The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Advice - feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CentricMalteser Posted - 22/02/2011 : 23:23:03
Hi all,

quick question,

When matey of mine had a 6 month old anerythristic motley about 1ft 9ins (he had it since it was 4months old, and has grown 6 inches in that time and shed twice), he use to feed it 2 pinkies every 3 days, and now has just moved it onto one fuzzy every 3 days but the girth (body thickness) only seems that of my ring finger

Anyway, back to my query - Cecil - 2 month old Snow corn (born Dec 2010) at 1ft 5ins shed only once after she was born and not since, whilst at the pet shop, she was fed one pinky every 7 days and then moved onto 2 pinkies every 7 days

Ive moved her onto 1 fuzzy, but the question is should i feed eher every 3 days like my mates, since she is a young one,
as she had 2 pinkies 4 days ago, and yesterday she was hungry, displaying signs for food, and when i dangled the defrosted warm fuzzy, she struck it without hesitation.

And she is at a thickness of my little finger,

Thanks
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 01:02:47
ok, cool, well I don't really intend on breeding my female to be honest, so thats not needed

coolio, thing this topic can be closed now lol
matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 01:01:43
You will find that the vast majority of people here have never used it. Its normally only used when the snakes resources are being used, such as a female forming eggs.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:57:11
finally one more thing

what about calcium and vitamin d3 supplements

as just reading generally about lighting and come across something about this

some people advise strongly you do by adding some powder on mice tail, others say not neccesary?
matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:35:49
A quick tip for anyone worried about what size mice to feed. Next time you're at the rep shop, by one of each size mouse. Keep 'em in the freezer and you can use them as a guide before buying many of the next size up.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:35:06
Thanks for the reassurance, all is appreciated

quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Just as an example I have some corns age 18 months and one age 10 months. All are different lengths and weights but similar girth and all are on the same size mouse.

Invalid User Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:33:22
Just as an example I have some corns age 18 months and one age 10 months. All are different lengths and weights but similar girth and all are on the same size mouse.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:30:56
Thanks both of you for that info, appreciated,
matty18714 Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:26:33
With feeding, I always think you should stop using numbers and instead use your eyes. The length and age makes no difference. If the prey fits the right size, feed the snake. Watch it eat and see how it changes its body shape. You will get a much better feel for feeding that way.
gmac Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:24:49
age is irrelevant, it is the girth that determines the food size.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:23:04
And despite only being 2 months old,, at 17inches length = 1ft 5ins, she is now on the right size, I mean the fuzzy matches the 1.5x rule, but im asking taking into consideration her age and length
gmac Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:17:12
yes as she grows into the next prey size just move up
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:12:54
@mike, so judge by her growth and shedding and size etc, before moving up, instead of introdcuing slightly bigger meals each time? got you

@gmac, so once she's happy with fuzzies and, her girth is wide enough at the widest point, then go to 1 hopper, then 1 weaned and so forth (a chart i got from here for types of mice and size etc is really useful, keep referring to it for names of size of mice lol)?
gmac Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:07:19
if its on fuzzies wouldn't bother going to fuzzy + pinkie once it is big enough it just moves up prey size, also prey size is 1.5 x snakes girth at its widest.
mikerichards Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:06:52
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

my mates corn shed every 4 weeks bang on time, from blue eyes to complete shed, the timing was perfect,

my one - Cecil, Chart shows born December 2010, shows a shed in December 2010, fed every 7 days, intially 1 pinky and then 2 pinkies

i put her the other day on 1 fuzzy which she attacked as if she been starving lol

so every 5 days 1 fuzzy, working her up according to girth (1.5x mouth width),

and then work her up to after 10 feeds like that, to 1 fuzzy and 1 pinky after 10 feeds like that, to 2 fuzzies and so forth

and you think the shedding info might be missing from the chart given?

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

in short, no. if you want to get some food in for a bit of growth, go every 5 days, 3 is too short a period.
i get the feeling that something isnt right about your mates corn, if fed that often, you should see a shed every 3 weeks, 4 tops. same with yours, yours is 17 inches, thats prob about 5 sheds at least. something is missing from your records.
stick with 5 days, you cant go wrong then.

I would forget that bit, you cant put a time on how fast they grow.
i would definately say you got info missing from yours, at 17 inches, the snake wont have just shed once.
CentricMalteser Posted - 23/02/2011 : 00:04:55
my mates corn shed every 4 weeks bang on time, from blue eyes to complete shed, the timing was perfect,

my one - Cecil, Chart shows born December 2010, shows a shed in December 2010, fed every 7 days, intially 1 pinky and then 2 pinkies

i put her the other day on 1 fuzzy which she attacked as if she been starving lol

so every 5 days - 1 fuzzy, working her up according to girth (1.5x mouth width),

and then work her up to after 10 feeds like that, to 1 fuzzy and 1 pinky after 10 feeds like that, to 2 fuzzies and so forth

and you think the shedding info might be missing from the chart given?

will stick to the 5 day rule, just that at pets at home and other places that stock corn snakes near me, i read them thin leaflet things and states until one yr old, that they shud b fed 2-4 days, so this is just some random person giving random info i take it??

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

in short, no. if you want to get some food in for a bit of growth, go every 5 days, 3 is too short a period.
i get the feeling that something isnt right about your mates corn, if fed that often, you should see a shed every 3 weeks, 4 tops. same with yours, yours is 17 inches, thats prob about 5 sheds at least. something is missing from your records.

tehbunneh Posted - 22/02/2011 : 23:35:30
Sounds like your friend is power-feeding his corn in the hope of making it grow faster x.x He's more likely to get a fat little corn and one that can barely be handled, due to the 48hr period needed after! Corn snakes NEVER feed that frequently in the wild, and the aim is to give them that similar feeding schedule in captivity, as their systems are built for longer periods between meals.

Personally, I would say stick to the 5-7day period that most would suggest for one that young, and with food that is 1.5x the girth of her widest bit. Over feeding will cause a fat snake, and upping food too early can result in regurging, and that can be a harrowing experience at the best of times!
mikerichards Posted - 22/02/2011 : 23:35:05

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000