The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 few questions..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 27/01/2011 : 19:42:35
me and my boyfriend have just bought a corn snake and was wondering if anyone had any tips on behaviour, and why he is breathing heavily , any tips or advice please let me know
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 31/01/2011 : 11:46:05
thank you for your advice
Katie.Dublin Posted - 29/01/2011 : 17:16:45
Yeah I agree with danny. Better off leaving him to settle for a week!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 29/01/2011 : 12:35:48
Since he was quite timmed when you first got him, it may be a good idea to leave him for around 7 days before handling. This allows the snake to get used to its environment and the various different smells that come with it.
n/a Posted - 29/01/2011 : 11:27:04
we have now put two toilet roll tubes in his viv and he seems to like them. He seems more active today so thats good. hes drinking good now so we dont think he is stressed any more, and he seems more intersted in us today as he was keen to come close to us, but as he was only fed 38.5 hrs ago were leaving him until tonight to interact with him, thanks for all the advice you have given
DannyBrown91 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 19:13:48
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

I think you might find a 2ft viv is far too large for such a young snake. It would be better if you could section off half of it till he gets older. You didn't mention what heat source you are using or if it is stated. These are also impoerant. As already mentioned provide plenty of hiding places and cover. If money is an issue cardboard boxes and toilet role tubes would do. Even a paper towel, my hatchie loves hiding under the paper towel in his feeding box !

Large flat faunariums ar 18inches x (about)12 inches, so although it is large with a few plants it should be fine.

The biggest worry would be him escaping through the glass doors. Something that lookign at the gap you may not believe could happen, but is certainly something worth noting.
n/a Posted - 28/01/2011 : 16:02:00
thank you danny brown but we havent got one of them by us, and bigal the heat source we are using is a heat matt ,

and yeah we can section the cage off just need a divider, thank you for your help and yes we have got him a feeding box aswell
bigal Posted - 28/01/2011 : 15:57:14
I think you might find a 2ft viv is far too large for such a young snake. It would be better if you could section off half of it till he gets older. You didn't mention what heat source you are using or if it is stated. These are also impoerant. As already mentioned provide plenty of hiding places and cover. If money is an issue cardboard boxes and toilet role tubes would do. Even a paper towel, my hatchie loves hiding under the paper towel in his feeding box !
DannyBrown91 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 15:37:51
If you have a dunelm mill near you you can pick up plenty of plants and decorations for really cheap.
n/a Posted - 28/01/2011 : 14:34:46
thats what i thought, me and my boyfriend will do that tonight, see my boyfriend dont get paid til monday
but im sure well buy some plants and things :)
thank you for your help
DannyBrown91 Posted - 28/01/2011 : 14:28:15
It could be that he is scared because he is in such a big enclosure with no cover. Might be a good idea to get a f3ew plants and things so he feels safer moving around the tank and is able to stay unseen.

Its also worth getting something to use as a hide in the cool end. This is easilly solved, something along th elines of a toilet roll tube or a small box will be sufficient.
n/a Posted - 28/01/2011 : 14:16:36
thank you both for advice, and no he has only done it once but we got worried , so we went by him and he went to strike, :/
wondering what this means as we have only got him ysdaii and we have never owned a snake before,

and the size is 2ft viv and the setup is substrate at bottom with a hide in one corner and water in another corner,
he seems to like it but we feel like hes abit intimadated by the size because he is only 6 weeks old.
mikerichards Posted - 28/01/2011 : 09:32:41
Does he do it only when you are near him? They do it a lot when excited about food.
If its all the time then iT can be an indication of a respiratory infection.
Checking your temps with a digi thermometer is a good idea, and if its low, then upping to about 30 will help with ri. Ri are caused by too high a humidity, so if its the case, removing all bedding and replacing with tissue is an idea, making sure its spotlessly dry in there.

More details would be good though, for better help!
gmac Posted - 27/01/2011 : 19:50:10
can you explain a bit better what it is actually doing and what is the setup like that you have for it ie size of housing, hides, heating is it statted etc

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000