The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 HELP!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dtookey90 Posted - 18/01/2011 : 21:18:28
i am setting up my new tank soon and im going to get a pair of corns,
my vivarium is 55inches (4.5 ft) in legth x 22inches (1.8 ft) wide x 27inches (2.2 ft) high so its pretty big.
i was looking at heat mats for it but im not sure what the suitable size is.
also if anyone can give me some advice on the day time temp and night time temp should be for two snakes in this viv.
and what is the most suitable temp in the hot summer?
please help me some one!!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 19/01/2011 : 19:56:29
A heatmat doesnt HAVE to cover 1/3rd of the viv, 1/2 is generally too much anyway, especially in a small viv.
As long as you have a mat that is big enough for both snakes to sit on without covering it completely then it will be fine.
However, you might find you have problems with how big the viv is and how the snakes react to it.
Also, as you seem to be convinced on co-habbiting, make sure that you get a same sex pair, if you dont, then you will be asking for problems early each year. Snakes do not tend to co habit in the wild, and by forcing them to do so in captivity generally produces problems.
Having a read of the stickies is a must, and thinking it wont happen to you is naive and untrue.
I used to co habit years ago, right up till the point i found one of them having a mid week snack on the other, fortunately both survived, but it could easily have been different.
Sta~ple Posted - 19/01/2011 : 18:32:06
If they have read it already and it hasn't changed their mind, it won't do XD

I agree with a33, a bulb might be better than a mat with something that size.
a33272 Posted - 19/01/2011 : 10:48:26
wattage is generally size related so the bigger the mat the higher the wattaage simply because it used more power, one thing though a viv that size you will struggle to fine a heat mat to fit 1/3-1/2. its not very often i say this but u might find a ceramic heat emmiter might be better
Invalid User Posted - 19/01/2011 : 10:41:10
Have you seen the new pics added to the Co habbiting thread?

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070&whichpage=14
dtookey90 Posted - 19/01/2011 : 10:30:03
The snakes I am getting have been together for a while also what watt is best as there are loads, I'm not sure what watt gives out the right heat
Thanks for the advice :-)
gmac Posted - 18/01/2011 : 21:21:40
the heatmat should be a half to a third of the base of the viv. Temps should be 27-29 day and night and through the summer.

Also remember that your mat must be statted.

I also suggest you read the thread on co-habbing corn snakes as i see you have only the one viv and 2 corns

sneaky link edit:

Few links to help
Care Sheet

Co habbing thread

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000