The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 pop sexing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tiswas Posted - 29/01/2011 : 12:30:57
Hi everyone, just wondering, is there anyone near me (Buckingham) who can pop sex a hatchling? Because I'm starting to think that my little guy is actually a little girl and would like to know a bit more definitively whether he is a she!
I dont want to try it my self and hurt him/her!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 30/01/2011 : 11:19:19
Tail length does work for corns, but you need to be experienced enough to be certain. The only ones i have been wrong about are very young snakes.
The only way to be 100% certain though is to have the snake popped, to confirm, which is a knack of its own. A petshop will cetainly be able to do it for you, or maybe if you can find someone who breeds near you, or another hobbyist locally.
Benji54 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 15:10:59
yeah it doesnt work for corns. its easy with pythons tho! :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 14:52:48
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Any decent rep shop should be able to accurately sex your snake for you within about a minute of getting it in their hands.

Give a couple of your local rep shops a buzz and ask if they can do it for you. Most will do it, but usually prefer asking before just turning up with a snake. I've never heard of any rep shops charging to do it either, IMO the way they work is that if they're helpful to you for one little small thing, then you'll return for more in the future.

makes sense. i sexed my royal without popping by tail length rule and then got the vet to confirm.

Not sure about royals, but with corns tail length is too inaccurate to tell for sure.
Benji54 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:58:45
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Any decent rep shop should be able to accurately sex your snake for you within about a minute of getting it in their hands.

Give a couple of your local rep shops a buzz and ask if they can do it for you. Most will do it, but usually prefer asking before just turning up with a snake. I've never heard of any rep shops charging to do it either, IMO the way they work is that if they're helpful to you for one little small thing, then you'll return for more in the future.

makes sense. i sexed my royal without popping by tail length rule and then got the vet to confirm.
Kehhlyr Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:40:45

Benji54 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:17:04
fair enough, it can be hard to estimate age. basically, because of how it works (i assume you know) SIZE is more important than age for the process. also the difference is very slight so if you take a small snake the vet could still mis-sex it as the difference would be millimeters. its a hard one to call. if you call your local herp vet they might be able to advise you on a size that they deem suitable for pop sexing.
Tiswas Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:09:31
Thanks, the only problem is that i dont know how old s/he is. Dont think any more than 6 months but I could be completely out as this is my first snake lol.
Benji54 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:07:44
i wait till mine are a little older and then take them to a reptile vet. good luck! :)
ilovemypets1988 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 13:00:57
im unsure but i dont think that its advisable to sex a hatchling due to the process of sexing, but dont hold me out on as im unsure

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000