The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Advice on handling my baby corn please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Angelev Posted - 25/02/2011 : 11:09:32
Ok so ive had my baby corn "Alfie" for about 4 weeks now. I have been putting my hand in his tank everyday and just leaving it there. He has not once struck me or even seemed that bothered by my hand being there.
Last night i did the same and he came onto my hand and slid up my arm but as i put my other hand in front of him to stop him falling off, he got really skittish and very fast like he panicked. So how do i stop this from happening? Do i keep doing the same thing and persevere? I dont want him to be scared off me but at the same time i want him to get used to me.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lrv2307 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 17:54:17
quote:
Originally posted by stuart619

She is getting better she was crazy when I first got her. I'd rather her musk than bite though.

ive been bitten twice by my king lol, pics on here lol

but do love um lol
eeji Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:33:48
its a natural instinct that 'everything wants to eat me' that he'll grow out of as he gets a bit older.
stuart619 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 13:43:43
She is getting better she was crazy when I first got her. I'd rather her musk than bite though.
lrv2307 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 12:58:14
quote:
Originally posted by stuart619

The only tip I can give you as already pointed out is be confident. You have to remember in the wild they can be eaten by anything so their only real defence is to run away as fast as they can.

Remember that when you are picking him up not to come over the top of him. Most animals which can be prey to birds get really freaked out by this so just slip your hand under him and lift him out confidently but smoothly no sudden jolts.

He will grow out of it though and be lucky that he is not a milk snake I have a hatchling milk and she is prone to fleeing and musking.

my king musked constanly at first, but she doesnt anymore......they chill out lovely :)
stuart619 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 12:10:52
The only tip I can give you as already pointed out is be confident. You have to remember in the wild they can be eaten by anything so their only real defence is to run away as fast as they can.

Remember that when you are picking him up not to come over the top of him. Most animals which can be prey to birds get really freaked out by this so just slip your hand under him and lift him out confidently but smoothly no sudden jolts.

He will grow out of it though and be lucky that he is not a milk snake I have a hatchling milk and she is prone to fleeing and musking.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 11:19:20
as the corn is only a hatchling, they will panick and shoot off, but this will calm down the more you handle him, just make sure that when u handle him you support his mid section and try not to let him dangle and thas the basics really.
oh and 1 more thing be convident and enjoy it

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000