The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snake & viv size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/01/2011 : 01:06:15
My Rusko boy is hitting just over two foot now! Would it be okay for him to go into a bigger viv ? He is in a 2ft atm.. Just wondering as I would like to set up a nice viv with lots of things like a waterfall I've had my eye on which is to big for his 2ft viv with both hides..
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 19/01/2011 : 20:14:00
Snakes dont need as much space as you may think. The rule of length and height compared to the snake is not a rule, more of a rough idea, and certainly not set in stone.
Quite often you will find the snakes confidence will increase as their space gets smaller, none of my corns have anything bigger than 2ft by 1ft, and a couple are near on 5ft.
Snakes have confidence issues, they hate large open spaces, they dont know that they are completely safe, and as such, view large spaces as a threat to their safety, after all, any predator could find them in an open space, including birds. That is why a lot of snakes either get very aggressive, or go off their food, sometimes both at the same time, decreasing the size of the viv is often the only way to get them over it.
Bear in mind, in the wild a snakes daily activities will be mostly, food, heat, water, getting laid. and certainly not in that order!!!
if a snake had a nice selection of water, food, and submissive females at his door, he wouldnt even leave his hide!
a33272 Posted - 19/01/2011 : 10:38:22
quote:
Originally posted by Woody

My Rusko boy is hitting just over two foot now! Would it be okay for him to go into a bigger viv ? He is in a 2ft atm.. Just wondering as I would like to set up a nice viv with lots of things like a waterfall I've had my eye on which is to big for his 2ft viv with both hides..

my corn went into a 3 ft viv when she was 2.5ft with out any problems

also bear in mind a waterfall is going to increase the humidity.
stuart619 Posted - 19/01/2011 : 08:57:57
Just to add, When I got my first corn I purchased a 4 foot viv. Once she came home she went into a 10litre RUB placed inside the viv.

Once she outgrew the RUB i partitioned the viv off and over time moved the partition until she was large enough for the full 4 foot viv.

It saved me purchasing a couple of vivs and having to replace them.
Invalid User Posted - 19/01/2011 : 07:26:14
My Nimbus is over 2ft now and still in a large faunarium. He seems very happy in there and when I look at how small he coils up in a corner, I realise he doesn't need anything bigger just yet.

You could still get a new viv and just take your time to get it up set up ready for him and looking fantastic while you wait for him to grow a bit more :)

Or just put him in with lots of hides etc like a lot of people do. A waterfall sounds cool!
stuart619 Posted - 19/01/2011 : 06:40:24
I always go off the rule that you take the length and depth of the viv (say 2 foot wide and 1 foot deep). Add them together and that is the mazimum size of the snake. So a 2 by 1 foot viv is large enough for a snake of up tp 3 foot.
n/a Posted - 19/01/2011 : 01:12:02
Also!!! Kings are taking over the world sooo many people are getting them! Making me want one :p

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000