The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 still more regurgitation...Help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Covps2blue Posted - 22/01/2011 : 17:55:28
Hi everyone

My hatchling corn, has now regurged the last two times she has been fed. It could be beacuse I am feeding her two pinkies, her set up is fine btw, she regurged when I first got her, and then stopped for 1 or 2 feeds now has started again, she could be stressed tho, as both her shed and her poops are in her hides, like she is scared to come out. she has loads of shelter and fake plants to hide in. Really am a bit concerned now. Any ideas or advice peeps?

Thanks

George
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Covps2blue Posted - 22/01/2011 : 19:17:31
Thanks for the replys... ok, I have another corn, which I have had for 4 years, so I know not to handle after feeds etc. I did not feed her for 10 days after her last regurge. Her regurge looks like it has digested quite a bit. but I fed her three days ago, so it cant be poo can it? it looks nothing like normal poo. It might be that I'm feeding her too much in one go, causing her to throw up. I will leave it 10 days and feed her a single pinkie. Hopefully she will eat it, and it will digest properly. Yes she is a really nervy corn for some reason. Thanks again for the advice.
lotabob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 18:08:25
When it regurges, does it bring it up the same as it went in, or is it a big slimey mess?

Have you been following the feeding guidelines? Like;
No handling for at least 48 hoursn after a feed (though I now leave it another day after I had a regurge after handling 48 hours after a meal and he hadn't finished digesting).
Feed prey items no larger in girth than 1.5 times the thickest part of your snake (again I would drop down to slightly less than your snakes girth and work back upto bigger prey over a period of a month).
Dont feed now for either 10 days after regurge or 2 weeks since last feed, go for the longest time to allow plenty of time for the stomach to settle and rebuild its digestive juices.
Same as not feeding, dont handle for this period.

Other things to consider are, did you fully defrost the mouse, or leave it sitting out too long? Do you have enough suitable hides? VERY IMPORTANT, check your temperatures are OK, if the snake is cold it cant digest quick enough before the mouse starts to rot and then they have to regurge it or just know that this will happen so regurge without even attempting to digest it.

So many of the problems that occur with snakes can be put down to 2 things, temperatures and humidity. Humidity can be ruled out in this case so check your temperatures.
herriotfan Posted - 22/01/2011 : 18:06:37
First of all try not to worry, they can go a long time with no food.
How long have you left it from the regurge to when you fed her again? It would be a good idea to leave her at least 7 to 10 days to give her gut time to recover and build up it's normal chemical balance again before feeding her again. Then only give her one small pinkie. Don't overload her delicate little tummy.
It could be stress linked too, hatchlings do take a while to settle and feel really secure.
It could also be due to shedding, some won't eat during a shed, so it might just be that.
Hope that helps but I do understand your concerns. I was a real 'old hen' worrying about mine when I got my first snake. It shows you care!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000