The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat mat issues

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 22/02/2011 : 15:27:13
Frank and Keith both 6 months old have now moved into their own 2 ft vivs, they seem to be enjoying having the extra space to roam in and they have lots of hides and tubes and plants for coverage. The problem is Keith insists on curling up under his heat mat. It looks quite funny the mat moves slightly and out pop his head. I've tried weighting it down and drawing pins in to keep it down but he always finds away under it. I don't want to tape it for obvious reasons and have had a viv which I had second hand that had a false floor over the top of the heat mat but it was all smelly and damp under it from where the snake poopeed on the mat then it condensated between the false floor and mat.

Is it going to cause Keith any harm curling up under the heat mat? The mat is on a habistat mat stat and keeps the temp of the mat at around 28-29c the probe is directly on top of the mat with a digital thermometer attached to it.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Red123 Posted - 22/02/2011 : 18:39:24
The probe seems to be staying in place I think mainly because of his size, the mat only lifts up a small amount.

He has a small box on top the heat mat as well as a kitchen towel inner tube and some foliage so he has a choice. He also has 3 cool hides. He is generally quite naughty always looking for something to get under or climb on top of.
mikerichards Posted - 22/02/2011 : 18:32:24
Have you got a hide on the heat mat? It's likely that he is looking for somewhere warm and to hide, which is the cause of the issue.
CentricMalteser Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:48:45
Use Geocel aquarium sealant, bought from most shops that sell fish and garden centres

it can be safely used as a glue but you have to leave to dry for 24 hours, and not less as while its drying the fumes are toxic,

its when its fully cured it is safe

recommended by several persons who have corn snakes

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Frank and Keith both 6 months old have now moved into their own 2 ft vivs, they seem to be enjoying having the extra space to roam in and they have lots of hides and tubes and plants for coverage. The problem is Keith insists on curling up under his heat mat. It looks quite funny the mat moves slightly and out pop his head. I've tried weighting it down and drawing pins in to keep it down but he always finds away under it. I don't want to tape it for obvious reasons and have had a viv which I had second hand that had a false floor over the top of the heat mat but it was all smelly and damp under it from where the snake poopeed on the mat then it condensated between the false floor and mat.

Is it going to cause Keith any harm curling up under the heat mat? The mat is on a habistat mat stat and keeps the temp of the mat at around 28-29c the probe is directly on top of the mat with a digital thermometer attached to it.

matty18714 Posted - 22/02/2011 : 16:44:17
He is unlikely to burn himself on the mat however it will ruin the specific hot spot you have made when he moves the mat. My mats have been taped down and then a larger piece of lino placed over it which is stuck to the base with aquarium sealant. This makes a water tight seal that is safe for the snake.

Edit - Also, if hes moving the mat, he is probably moving your stat and temp probes. With the method I've explained above you can stick the probes to the lino which gives you a constant temperature reading and they are easy for you to remove.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000