The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Need help o balance my mind

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie 105 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 22:28:21
Hi I have a corn snake and like the look of the gold dust corns or the butter motleys but I also want a milk snake a king snake and a royal python I need help as I can only afford one !! Can you pick one and tell me why you picked it ?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 14/02/2011 : 16:33:52
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I think that there is a valid point in being worried about a bite, if you are scared of a snake because of what they are capable of, paired with their temperament then wait till you are confident. The whole reason my cali went is because she chewed me nearly every time I had her out! Being worried about a bite is the main reason people start with corns and royals, they are far less likely to tag you than some other species. I want a mangrove, however I really would be worried about a bite, will certainly ruin my day.
Newbie, one thing I can promise, if you handle a king straight after your corn you probably will be bitten, and it won't be just a bite, it will hold and chew.
However, by being hygienic and washing your hands between snakes as you should, the risk is minimised.

I do have to agree you.... I really did worry about getting a king because of the bites, I know it wont hurt it's just I rather not get bitten and constantly getting bitten probably would put me off and it's the reason why I wanted to start with a baby king so it would get used to me and maybe not bite me when older. I did get an adult though, not sure if it's cause I've had him 2 weeks or he thinks he's another snake or animal or someone lied about his age, but no feist what so ever, not even towards food which is kind of disappointing. All the research in books and on the internet saying MBK and calis are the worst for biting... kinda makes me feel like I'm misisng out but at the same time lucky.
lee2308 Posted - 14/02/2011 : 12:07:49
quote:
Originally posted by scubadude

[quote]tolerant of handling, but not the most active in the world.

lmao,not sure on the handling,only got to look at mine the wrong way and he dont eat for 6 months,but your right about the activity,mine only moves to change hides
scubadude Posted - 14/02/2011 : 09:42:21
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

royals are just fat lazy slugs

How very dare you sir they aren't fat lazy slugs, they are rotund, relaxed..... ok fair play, did you have to be so harsh
royals are great though, very relaxed and tolerant of handling, but not the most active in the world.
Invalid User Posted - 14/02/2011 : 08:57:26
I got my king snake after my corns and was a bit nervous about being bitten due to their reputation! As my snakes are still all in their quarentine period I am extra careful (as you will have to be) about handling one snake after another. I wash my hands and arms with antibacterial soap then use antibacterial hand gel too. So far my king has been fantastic, easy to handle, has not tried to strike out at me or bite me.

I think a king snake is a great step up from a corn. They are as easy to care for as corns but have a bit more attitude to them.
mikerichards Posted - 14/02/2011 : 07:20:19
I think that there is a valid point in being worried about a bite, if you are scared of a snake because of what they are capable of, paired with their temperament then wait till you are confident. The whole reason my cali went is because she chewed me nearly every time I had her out! Being worried about a bite is the main reason people start with corns and royals, they are far less likely to tag you than some other species. I want a mangrove, however I really would be worried about a bite, will certainly ruin my day.
Newbie, one thing I can promise, if you handle a king straight after your corn you probably will be bitten, and it won't be just a bite, it will hold and chew.
However, by being hygienic and washing your hands between snakes as you should, the risk is minimised.
Kehhlyr Posted - 14/02/2011 : 01:13:58
Just wait and see what grows on you.
Sometimes some snakes may seem really nice but then when you have them you might realise that maybe they're not for you.
So don't rush into anything, it took me about 2 years to decide to get a hoggie or not.
Sta~ple Posted - 13/02/2011 : 23:30:54
Corns are pretty much the same... well some are different but you know the general temp, you don't need another one :p
Pythons look like slugs and may need bigger food which family may object too (know my papa would!) plus as people have said, they can be fussy so you can waste food.
Milks apparently musk can be be quite quick. I do want one though! There are some beauties out there and milks are kinda kings.
Kings... well if you look on the internet they seem to have a bad rep in my opinion. My guy is such a sweetypie! He's so nosey and wants to be out all the time, so much so honestly, he wouldn't let me give him a week to settle in when I got him. Haven't see him do the typical king thing over food yet though... or the typical king response to smelling other snakes XD Mine rubs its face a lot and has made it sore and likes to trash its viv.
lotabob Posted - 13/02/2011 : 23:15:56
You can't choose a snake on the basis of will it bite. Potentially all snakes will bite you, kings will leave a mark but so will a corn snake, milk snake and royals are far stronger than the others and will smart a bit if they get a hold of you but don't think that way.

I got a royal because they are beautiful, and as soon as you handle one you can just feel the strength in them and that fascinated me. I would say out of the snakes on your list which one captures your interest the most. If you still cant make up for mind your local reptile shop should have no problems letting you handle them get a feel for their temprement.

Oh and MBK, BRB, and green tree python are the snakes on my wish list
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 23:12:02
i dunno about a royal or the butter motley or the gold dust but as for milk snakes, there crafty sods and 1 thing i learned before i lost mine is that they love to burrow and stay that wayfor along time, he didnt really come out from the substrate until i went and grabbed him, also they r very fast movers and what my 1 tend to do is relax for about 7-8 mins and then take off all of a sudden, so if u get a milk, be weary about that, he was very soft and a joy to handle.

its really upto what ur prefferences are, try to find somewhere that has all of these snakes and spend sometime there (if u can) to handle and ask all the questions that u can think of, as for askng all of us, we r all gunna be fairly biased towards what we all already have as pets and would recommend them through our experiences, so the best advice i can honestly give u is to have a long and hard think about it or do it the old fashioned way, put the names on different pieces of paper in a hat and pull 1 out and thas what u get. lol.
Newbie 105 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 22:58:46
Bladdy ell sooo many choices I saw the most beautiful gold dust corn in ye olde pet shope today and loved it to peices but Mexican black king snake ? Pwoaahh just worried if I handle it after I handle the corn will it bite me as I smell of other snake ?
lrv2307 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 22:48:46
id go for a milk myself, the ones ive met have been very placid but like kings enjoy a good explore. sometimes can be fussy feeders, but once they are used to you they are fine. kings are great, like hanna says, mine is a gorgeous one, but a feisty little madam lol

am going for a milk next myself

oh the choice lol
eeji Posted - 13/02/2011 : 22:37:30
all of them! :D

golddust and butter motley would make a great breeding pair

kings and milks, there are so many its hard to choose between :)

royals are just fat lazy slugs
HannahB Posted - 13/02/2011 : 22:34:25
ok..
royals are gorgeous but can be fussy eaters - my two have their moments but generally are fab they can grow much bigger than corns but tend to prefer smaller homes, and the colour ranges available is constantly growing but some of the 'simple' morphs are lovely and not too expensive
kings are nice - my king is soft as cotton wool and rarely refuses a feed - hes super inquisitive and prefers having a bit more space to burrow in, if i could get another king id get a variable or a lavender banana (think it was that - was pale lilac and bright yellow..gorgeous!_
milks i have no experience with but i think their set up is pretty similar to kings and they come in loads of colours - someone on the rep has looooads and they are all stunning - would love a peach hondo *think it was a hondo*
corns are great as you already know and butters are great

but personally id go for a royal

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000