The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Kyles first week!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Laws Posted - 03/03/2011 : 22:20:09
hey guys so we are on our third day of keeping a snake . im so so excited! kyle was born july '10 so about seven months old (im guessing hes a juvenile now ? im finding it hard to resist holding him as when we have had him out he is active after like hes still wanting to be out.
he got fed at the store on tuesday and we are planning on giving him a feed tomorro which will be his first . so want to hold him!
Right my question is will we need to get a surround to cover the lamp we have? in the pet store they didnt have any and it was a propper reptile centre ? Kyle isnt in his viv yet they suggested waiting 10 feeds and then putting him into the new viv .
The second question , how do we measure his size? im taking a rough guess that he is around 18 - 20 inches now? how does that equate in terms of feet?
third question , feeding . should we feed him in the tub he is currently living in or a seperate one? in the store she said she doesnt like to associate the snakes with being lifted out of the tank with feeding , instead they have got the routine of knocking on the glass when they ahndle them and not knocking when feeding that way they get used to vibrations ? what do u all think?
Loving this site and think the advice is great,
cheers
Law
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laws Posted - 04/03/2011 : 13:53:05
hey gmac that what we have been doin , hes done three poo's since we have had him but he had just been fed . thanks for all your support and advice , its hard when its your first as we want to make sure we do everything correct for him to be happy and healthy! i can certainly see us having more when we are used to this one! :)
Invalid User Posted - 04/03/2011 : 13:44:47
I use kitchen roll and when I have new snakes I just tear off the soiled bit so not to disturb them too much during the settling in time.
gmac Posted - 04/03/2011 : 13:44:10
just change the kitchen towel when it needs it, cant spot clean kitchen towel it just needs replacing.
Laws Posted - 04/03/2011 : 13:42:27
this is the other question , we have kitchen towel in the bottom , and apparently we shouldnt have cleaned him as often as we have (but he had pooped 3 times) we should have spot cleaned but that difficult with a paper towel ??
Sta~ple Posted - 04/03/2011 : 12:35:35
Not that often, like once or twice per mealish I think. They seem to poo more often after a travel for a bit so for example, petshop to you house.
Laws Posted - 04/03/2011 : 12:20:53
thanks guys good advice. we are giving him his first feed tonite , another quick question , how often should he poo? we had him tuesday and cleaned three poo's up so far . he was last fed tuesday ? handled him briefly while we cleaned him again and he is calming down each time , only doin it for less than five mins as we havent had him a week yet . have looked online for a light guard and are def going to get one . we have another 3 weeks before hes due to go in the viv . xxx
thistle Posted - 04/03/2011 : 08:58:29
I would think the knocking would just stress out the snake and is really not necessary. Many people feed inside the viv and I haven't heard of any problems with the snake confusing handling with mealtime. They can smell their dinner from a fair distance, so will know when it's coming and when it's not. Just don't handle any mice frozen/(defrosted or pet) before trying to pick him up without washing your hands thoroughly.

If you really want to do something to differentiate opening the viv for handling from opening it to feed then you could try just talking to him gently every time you go to lift him out.
Invalid User Posted - 04/03/2011 : 07:47:57
Yes as gmac said a lamp guard must be used and you will need one with very small gaps as he is quite little.

He's going to need loads of cover and hides in the viv as he is still small.

I don't do any of that knocking! Not heard of that before. I just pic them up to get them out or pick them up to put them in a feeding tub or just feed them in the tank. Not been bitten or struck at yet.
gmac Posted - 03/03/2011 : 22:33:38
answers

1 yes lamp guard is a must.

2, 1 foot is 12" so about 1ft 6 inches

3. is upto you where you feed in a rub or in his house, if in his house just put some paper down to stop any substrate ingestion

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000