The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Sense of Smell

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuart619 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 15:28:30
I got a new plug in air freshener for the bedroom (where I house my snakes).

I have noticed since I got it the snakes don't seem to be taking their food as quick as they normally do. I have removed the air freshener and was wondering if the snakes sense of smell may have been impaired by the new smell in the room.

I know it sounds like a strange topic but I was thinking how do external smells around the viv effect the behaviour of a snake.

Stu
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
geckolass Posted - 25/01/2011 : 16:59:19
well snakes have a jacobs organ in the roof of the mouth each indivudual smell partical sticks to there toung and goes in to the jacbos organ and they can sence what it is how far away it is and if its prey preadtor or friendly. really cleaver and sensitive
eeji Posted - 23/01/2011 : 22:09:11
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm curry!
Sta~ple Posted - 23/01/2011 : 17:41:50
I had a curry for dindins today, Venom came out and ask if I would let him off his diet!

I shouldn't think it impairers them though, maybe it distracts them as they don't know what it is or if it is good or bad.
lotabob Posted - 22/01/2011 : 16:32:15
Its true, I heard the saying, 'cook a curry and you can smell curry but they smell each individual ingredient'.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 16:10:30
Not sure how it would effect the snakes, but they will certainly smell it. They have an amazing sense of smell to the point that they can detect the individual chemical compunds that make up the scent, Or atleast thats what Nat Geo Wild says.
Invalid User Posted - 22/01/2011 : 15:31:23
Nimbus always comes out of his hide for a sniff around if I light my Yankee Candles!

Not sure if he likes it or not but he can certainly smell it!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000