The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding problems please help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shaunrp78 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 21:11:16
hello can anyone help?ive recently had 2 corn snakes and 1 eats very well and the other havent ate for the 2 weeks ive had them.the previous owner told me that it can be a fussy eater sometimes going weeks without eating.do i try to feed again the next day or should i leave it til the next scheduled day?please give me some advice on what to do to make it eat.getting really worried now.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
herriotfan Posted - 23/01/2011 : 14:41:19
Just rub the mouse as it is over the chick as it is, no need to do anything special at this stage. You're just after transferring some of the scent from the chick to the mouse.
You could also brain the mouse, which has been suggested, where you cut open the head and let some of the head/brain juices out.
There are some other tricks but try the chick one first. If the snake has eaten a chick before the scent might be all that is needed for it to eat the mouse.
shaunrp78 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:53:24
quote:
Originally posted by shaunrp78

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

First of all try not to worry, 2 weeks is no time at all for snakes to go without food.
Once you've sorted out the viv sharing and made sure they've had settling in time etc there are a few other things to try if he still won't eat.
You mention that he would eat chicks.....you could try rubbing the mouse over the chick to scent it before offering it to him.
Just stick to one normal feeding day and if he doesnt eat then leave it for another week.
What have you tried to get him feeding? I'm sure we can come up with a solution if he continues to worry you!!

when you said to rub the mouse in the chick,do i skin it first or cut it open?ive just tried mice.is there anything else i can try?

shaunrp78 Posted - 22/01/2011 : 21:50:47
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

First of all try not to worry, 2 weeks is no time at all for snakes to go without food.
Once you've sorted out the viv sharing and made sure they've had settling in time etc there are a few other things to try if he still won't eat.
You mention that he would eat chicks.....you could try rubbing the mouse over the chick to scent it before offering it to him.
Just stick to one normal feeding day and if he doesnt eat then leave it for another week.
What have you tried to get him feeding? I'm sure we can come up with a solution if he continues to worry you!!

n/a Posted - 22/01/2011 : 14:20:29
Hi im new to snakes as well, i have been doing lots of homework on them and have read that if you cut in to the skull of the mouse to reveal the brain the snake may go for it better, this is just what i have read not off personal experience hope this helps
Red123 Posted - 21/01/2011 : 09:41:38
Hi Shaun. I know it can be a worry when they are reluctant to feed. Sid and Patrick are both adults of 5ft and 5 1/2ft so very similar in that respect. However Sid eats every 2 weeks unless he is in shed. Now Patrick is totally different, he only eats every 3 weeks if i'm lucky, more often than not he will refuse at 3 weeks and will not eat for between 4-5 weeks so it can vary between snakes. Its taken a while for me to not worry about it quite so much so I know how you feel.
herriotfan Posted - 21/01/2011 : 08:55:54
Covps2blue Posted - 21/01/2011 : 07:09:38
Hi Shaun and welcome to the forum. I would strongly recommend you have them in separate vivs, I know this is a cost but your other snake may well be very stressed out. Dont feed them chicks as they do not surface the required nutrition that mice provide. also If you have just got the snakes, leave them to settle for a week before attempting to feed, to allow for there stress levels to fall, snakes get stressed quite easily.

hope this helps
shaunrp78 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 22:59:20
thanks for getting back in touch.the temp is between 21 and 30 degrees they are about 4 ft long,they have hot and cool hides but they go in the same one together because they do share but the previous owner said they always have.ive heard i should give chicks but others have told me not to so i dont know what to do for the best.i do feel a bit better that you said 2 weeks is nothing.i need all the advice i can get because i am a beginner at keeping snakes and have 3 and really enjoying them(1 anery only 5 months old,no probs whatsoever,and the older 2 about 18 months.only the 1 is giving problems.)
devilsmistress Posted - 20/01/2011 : 22:10:01
First of all 2 weeks is nothing! But we will need info on your set up,
Temps?
Hides?
size?
are they sharing a viv??
once we know that we can help you a little more.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000