The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 New snake owner by surprise

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
danhalen Posted - 22/02/2011 : 13:22:24
Hey all! This is likely to be a long one, so I apologise in advance. The situation is this: Three days ago, I kind of rescued/stole a young corn. This is my first snake and I don't know much about them, but I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible so I can get snakie settled and happy asap.

Windy-man (placeholder name until I can think of something better than his previous name of Killer) came into my possession after seeing his poor living conditions. I hanging out with a friend and his flatmate in the flatmate's room when I clocked a small plastic vivarium in the corner, on top of an upturned cardboard box (lucky I noticed it at all, with an unwashed jumper draped over part of). I asked the guy what he was keeping in there and he said 'Oh, it's just a snake. I got it a few months ago because I thought it would be cool, but it's actually pretty boring'. I was raging! It was just a plactic box with a slotted lid and totally covered in dust! No substrate or hides or anything inside- just a small bowl of water, some dried-up poops (wtf?!) and this poor little snake, curled up in the corner, looking totally miserable! He didn't even have a heat source or anything (it stays pretty warm and stuffy in the room, but still! I don't know much about the care of snakes, but anyone who paid attention in primary school science class should know how they work). The guy also lives like a slob and chain-smokes in his room all day, so I decided to take literally take snakie away from all that and try to give him a nicer life. I brought him back to my place immediately and set up a temporary home of a big plastic storage box lined with a fluffy towel, gave him a big bowl of fresh water and a few kitchen roll tubes, put one end of the box against the radiator on a low heat and went about ordering his brand new vivarium and all the things needed to keep him healthy and happy (this site has been a complete lifesaver, btw).

Luckily, I have a pretty good idea of his background, but I'm still a little concerned about a couple of things. I'd like to take him to a vet, just to make sure there are no major problems caused by how he was treated before I got him, but I intend on letting him settle in for a full two weeks before trying to pick him up or anything. I do know that he's 1 year and 8 months old and has only been handled by the breeder. His previous owner just never bothered. He wasn't on any kind of feeding schedule since he's nearly 2 and only just over 2 feet in length. I asked the guy how often he was feeding, he just shrugged and said 'whenever I remember..maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks?' He's still on large pinkies and they seem to be about right for his size. His previous owner would simply toss a thawed out mouse into the vivarium, never tried to feed him properly.

I've now got him sorted out with a brand new vivarium, heat mat, thermostat and digital thermometers (with temps as close to perfect as possible and steady), aspen substrate, two coconut hides, nice water bowl and some fake plants for hiding. He hasn't come out much, but I'm assuming that will start to change after he starts feeling more comfortable in his new home. What I would like to know is how often I should feed him, bearing in mind his age, size and previous treatment. I'm currently under the impression that once weekly or once every ten days will be fine for now, just wanting to make sure. I'm also concerned about handling him when the time comes. Is there anything I should expect from a 2 year-old snake who's never been handled?

Thanks for any advice you guys have, I was SO relieved to find this place. It's not like me to take in random animals in distress without learning about them first, but I couldn't bear the thought of leaving him there for one more minute. And I'm sure there are many things here which have been asked and answered a million times, I probably didn't search for the right terms. Sorry about that
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danhalen Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:41:02
Wow, this is probably the friendliest forum I've ever seen! Thanks for the advice and kind words. I finally took a few minutes and uploaded some pics to the almighty bukkit of photos, I'll post them in the appropriate thread momentarily. :D
CentricMalteser Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:38:12
At last decent people!!!

Well done mate for taking it off him, it's certainly a lot better than RSPCA being involved, as they have limited resources and from watching documentaries based in the UK, I have seen a couple of snakes (not corns) put down, becaus eof neglect

Pat on your back, and keep up the good work

PS where abouts are you moving in the South East?
thistle Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:29:08
Can't add anything to the excellent advice you've already been given so just wanted to say well done for rescuing this little guy.
lotabob Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:07:35
You've done the right thing, its great that there are people out there willing to go the extra mile or 10 to help an animal in need. He will reward you everyday they are a joy to look after. Once you have him settled in you'll soon get to grips with handling and they are just fadcinating to watch. I spend hours just watching mine.
Mort13 Posted - 22/02/2011 : 21:02:41
Hi and well done on the rescue. Sounds like he's gone from being neglected to a now spoilt little snake.
Best of it is as he's only young he gets to spend the best part of his life well looked after.
Give yourself a huge pat on the back for this.
Strawb Posted - 22/02/2011 : 20:39:52
Well rescued chap.
I got my corn snake last year after it tried to break into some ones house. It was delivered to me in a bucket.
I handled her regularly from the very beginning and the initial nervousness soon wore off.
You said the previous owner was a chain smoker. You might have a little more difficulty taming your corn because it has to give up smoking.
All the best with your first snake (trust me, you will get more) and enjoy it, they can be real personalities.
tehbunneh Posted - 22/02/2011 : 18:25:26
My folks are in the South East, and are just about to transport their 3 year old corn up to me here in Worcester, with his viv and everything. My four have all travelled really well in RUBs, so I'd suggest the same to you, if you do upgrade him before the move. I stop regularly to give water (don't leave a dish in, as if it spills, the snake will cool too quick and may get stressed more then the move is already doing to him). Otherwise, corns are pretty hardy, and don't seem to mind travelling too much! Ripley of my guys even seems to enjoy it, coming out slithering in his RUB to investigate and catch the sun XD

Again, congrats, and if you aren't too worried about his weight, especially if he puts on a good amount of weight on the mice (I think Widget is just a bit frailer then most of mine cos of his kinks and doesn't keep weight on so well) then I wouldn't worry! Keep records of his feeds and sheds, I would recommend maybe weighing and measuring at one point in each month - some people do this every week in terms of weight - just so you know where you stand with his general well being and just carry on as you are ^^ For such a newbie, you're doing really well!
herriotfan Posted - 22/02/2011 : 18:07:30
Awww, poor little guy. Thank goodness you noticed him and rescued him. You're a star!!
The only thing I would add is to suggest the old sock trick.....where you pop an old sock or small bit of clothing in your top for the day so it gets covered with your smell. Then put it in the snakes hide so your smell is with him all the time in his 'safe' place. I suggest this to most new owners and the feedback is generally positive!
Good luck. Please ask if there's any other help you need.
Sta~ple Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:32:06
All I can say is well done and I wish there were more people like you out there!
lrv2307 Posted - 22/02/2011 : 17:00:20
OMG, well like lucy, cant add anymore, but give you all the support and pats on the back for saving him mate

and i would deff keep him in the faun till the big move has been done

again well done you
lucyloop Posted - 22/02/2011 : 16:37:45
Well done you, I am sure most people on this site would have done the same thing. You will notice when looking on here that any questions get answered quickly or you are guided to the correct area. I don't think I can add anything that the guys above haven't already said apart from he will most likely be fine in the faun for a bit longer as when they are only smallish the viv seems like a big place for them and they are naturally agoraphobic I think so enjoy smaller spaces than huge wide open ones. Well done again and welcom to the forum!
danhalen Posted - 22/02/2011 : 16:30:10
Woo, quick replies! You guys rock :D

@Kehhlyr: I did see the care sheet- it's the first thing I read when I found the site and has been incredibly helpful. I'm not worried about him biting at this size as he has already done so twice and I didn't realise until I saw that his little face was attached to my hand, haha. More concerned about his speed (had no idea how incredibly quick they are!), relatively small size and the fact that I will be inclined to grab and squeeze if he tries to escape from my hands. Don't wanna crush him, poor thing!

@tehbunneh: He did look a little underweight when I first got him, but it didn't seem too extreme. Somewhere between a toblerone and a loaf of bread. Like if someone had gotten very drunk and attempted to mold a loaf of bread into the shape of a toblerone..if that makes sense, haha. I fed him on a towel the day I brought him home and he went right for it, got it down in a matter of a few minutes and didn't seem to have any problems. Thanks for the tip about the rat pups, I'll stock my freezer this week :)

@kdlang: Thanks for the advice! I basically just said to the guy 'right, you're abusing this animal, so I'm taking him out of here and home with me' and that was it. I offered to pay him, he just shrugged and lit another fag. Total jerk, but I'm kinda glad because I fall in love a little more every time I look at snakie.

He's currently living in an Exo Terra flat faunarium (18" x 12" x 6.5") and seems all right for the moment until I (get paid and) can buy him a nicer, sturdier home. I'm going to be moving from Scotland to the southeast part of England within the next couple of months, which is a pretty big move, so I'm wondering if he's better off staying in the faunarium until after I move or if I should just go ahead and get him into the vivarium next week.

I'm told he's an amel bloodred, will try to get photos up soon so the experts can verify this!
kdlang Posted - 22/02/2011 : 16:27:20
Wow well done for the rescue. I imagine his previous owner wont even be bothered that he is gone. How did you tell him that you were taking his snake?

As K said he may be a bit nippy. He will probably be very quick and try his hardest to get away. He may strike at you. If he does bite you it won't hurt so don't be afraid of him as he will pick up on it. While he is settling in just put your hand in to change his water and spot check every day. I usually run my hand through the substrate and over as much viv furniture as I can with newbies so they can get used to my smell. When you do go to get him out, remove some of the viv furniture so that he has less to hide in or wrap his tail around. I have had lots of fun trying to hold snake with one hand while unravelling his tail from fake plants. Be as confident as you can. The saying is to'fake it til you feel it'.

I'm sure now he is in an ideal home and being well cared for he will blossom and grow well.
tehbunneh Posted - 22/02/2011 : 15:17:16
Wow, congrats to you on a superb job there at rescuing the poor chap! Is he underweight at all (think toblerone, rather then loaf of bread). You may be able to help him along to getting back to a good body condition with some rat pups of about the same size as his pinkies. I'm currently doing that with one of mine who just can't seem to get his weight up on just mice and was looking far too sharp for my liking.

Sounds like you've got him in a perfect setup now, and you should start to see a good improvement in him soon, I should reckon! You've done a great thing for the poor little snake by taking him on so quickly and efficiently! Sounds like he is going to get a fantastic new start!
ozziesmum Posted - 22/02/2011 : 14:27:50
Well done you, I got mine in similar circumstances but mine weren't treated badly, you've come to the right place here so good luck.
Kehhlyr Posted - 22/02/2011 : 13:28:39
First off, well done for doing what you did. I would've done the same.

The only thing that I would say to possibly expect is he may be a little nippy, but that should subside over time.
As for feeding, stick with the large pinkies for a while (every 7 days) until you can see he's taking them fine and then move up prey items as need be. Just remember to leave him alone for about 48 hours after feeding to digest his food.

Have you looked at the caresheet on the main page? that gives a lot of handy info as well.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000