The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Pythons & Corns...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ajacklin Posted - 04/02/2011 : 18:48:09
...not together obviously!
I have two corns and I want a Royal Python now. I have two stacking vivs for the corns, I'll need another for the python, they can be stacked 3 high but the Python viv will be bigger than the corns. As this is the case I'll need to have the python on the bottom and corns on top. I'm concerned though that the corns will get too hot with the python being heated with ceramic bulbs.
Does anyone else have a similar sort of set-up? Is there anyway around it? Other than having not stacking as I don't really have room for that
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 04/02/2011 : 22:13:49
I'm sure there are several different ways to get the results but by far the simplest (and lets face it, simple usually means less expensive these days) solution to the original question is to just put the corn snake vivarium on the bottom and the royal vivarium on the top.
GillyDuncan Posted - 04/02/2011 : 21:48:53
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Tin foil would not be enough to bend physics, heat rises, it will always rise............

Unless you heat the royals viv with a combination of 12 volt dichroic reflector bulbs and 240v aluminium reflectors.
This will case about 90% of all heat to be directed downwards so that even the fittings only will reach a max temp of around 80-85f which in most cases would be acceptable.
lotabob Posted - 04/02/2011 : 21:26:52
I have my royal and my corn in 2 foot viv's. When they are fully grown adults they will either be moved to a 3 or 4 foot depending on their adult size. A 2 footer is more than adequant for a good year to two years for both corns and royals.

And shy and timid is right, I've barely seen my Royal in three weeks I've had him.
ajacklin Posted - 04/02/2011 : 21:24:09
Thanks for all the replies so far!
I've been doing some "googling" and with Royals being so shy and timid I think I should be ok with the same size as the corns....fingers crossed!
Just waiting for a email from the mods on TheRoyalPython to confirm my registration & I'll see what they say!
lotabob Posted - 04/02/2011 : 21:21:46
If you use heat from another viv to heat anything above it its uncontrolled, and it does start off as just a small rise in temperature but its uncontrolled and can/does just get hotter and hotter with nothing to stop it.

Stats only control the heat source they are monitoring in the enclosure its in (you can use it to control two or more identical setups). It is not monitoring the heat loss through the top. I run a IR bulb in the royal viv, it heated the surface temp of my corns viv to 34 degrees overnight, the cold end had also risen to 24 degrees. My corn snake was sitting in the foliage by the cold air in vent, it was just too hot for him. The corn's stat had shut off all heat sources in the corn viv but the royal viv was holding its temp and losing heat into the corn viv all the time, I tried to put an air space but it had only a small effect in reducing the overheat in the corn viv.

I'm sure there are people out there that have overcome this problem with some sort of insulation or air gap or some other method but as a basic stack of viv's the hotter ones need to be on top.
a33272 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 21:17:38
i got a corn viv ontop of my carpet python my corns hot end was getting to 33-34 oC as u need the hot ends the same end otherwise the corn wouldnt get a cold end.
my python is on i/r an the probes are 6-8 inch bellow the bulb and set to 30oC, so just through contact alone from bulb-ceramic holder-viv top (python)-viv bottom (corn) there was a 3-4 degree temp rise from the stat setting.
so to stop the corn viv over heating id have to drop the python temp alot.
what i did was get some 10-40mm batton and stand my corn viv on 3 pieces on front an both sides to put an air space there, it does still rise a bit but not enough now to concern me
Sta~ple Posted - 04/02/2011 : 20:53:41
But you could use that heat to also warm the corns viv. If the stat is in the same place as the bulb for the corns viv it will be fine, you just set the mat to a lower temperature. Ideally yes you would want an airflow gap but I am sure there have been many people who have been able to put a mat and a bulb in a stack together and it worked out fine.

If you were using a coloured bulb it would be fine, I know that for sure, yes there's a temp rise in ambient temperature in the viv ontop but it isn't that great :) I forgot about the whole ceramic issue so opps on my part.
lotabob Posted - 04/02/2011 : 20:27:10
Tin foil would not be enough to bend physics, heat rises, it will always rise. The colder vivs need to be on the bottom and the hotter ones on top. It makes no difference if a stat is fitted either, the stat controlling the heat source in the royal viv has no idea that the viv above it is getting too hot, the stat in the corn viv does stop its own heat sources but short of it been able to rip up the heat mat and flap it as a fan its still going to get too hot.

I put a 15mm gap between the vivs when I realsied this problem and it was still heating the corn viv. Turned them the other way round (corn on the bottom, royal on top) and problem solved.
Sta~ple Posted - 04/02/2011 : 20:22:55
quote:
Originally posted by ajacklin

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Should be fine as long as it's statted :) out of interest why don't they just have all the same size vivs?

Well what I read was that Royals will need deeper and taller vivs, the corns have Vivexotic LX48 which is 48" x 15" x 16" they suit them fine, neither were climbers so the length was the main priority.
If a Royal would be happy in the same size then that would be ideal, he can go on top, problem sorted

I thought they needed wider but I know someone who plans to house their royal in a 15 deep viv, maybe a trip to the royal forum if you haven't already :D
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 19:30:25
put some kitchen foil inbetween them, with the shiny side (i think) pointing towards the pythond viv to reflect the heat bk towards it
ajacklin Posted - 04/02/2011 : 19:29:04
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Should be fine as long as it's statted :) out of interest why don't they just have all the same size vivs?

Well what I read was that Royals will need deeper and taller vivs, the corns have Vivexotic LX48 which is 48" x 15" x 16" they suit them fine, neither were climbers so the length was the main priority.
If a Royal would be happy in the same size then that would be ideal, he can go on top, problem sorted
Sta~ple Posted - 04/02/2011 : 19:20:49
lotabob Posted - 04/02/2011 : 19:17:43
I learnt that a corn snake viv over a royal viv results in a very hot corn snake.
Benji54 Posted - 04/02/2011 : 18:57:38
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

I have all my corns in rubs and my royal that I am collecting next weekend will also go in a rub.

I will move some of them up to vivs once bigger.

Sorry, just realised I have been no help whatsoever there :(

hehehe! you alwys make me louise!

i have my royal on top of my corns. royals are naturally timid and highly agrophobic. if the royal is a similar age to your corns there is no reason it needs a bigger viv. failing that, if all your corn vivs are statted corrctly, there thermostat will just cut the heat more often if its also heated by the royal so if anything, itll be more economical. the stat controls the whole temp, not just the light source if you think about it.

good luck and grats on deciding to get a royal!
Invalid User Posted - 04/02/2011 : 18:53:25
I have all my corns in rubs and my royal that I am collecting next weekend will also go in a rub.

I will move some of them up to vivs once bigger.

Sorry, just realised I have been no help whatsoever there :(

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000