The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat mat placement

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie 105 Posted - 01/02/2011 : 17:17:31
When I bought my snake and viv the pet shop lady who has two corns of her own said she puts it on the side bottom corner of her viv not under Neath the viv so I as her have put it on the side and my snake almost clings the the side of the viv and I was wondering if it's right there ? And if I put under will it heat the water bowl as it's quite a large bowl and is next to the hide on the hot side ?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 02/02/2011 : 01:58:59
thanx, i try to be considerate lol
GillyDuncan Posted - 02/02/2011 : 01:31:26
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

ive put up a thread for people in this situation, its: reptile stuff and prices off ebay

That would be handy for the many people that can't seem to use the search button on this forum, it would then mean they wouldn't have to search ebay either.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 02/02/2011 : 00:19:46
ive put up a thread for people in this situation, its: reptile stuff and prices off ebay
lotabob Posted - 01/02/2011 : 22:47:32
AUDI TT, is German not French

The curse of the useless shop strikes again, don't worry its not your fault but worry a bit that your setup isn't right but its easily put right. You can pick up a basic mat-stat for about £25 and a digital thermometer for a couple of quid. In the emean time pick the warmest room in your house, bump the heating to constant and turn off the heat mat. It won't be warm enough for digestion but with it on the wall that will be the case anyway so don't feed until the mat is correctly positioned and most importantly statted.
Newbie 105 Posted - 01/02/2011 : 22:35:10
Excuse my French but .....****TT
gmac Posted - 01/02/2011 : 22:16:12
your mat needs a stat, and the dial thermometer is as much use as an ejector seat on a helicopter. They measure ambient temps not substrate temps.

The heat from an unstatted mat can crack your glass viv with the temps it will reach.
Newbie 105 Posted - 01/02/2011 : 22:09:02
My heat mat docent have a stat I have a heat dial thing in th viv to see what the temperature is and it seems fine and I'll try to a bit of rearranging things so the heat is from under the viv tank it's an all glass tank btw
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 01/02/2011 : 21:25:03
oh ok fair enough
lotabob Posted - 01/02/2011 : 20:59:44
Putting the water bowl on the mat for a snake prone to a bad shed ONLY when the snake is shedding can help raise humidity but for most snakes its not required and raising humidity without any requirement to do so is potentially pushing things into the realm of RI's. Somewhere nobody wants to go.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 01/02/2011 : 20:39:02
i just thought to add the bit about ading the shedding part for future referrence tbh
lotabob Posted - 01/02/2011 : 20:23:30
I've never understood the benefit of a contact heat source been stuck where nothing is touching it. I have mine stuck to the bottom (inside) of the vivarium in the back corner of the hot side just under a very thin layer of substrate with a hide over the top. (I only have a very small heat mat as its not my primary heat source, its a backup for if it drops very cold at any point). Water bowls do go in the cold end. Now without doubt a heatmat, irrelevant of where you locate it needs to be controlled by a thermostat, they can (and do) overheat so its just not worth the risk.
thistle Posted - 01/02/2011 : 19:52:38
The heat mat needs to go on the bottom of the viv. They are designed to only heat on contact and so don't change the ambient temperature. Therefore your snake needs to lie on top of it to get the benefit, which is why Kinks is trying to cling to the side if the viv, to get warm.

The heat mat won't overheat on the bottom of the viv as long as you have it properly statted.

As others have already said you will need to move the water bowl to the cool side of the viv to stop the viv becoming to humid. If the bowl is too big to fit in the cool side then you need a smaller bowl.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 01/02/2011 : 17:49:08
the only advantage with the heat mat going on the side of the viv instead of the bottom is the fact that it will have more ventilation, so i think that this is more of a preferrence placement than anythink tbh, however, i think that it is more common to put the mat on the bottom rather than the side and as for the water bowl, the only time that i can think that putting it on top of the mat would be during the shedding process and this is merely to help as the watre will be slightly warmer and loosen off the shed skin abit more, i hope this helps
Invalid User Posted - 01/02/2011 : 17:36:30
If you have the water bowl over the heat mat it will raise the humidity in the viv.

I would put the heat mat on the bottom of the viv and the water bowl at the other end.
n/a Posted - 01/02/2011 : 17:26:39
Water should as far as i know be kept at the cooler end, Thats where mine is kept

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000