The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 my first hold of amber

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 15/02/2011 : 13:42:58
hey guys, just want to let u know that once again amber came to my hand while i was changing her water, so i took the plunge and got hold of her nicely and gently, she didnt panic or anything, quite relaxed actually and she even seemed to enjoy being held. even though it was only for 5 mins, i see what all of u mean when u say corns are soft, shes like silk, also as her fauns in the tank, i may lift the lid on her faun later and let her get her excercise (obviously while im keeping a close eye on her in there.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 19/02/2011 : 16:39:24
i meant that i did when i first had her, im not doing it anymore, it was literally done that once and thas it, i was just trying to explain that to gilly thas all
Sta~ple Posted - 19/02/2011 : 16:34:55
A hatchie has more than enough room in a faun, trust me! It's only big fat snakes that need exercise. I've had hatchoes in a fish tank before, they really don't like it! They much more prefer small spaces.
gmac Posted - 19/02/2011 : 16:27:35
what exercise, her faun is big enough for that, why put her in a large open space that may just stress her out
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 19/02/2011 : 16:24:15
i was gunna use the tank for her to get her excercise but accually keeping her in the tank, i wouldnt do that, in a manner of speaking yh, she kind of does live in the tank due to her faun being in there and her being in the faun but shes never accually loose in the tank and being left alone to her own devices, if i ever put her in there for excercise, then i never take my eyes off her and she goes bk in her faun straight after.
GillyDuncan Posted - 19/02/2011 : 00:27:20
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

theres no holes in the tank lid anymore either, ive sealed them with only 1 small hatch that is always securely fastened shut unless i open it for what ever reason thas needed, also she aint strong enough yet to lift the lid up as its too heavy and tightly fitted to be easily lifted off, an adult corn more than likely would though

Sounds like you keep the hatchie in the tank.........

If you don't then it wouldn't matter if there was NO lid on it.
lotabob Posted - 16/02/2011 : 21:06:47
Oh they are quick alright, Spot can cover the width of the viv in a blink of an eye. I've handled hatchlings that are even quicker than that too. and I don't hold milk snake hatchies, they are just too fast and unpredictable for my big clumsy hands.

I was suggesting holding within the tank or any box where the only way out is up and I'm also aware they are great climbers and can seem to fly when they give a turn of speed. As a suggestion though it would be better than the no precautions at all method and it would be highly unfair to suggest not handling the snake at all.
mikerichards Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:57:53
I get the feeling you aren't actually aware of just how fast they can move, to say they can jump would be stretching the truth a long way, however they can get to a speed in which they could over shoot the fish tank in a very very short time.
I have a ghost who is that quick, I have dropped him a couple of times because he's so quick, he doesn't fall, he travels about 2ft in the air on his way down.

I think I shall just stay quiet and await the 'lost again' thread.
lotabob Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:40:27
I mean for handling to prevent escapes, if you want all examples of things they can climb they are able to press their bellies into corners and go up the sides, Spot did that until he got too heavy.

If the corny lives in the faun but you use the tank as extra protection while handling then its unlikely you'll not notice it climbing up the sides.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:18:07
theres no holes in the tank lid anymore either, ive sealed them with only 1 small hatch that is always securely fastened shut unless i open it for what ever reason thas needed, also she aint strong enough yet to lift the lid up as its too heavy and tightly fitted to be easily lifted off, an adult corn more than likely would though
Katie.Dublin Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:14:21
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

As you more than others should be very aware of, if you aren't paying attention even for a second they are gone and under your floor boards before you know it. If I remember rightly though, your using a fairly tall fish tank so escape would be almost impossible providing you dont have decor up the sides, they are good at escape but not that good. The tank is too big at the moment for him to be in though if your handling I would say do it in or over the tank for a while until your confident and able to catch a hold and control a quick snake.

She can climb the cables up to the top!

Yeah snakes can escape from anywhere if you arent being careful. Eg, a sleeve which is actually ON you!
Invalid User Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:12:37
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

As you more than others should be very aware of, if you aren't paying attention even for a second they are gone and under your floor boards before you know it. If I remember rightly though, your using a fairly tall fish tank so escape would be almost impossible providing you dont have decor up the sides, they are good at escape but not that good. The tank is too big at the moment for him to be in though if your handling I would say do it in or over the tank for a while until your confident and able to catch a hold and control a quick snake.

She can climb the cables up to the top!

ilovemypets1988 Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:10:19
thas the idea lotabob, when im handling her, if she gets loose and free, i can easily get her bk when im over or just inside the tank without any worrie of her going somewhere that i cant rescue her and put her bk in her faun, at least if she manages to get out of my hands and falls into the tank, theres nowhere she can go that i wont beable to catch her
lotabob Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:01:54
Katie.Dublin Posted - 16/02/2011 : 20:00:30
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Not good.

True!
mikerichards Posted - 16/02/2011 : 19:57:02
What is it that makes you think that it needs exercise? Surely you would learn from you initial experience in which you lost the snake!
You didn't even look for it??? Not good.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 16/02/2011 : 19:48:14
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

i see what all of u mean when u say corns are soft, shes like silk, also as her fauns in the tank, i may lift the lid on her faun later and let her get her excercise (obviously while im keeping a close eye on her in there.

But haven't you had a snake before? You said that you had it up your sleeve but you lost it in the floorboards and never looked for it. So you should know how they feel?
Also, not a good idea letting it loose..!
Invalid User Posted - 16/02/2011 : 07:25:22
quote:
Originally posted by lrv2307

i have my snow corn hatchie (7 months old) in a full size viv,
she hides lots, i have lots of hiding places for her, but she comes out in the evening and has a good ol explore

never a problem

Yes but his hatchling is just 3 weeks old and has now been put in a 4ft tank??

lrv2307 Posted - 15/02/2011 : 17:19:26
i have my snow corn hatchie (7 months old) in a full size viv,
she hides lots, i have lots of hiding places for her, but she comes out in the evening and has a good ol explore

never a problem
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 15/02/2011 : 13:51:11
ok fair enough, it was just an idea anyway, i would never let her escape and never risk it either
Invalid User Posted - 15/02/2011 : 13:48:54
Nooooo, don't let her out the faun! The huge 4ft glass space will just frighten her plus no matter how carefully you watch her she will be extremly fast when she wants and while you blink she will be gone!!!

May just be me but I would never let go of a snake that small or let them 'explore' out their faun. You should keep hold of her all the time until she is much bigger.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000