The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 too cold in the cool end?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 14:26:58
moved my snake from a rub to a large exo faun on saturday, no probs getting it to heat up in the warm end, its between 27-29c, using a mat stat, but with the digi thermometer in the cool end its only averaging 14.5c

is this too cold? snake is usually in the warm end or in the middle of the faun but when i got up this morning he was in the hide in the cool end, just worried it might be too cold, if so how would I get it warmer, would covering some of the holes up work?

cheers.

John
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 12/04/2011 : 22:34:39
My heating broke down for a week in the coldest week on record, Spot was fine and overnight his cool end was dropping to about 7 degrees, it was ridiculously cold but he even ventured out of his heated hide for a wander, then back to his mat to keep warm. I like to keep the cold end at around 20 degrees but sometimes drops cant be helped.
ptmbradley Posted - 12/04/2011 : 22:23:02
This is why I love forums. :)

I bought a rub yesterday to move my corn into and have had it set up for 24 hours to make sure temps are ok before I move her, and was worried the cool end was too cold at about 15 degs overnight. But I did also think that surely if she gets cold she'll just move to the warm end or burrow into the aspen or something, but wanted to check here first. Just searching for a few seconds brings me an answer. Thanks guys, I'll stop worrying so much now. :)

She fed on Sunday and I've left her in peace since, but tomorrow I'm assuming I can introduce her to her new home, where she'll likely stay until big enough to move to a permanent viv in a year or two. :)
eeji Posted - 01/03/2011 : 21:59:18
corns aren't a tropical species so they're man enough to handle cooler temperatures anyway
esox Posted - 01/03/2011 : 16:07:35
think i will keep the mat & stat for my next snake instead then, put the heating on in the room and the cool end temp has gone up to 16/17c anyway.
Red123 Posted - 01/03/2011 : 14:33:25
I also use to worry about the cool end being too cold, my cool end temps hover around 17c during the day but drop 2-3 degrees at night. But like eeji said if they are too cold the snake will just move to the warm end. If they get too warm they will move back again. I've stopped worrying about the cool end temps now, as long as the warm end temps are good then all should be well:)
esox Posted - 01/03/2011 : 13:54:53
just can't decide what to do now, eeji has said not to worry too much, ant in the reptile shop today I explained to the bloke and he also said not to worry too much, he said corn snakes need to be able to get cool or it can freak them out??

I still bought the stat and heat mat but just really not sure what to do.

I know the ideal temp for the cool end should be 21c but im just worried adding the mat to the cool end might make it too hot for snakey.

any advice, for or against the extra mat & stat in the cool end, I would really appreciate it.

thanks

and thanks for any advice given.

eeji Posted - 28/02/2011 : 18:23:37
don't worry too much about the cool end, if your snake is cold he will move over a bit.
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 17:24:53
hi just another quick one, my local shop have no mat stats in stock, will the habistat temp stat be ok? looks similar to a mat stat.

cheers.
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 16:21:08
my missus wont have a snake in the living room or bedroom so I have got him in the spare bedroom which is used as a study room by myself. going to get a stat and heat mat tomorrow morning, rather than getting an earful from the missus.

cheers for advice.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:42:37
tbh esox, i dont think that having direct sun light or not really matters when it comes to corn snakes as in the wild they would use the sunlight to hat them selves up via basking (i think), take this as an example, the tank that houses my corn is only a metre away from the window and during midday time period, the sunlight is on 1 end of the tank and if she wants the sunlight she knows where to go, may i ask why shes in a non used room.
matty18714 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:39:20
Yep, 2 stats. Moving it to a warmer room would be a much cheaper option if possible. Some people would leave it as it is, but I don't like it being below 20*C.
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:26:24
thinking about it would obviously need another mat stat as it would be 2 different temps they would be set to.
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:24:49
cheers mate, can you have 2 heat mats running on one stat or will i need to buy another stat? also what is the ideal temp for the cool end? am i right in say its around 21c? will go and get another heat mat tomorrow.
matty18714 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:18:12
If you are using a mat, covering holes will make very little difference to the temperature as heat mats only increase the air temperature by a negligible amount. You're either going to have to run another heat mat set very low on the stat, change the room, or use bulb heating.
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 15:15:12
sorry, yeah still have the problem, just explaing that to keep the heat in the warm end i covered up some of the holes in the lid. thats what my 2nd post meant.

the faun is sitting on a polystyrene tile, using a 7w heat mat in the warm end, yeah the room can be pretty cold as its not a room that is used often so theres not usually any central heating on in that room. and the snake is kept in the corner of the room away from sunlight, can any of these things make a difference?

cheers for the reply.
matty18714 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 14:35:24
So do you have a problem or not?
esox Posted - 28/02/2011 : 14:29:15
thats what I done in the warm end to keep the heat up, covered some of the holes on the top with cardboard. its ok now and is keeping the heat.
matty18714 Posted - 28/02/2011 : 14:27:43
Is the room cold? What surface is the faun on? What heating method are you using?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000