The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 lfeeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lylalolly Posted - 25/02/2011 : 15:53:27
Hi, I'm about to be the proud new owner of my very first corn snake, I've been reading up on keeping corn snakes and something is really confusing me.
the information often say's not to handle your snake before or after feeding, however that it is best not to feed them in their viv, so where are you suppose to feed lilith? in a seperate heat controlled tank specailly for feeding??? kitchen side??? dinnerplate up the table with candle light for heat??......
and what to do with her after... let her digest for 48 hours before putting her back. oh' maybe a plastic tub in the viv, that would work? oh so confused...... everything else seems straight forward.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdlang Posted - 25/02/2011 : 20:54:33
Hi, welcome to the forum. If you feed in a seperate tub you don't really need any extra heat as your snake wont be in it long enough. Just pop snakie in the tub, drop in mousey then sit and watch. You may need to pop a lid on in case snakie prefers to escape instead of eat. Once your snake has eaten, wait for it to go down a bit. I usually wait until the mouse has gone about a third of the way down the snakes body and the snake is moving around again. Then I move the tub over to the viv/faun and gently lift the snake out and put into the viv/faun trying to support where the bump is. That short amount of contact shouldnt cause the snake to regurge. Alternatively, you can place some kitchen roll into your faun/viv and put mousy onto that.
eeji Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:32:16
handling after feeding means getting the snake out just for the sake of handling. picking them up and putting them back into their viv won't bother them.

If you have a baby and its not on a loose substrate you're ok feeding in the viv/tub/faun/whatever-he-lives-in
stuart619 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:12:12
As previously stated it stops the chance of ingesting substrate which could lead to compaction and can be very bad for your snake.

Also I pop mine in a smaller tub for feeding where I can put it on the scales and get a weight of the snake and the tub; then just take the weight of the tub away and you will have your snakes weight. I find that hatchlings way to fast to get on the scales any other way.

As for the not handling for 48 hours it is to reduce the chance of regurge.

By the way... Welcome to the forum
sparkaly Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:06:25
I would pop her into a separate container to feed (no need for any extra heat as it shouldn't take long) when she has fed gently pop her back into the viv for her food to digest :)
danny28490 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:05:32
i'm no expert and quite new to owning a snake but from what i've read on here this is what i make of it,

the feeding is a separate Rub or faun is to stop the chances of the snake swallowing substrate depending what your using as substrate depends if you have to move him or not, i use paper towel for my 8 month old corn and feed him in his faun.

the 48 hours after feeding is to stop chances of a regurge and it taking a poo on you, if you do feed in a different RuB or faun leave it a few hours after the snakes meal and move it back into its viv.

also i read on here if you use aspen or similar as substrate and feed him in his viv put his feed on some paper towel.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000