The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 oh dear

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stotty01 Posted - 24/02/2011 : 23:16:04
at work today and a couple and there 2 children come in today looking to buy a corn snake they all have a hold of the hatchlings everythings going all fine and dandy then they guy starts asking about how much profits he can make and when can he put them together and could he sell them for alot of money i honestly said there is not really alot of money in the breeding of corn snakes its really only for 'fun???' and that you end up losing profit.... he end up saying oh ok thanks and then walked out....it makes me sick that people will only but them for the profit side of it anyone else agree or breeders have a similar experience?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Newbie Posted - 26/02/2011 : 20:36:18
I kind of feel sorry for the kids...presumably if dad wasn't interested in breeding corns anymore, he possibly wouldn't buy a snake at all, poor kids probably got excited about a new pet! I was a nightmare for pets as a kid, I would've howled all the way home!
Benji54 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 17:54:51
i think anaimals and compassion aside, its allways leaves a bit of a sour taste when people come in to buy "product" from you and ask your advice on how to make money from it...it happens in all retail industry and it is as mike says, necessary for that industry but it allways sucks when someone wants to, essentailly, make money from you. as was said, this is all speculative so i wont comment on the snake example in particular but i can see why stotty mas miffed PLUS he was there to see the guys attitude so if he says he was irresponsible, i havent got a lot more to go on lol! maybe the kids just wanted to see the snakes and the dad was making idle chit chat in a kind of "hows business...?" fashion?
mikerichards Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:46:41
thing is, people buy these snakes to breed and make a profit. The simple fact is, if they didnt, you probably wouldnt have the pet you have now.
Its not about whether they buy to breed and make a profit, its about whether those animals are well cared for in the process.
Tiffany-x Posted - 25/02/2011 : 16:43:43
Im with Stotty on this one, you shouldnt buy an animal for a profit, to me they are pets first profit second, you need to love them. And they should be fun, the exitement of them hatching and seeing what morphs you get. I mean come on guys, everyone on here must love snakes or you wouldnt be here. I totally get where you are coming from Alex and I agree with you honey! :)
Tiffany-x
lotabob Posted - 25/02/2011 : 01:57:48
I am glad he didn't take any, his motivation was all wrong. And correct its all speculation. But going off the perceived attitude if the guy it would have been wrong for him to take them. I'm glad that there are breeders but I'd prefer to know any snakes I buy have care prioritised over profit. Luckily its clear that everyone on here does care so your all alright in my book even K Ramsey and his snake saute.
danny28490 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 01:26:34
tbh from the sounds of it someone that is asking about profit before the welfare and care of the animal is looking to make a quick buck and not the welfare of the snake nor the enjoyment of owning a rep is, i'd of been way more hacked off if he had walked out the door with 2 snakes knowing there likely gonna be mistreated and used to try make some profit on rather thn enjoyment.
mikerichards Posted - 25/02/2011 : 01:16:14
there is nothing wrong with being annoyed at him for leaving, however, answer me this....
would you be more annoyed if he bought one, or even two??
Kehhlyr Posted - 25/02/2011 : 01:15:59
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Anyone who owns an animal whether it be 1 or 50+ should in my opinion love the animals, now I know for a fact you love your animals...........

My snow corn who died last year was so loved by me that he tasted bloody lovely fried with a bit of onion and parsley.
gmac Posted - 25/02/2011 : 01:15:02
quote:

as we can only go off the vibe given off that annoyed Stotty

Stotty was already found out bigging up his story earlier, i wouldnt be hasty to judge people. Partcularly as the guy had made his decision not to get them, if he had decided to get them anyway he may well have asked all about the keeping etc.

This is pure gueswork going on in this thread.
lotabob Posted - 25/02/2011 : 01:03:19
Turning and leaving sounds like he has no interest in snakes. No interest in snakes means only interested in money. Only interested in money can lead to, cheap setup, minimum feeding, lack of care. You have to have a passion for what you are doing, specially with living creatures involved, if its not fun why bother.

Anyone who owns an animal whether it be 1 or 50+ should in my opinion love the animals, now I know for a fact you love your animals and they are your pets that you are thinking of breeding and not a couple of animals your thinking of putting together to make money so your scenario cant be compared to the predicted (as we can only go off the vibe given off that annoyed Stotty) scenario motivating the guy in the shop.
Invalid User Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:51:02
quote:

Argumentative!

Its perfectly fine to feel annoyance when working with the public, they are an odd lot and do things that can irratate you specially when its in relation to something your passionate about.

Not Argumentative the op says

'it makes me sick that people will only but them for the profit side of it anyone else agree?'

I have replied.
mikerichards Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:46:54
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

Bringing your kids in, letting them handle them and then turning on your heal when you find out their is no money in breeding just seems like odd behaviour for a potential breeder. Sounds more like someone looking to make a few pound with very little consideration for anything else. Thats just how it comes accross to me and how it seems it came accross to Stotty and as they were there and could probably better judge the situation the response is perfectly justifiable

I am a potential breeder. I have 4 corns that will make great breeding pairs in a few years. I may well go into a rep shop, with my daughter and have a look at a few other possible corns for breeding purposes. Me and my daughter may hold the snakes. I would also ask what sort of results I would get from the snakes if bred and what sort of price the babies could sell for. If I then walk out the shop without buying the snake, what would that make me?

A tease??
lotabob Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:46:49
Argumentative!

Its perfectly fine to feel annoyance when working with the public, they are an odd lot and do things that can irratate you specially when its in relation to something your passionate about.

Invalid User Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:41:32
quote:

Bringing your kids in, letting them handle them and then turning on your heal when you find out their is no money in breeding just seems like odd behaviour for a potential breeder. Sounds more like someone looking to make a few pound with very little consideration for anything else. Thats just how it comes accross to me and how it seems it came accross to Stotty and as they were there and could probably better judge the situation the response is perfectly justifiable

I am a potential breeder. I have 4 corns that will make great breeding pairs in a few years. I may well go into a rep shop, with my daughter and have a look at a few other possible corns for breeding purposes. Me and my daughter may hold the snakes. I would also ask what sort of results I would get from the snakes if bred and what sort of price the babies could sell for. If I then walk out the shop without buying the snake, what would that make me?
mikerichards Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:39:55
I agree with what Lou has said, its better that he found out through you than through years of waiting and not getting anywhere.
I can speak from the other side of the arguement, i dont have 50 odd snakes for fun!!
lotabob Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:30:59
stotty01 Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:29:08
quote:

I see what you mean Stotty. Totally skipping the part about how to keep them, what are they like to keep etc, going stright into the how much money can they make me, like they are talking about some investment account at a bank rather than a living breathing creature that (AS WE AL KNOW) provide hours and hours of fascination and joy. Failing to see the animals we adore as the animals that we adore would annoy me too.

thats what im trying to get at...sorry i probally all confused you now
Invalid User Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:21:10
quote:

I see what you mean Stotty. Totally skipping the part about how to keep them, what are they like to keep etc, going stright into the how much money can they make me, like they are talking about some investment account at a bank rather than a living breathing creature that (AS WE AL KNOW) provide hours and hours of fascination and joy. Failing to see the animals we adore as the animals that we adore would annoy me too.

Ok so he may have come across in a wrong way but whats the point of going into a shop and asking all about how to care for an animal if you want to breed it for a profit, to then find out there is no money to be made? If you had said yes, money can be made from breeding corns, then he may well have gone on to ask how to keep the snakes correctly?

I would just hate to be judged that way if I went into a rep shop, look at some snakes and asked about breeding them.
lotabob Posted - 25/02/2011 : 00:14:36
stotty01 Posted - 24/02/2011 : 23:53:27
but they wernt to worried about the care and so on they just wanted to have the money side of things

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000