The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Water

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
razza Posted - 19/01/2011 : 19:25:24
hi all... i have just been having a little read through my corn books, and it states that filtered water should be used for drinking, bathing etc. i was just wondering if any body else use's filtered water?

thanks gaz
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Benji54 Posted - 21/01/2011 : 14:29:22
quote:
Originally posted by gmac
vet is in capitals because i never noticed the caps lock on, no other reason

ahhh and the world makes sense again! i did wonder, thought i was in trouble cheers matey
gmac Posted - 21/01/2011 : 13:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

yeah ur quite right. the corns shed no hassle everytime. the advice was given in relation to my royal but when i adopted the 2 corns they were havin a fortnightly swim in the bath tub and i didnt wanna deprive them lol! thanks for the advice :)

( ps why is VET in capitals? is that a doubty kinda dig "vet" thingy or have i done a booboo on my terminology? i supose technically he's a herpatologist and not a vet or something right? )

vet is in capitals because i never noticed the caps lock on, no other reason
Benji54 Posted - 21/01/2011 : 13:22:29
yeah ur quite right. the corns shed no hassle everytime. the advice was given in relation to my royal but when i adopted the 2 corns they were havin a fortnightly swim in the bath tub and i didnt wanna deprive them lol! thanks for the advice :)

( ps why is VET in capitals? is that a doubty kinda dig "vet" thingy or have i done a booboo on my terminology? i supose technically he's a herpatologist and not a vet or something right? )
gmac Posted - 21/01/2011 : 12:32:07
quote:

yeah they are normally fine tbh, mine just seem to enjoy a swim! as long as your viv is set up right, you should have no worries! :) i dont mind, but how come Gmac? like i say mine enjoy a swim and i just make sure they have one before shedding too. (my vet advised it last year). any reason why i shouldnt be doing it or is it just something that you wouldnt personally do? to be fair youd have a LOT more bathing to do than i would lol! :)

Benji, if its something that you do and it is working for you fair enough. Personally I dont do anything for my corns / kings / ratsnakes before they shed, but thats cause I know none of them have had any difficulties shedding.

I think the VET is a bit overcautious with his advice though, usually its the younger corns may have a difficult shed but that can normally be remedied afterwards if need be.
razza Posted - 21/01/2011 : 12:28:08
thanks for all your advise guys
razza Posted - 21/01/2011 : 12:26:34
i haven't had any problems before with a shed so i think i will just like him do it by him self, and if the is any problems then i will think about a soak next time. he has a moist box with some damp moss but he dosnt really seem to be bothered about gong in it.
Benji54 Posted - 21/01/2011 : 12:17:50
yeah they are normally fine tbh, mine just seem to enjoy a swim! as long as your viv is set up right, you should have no worries! :) i dont mind, but how come Gmac? like i say mine enjoy a swim and i just make sure they have one before shedding too. (my vet advised it last year). any reason why i shouldnt be doing it or is it just something that you wouldnt personally do? to be fair youd have a LOT more bathing to do than i would lol! :)
gmac Posted - 21/01/2011 : 11:59:02
I would just let it shed on its own, I certainly wouldnt be putting it in a tray of water.
razza Posted - 21/01/2011 : 11:57:25
justin is about to shed in the next couple of days would you recommend putting him in a tray of water? don't want any complications with the shed.
Benji54 Posted - 21/01/2011 : 11:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by razza

my exoterra slimmed up but since i changed to a ceramic bowl it has been fine. i was just wondering how many of your corns soak in the water bowls? i have seen mine drink but never go's in the water, just a little worried that when he comes round to shed that he might struggle.

my corns never soak! my BRB sometimes does, my Royal will sort of slither through it but not stop lol! i bath them all in a large litter tray type tub before they shed. that seems to work
razza Posted - 21/01/2011 : 11:48:27
lol i would love to see justin ccurled up in his bowl, oh well he might cotton on one day and surprise me
Invalid User Posted - 21/01/2011 : 11:00:52
quote:
Originally posted by razza

my exoterra slimmed up but since i changed to a ceramic bowl it has been fine. i was just wondering how many of your corns soak in the water bowls? i have seen mine drink but never go's in the water, just a little worried that when he comes round to shed that he might struggle.

Nimbus always has a soak in his bowl 2 days before a shed but he never goes in it at any other time

Oh apart from when he is trying to be clever and slither over the top of it but his middle falls in
bigal Posted - 21/01/2011 : 10:46:36
Change mine every 1 to 2 days and use tap water. Often wonder why if it is clean as water in those water dispenser thingy's used in gymns and offices often hang arround for days and they are not sealed as bottled water is. Just a thought ho hum !
razza Posted - 21/01/2011 : 10:25:24
lrv2307 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 20:17:32
just another ps to this
tap water only has a shelf life of 3 days.....even if you keep a bottle of it in the fridge....so best to change pets water daily.....i dont think youd like to drink stale water....im sure they dont hahahaha

sorry........worked at thames water many years ago, funny what stupid facts you keep in ya memory
lrv2307 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 20:15:50
the cloudyness in the water is only air, if you have worries, run yourself a glass full, if you see the cloud floating up....its air, if it floats down, its calcium deposits

run the tap for a while, soon gets rid of the excess air in the pipes xx
Sta~ple Posted - 20/01/2011 : 20:09:30
quote:

mine is only given evian...only jokin, good ole chalky tap water for mine lol!

i have to say tho, i do the water every day or every 2days cuz sometimes mine to seem to like it to warm up a little before they wanna bathe in it. guess its too cold otherwise??

does any once find that exoterra water dishes give a kind of greasy slimy feel whenever you use em? i clean em everytime i change the water but it always feels slimy (but only in the exoterra ones, the cheapy ones are fine!!) any tips?

I get it with my ceramic dog bowels too, it just happens.
Newbie Posted - 20/01/2011 : 19:23:49
quote:

i have to say tho, i do the water every day or every 2days cuz sometimes mine to seem to like it to warm up a little before they wanna bathe in it. guess its too cold otherwise??

does any once find that exoterra water dishes give a kind of greasy slimy feel whenever you use em? i clean em everytime i change the water but it always feels slimy (but only in the exoterra ones, the cheapy ones are fine!!) any tips?

My exoterra dish does to I give it a good scrub every 2-3 days as he hides under his water dish so don't move it too often! Must admit Vin get's bottled water, but that's only because here the water comes out rather cloudy and I'm a big worrier! x
Benji54 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 16:45:34

Sta~ple Posted - 20/01/2011 : 16:43:53
I change mine every 2/3 days unless there is bedding or poop in it! They get tap water, they love cooled down boiled water though!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000