The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat mat question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 19:18:10
does anyone know or can someone take a guess at how hot a 3 watt Lucky Reptile Vivarium Thermo Heat Mat would/can get please
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 31/01/2011 : 00:16:57
oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.
GillyDuncan Posted - 31/01/2011 : 00:09:47
It's the mat temp it controls.
If the probe for the stat is on the mat, the mat will only get to roughly the temperature that is set on the stat.
Whatever end of the viv the mat is in is the end that will be warmer on floor level.

The heat variation will be on the floor, ambient heat is not really required by corns unless you live in a particularly cold place in which case some people will prefer to use bulbs over mats.

Just to add, it's only a matstat that will turn the mat off when it gets to temp then turn it off when it drops to low.
Decent stats, like a pulse prop, will get to temperature then literally 'pulse' the mat, it'll power the mat on and off every second to keep the mat at a much more perfect temp than a mat stat. Mat stats quite often have a few degrees variation between off and on times, which isn't normally a problem but can be worrying to some people.
lotabob Posted - 31/01/2011 : 00:09:38
Its the temperature of wherever you put the probe for the thermostat. I have mine hot glued to the mat as Spot sits directly on the mat itself sometimes and I don't want him getting burned. Basically they work by cutting the power to the mat when it hits the preset temperature and switches it back on again when the temperature falls. It will be on and off lots until it heats the substrate around it but once everything comes up to temperature it levels out.
gmac Posted - 31/01/2011 : 00:08:12
the stat has a probe on the end that measures the temp wherever it is placed, so should be placed over the mat. when the required temp is met the stat will switch off or maintain the temps set depending on mat type. You get gradient as the mat will only heat what it is in contact with so will not heat the full viv.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 31/01/2011 : 00:00:26
ok thanks for the tip lotabob, i have seen those and thought that the 100w was the minimum - i feel lika abit of an idiot lol - and another stupid question, but, how does a stat work anyway, i know that they work to a temp but is that the viv temp or the mat temp as im abit confused by how your suppose to create a temp varient within the viv if a stat works by the viv temp.
lotabob Posted - 30/01/2011 : 22:34:51
Not accusing, just making sure.

The habistat mat-stat will work just fine, they just have a maximum wattage of 100 watts. They don't have a minimum rating. I use one on a 7 watt mat without a problem, also used it with a 20 watt too.
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 22:14:57
no it wasnt to find out if i could use the mat without the thermostat, i was just curious thas all. by the way, where can i get a thermostat for a 3w mat anyway as i cant seem to find 1 that would accept the small 3w, all i could find is tho`s that would only take 15w+ as the smallest that ive seen is 15w minimum.
lotabob Posted - 30/01/2011 : 21:58:38
They will all without a doubt be able to exceed 30 degrees centigrade. This is the hottest you'd ever want your mat getting around a corn snake so by how many degrees over 30 it would go is not important because your thermostat would cut the power before it gets dangerous. Thats why we use them and why your snake needs them.

If this is a round about way of finding out if a 3 watt mat is OK to use without a thermostat the answer is no, not under ANY circumstances should ANY heat source be used without a thermostat.
lee2308 Posted - 30/01/2011 : 21:41:37
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i'd guesstimate upwards of 40/50 degrees just like any other mat can. Whatever temperature it can reach it will need a thermostat.

thats pretty much the answer your looking for
Invalid User Posted - 30/01/2011 : 21:32:44
I have a few 7 watt heatmats and they get very hot without a stat, easily way above 40c
baitman Posted - 30/01/2011 : 20:14:35
if itys not on a stat then it COULD get too hot,a power surge or fault and you may end up with a fire or burnt snake.....
eeji Posted - 30/01/2011 : 19:23:56
i'd guesstimate upwards of 40/50 degrees just like any other mat can. Whatever temperature it can reach it will need a thermostat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000