The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 temperature

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/01/2011 : 19:13:25
I've just bought my first cornsnake, and everything is going great he's mobile his toungue is flickering and he seems generally happy' iI have a heat mat on the bottom of the tank and the temperature is about 30degrees on the glass but on top of the substrate it 23degrees. He has colder spots which are ranging from 19degress upto 22degrees butseems quite happy nearer the colder spots. and the temperature ingeneral inside the vivarium is about 20degrees. are the temperatures ok???
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 19/01/2011 : 20:03:35
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I said what I said because when I found this site and had read the forum posts front to back & back to front I still found it really useful to run things by the people on here even if I deep down knew the answer, just for reassurance, it was always such a relief that someone with experience and knowledge would get back to you, throw some advice your way, just let you know your doing alright. If when I first posted a question on here someone had told me to go off and do my homework I'm pretty sure I'd have been very reluctant to post on here again and would have missed out on every single bit of great advice I have received and missed out on been a small part of a great little community. It wouldn't have taken much, and looking at your last post you are knowledgeable and could have probably answered the original question with your eyes shut. So I wasn't judging you on your replies, I was seeing your reply through the eyes of someone new to this forum and seeing it didn't quite live up to the great welcome I received.

True, however i cant touch type!!

My point was not to put everything on a plate for everyone, yes its nice to have people to hand to answer questions, however, sometimes its better for someone to do their own research, especially BEFORE buying a snake. I started keeping snakes 23 years ago, there was no internet, no forums, no friendly place to go and chat and find out information, back then it was go to the library and get a book out.
For the most part, the idea of learning things is lost because you can go onto a forum, much like this one, full of friendly people and get the information you need. Whilst i would agree that that is learning, its not finding it for yourself, as i am sure you are aware, the search button works and will dig up huge amounts of information needed, and by doing so, you also find out other little bits of info that you might need to know, but not know you need to!!
lotabob Posted - 19/01/2011 : 19:47:15
I said what I said because when I found this site and had read the forum posts front to back & back to front I still found it really useful to run things by the people on here even if I deep down knew the answer, just for reassurance, it was always such a relief that someone with experience and knowledge would get back to you, throw some advice your way, just let you know your doing alright. If when I first posted a question on here someone had told me to go off and do my homework I'm pretty sure I'd have been very reluctant to post on here again and would have missed out on every single bit of great advice I have received and missed out on been a small part of a great little community. It wouldn't have taken much, and looking at your last post you are knowledgeable and could have probably answered the original question with your eyes shut. So I wasn't judging you on your replies, I was seeing your reply through the eyes of someone new to this forum and seeing it didn't quite live up to the great welcome I received.
mikerichards Posted - 19/01/2011 : 19:19:24
quote:
Originally posted by jakethecornsnake

thanks again for the support. I have invested in a thermostat which should have been sold to me by the shop but wasnt. i,m still a little worried though as jake prefers it in the colder end of the tank, but im worried as it is colder than all the books or info i have read. he seems happy and quite alert but i'm still a little worried for him. is this ok and normal or are there any good solutions.

Ideally, the snake should spend roughly equal amounts of time at either end, regulating his/her body temperature. A lot of time, if a snake is spending the majority of its time at one end, then its likely that the temps are slightly off. Most of time, you will find that its because the warm end is consistently too hot, even though corns can be quite happy at 30 - 35 degrees in the wild, maybe even hotter, that temperature is not sustained, and will vary to quite a degree.
Dont worry too much about the choice of location, snakes are incredibly adept at maintaining their own body temps, and as such, loitering at one end specifically can tell you a huge amount about your temps.

the thermostat is a wise investment, its secondary function is to maintain a sensible temperature in the hot end, ideally about 28 derees, and also allows you to vary the temperature according to the time of year if you wish.
Its primary function, which has almost nothing to do with the wellbeing of the snake, is to prevent accidents.
Heatmats are known to malfunction, and temperatures can go north or 200 degrees if it fails badly (217 degrees C was recorded on a 7x11 heatmat that wasnt working properly).
Should your heatmat fail, then the thermostat will switch off the power, preventing it from both burning the snake, and burning your house down ( has happened).
mikerichards Posted - 19/01/2011 : 19:09:39
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I'll apologise on behalf of the forum for that lack of patience response, seems people have forgotten what its like to be a new snake owner. A bit a reassurance goes a long way guys.

The links provided by Louise 32 are a great source of info and are worth studying intently.

From what you have said your temperature range sounds good, when heating with a mat the ambient air temperature won't be heated up, it is a contact heater, if its touching it will get warm. As its not mentioned in your posts it is also advisable to invest in a thermostat to stop over heating and burns. (If you have one just ignore me, if you haven't put it top of your shopping list). If the heat isn't getting through the substrate, thin it out a bit, aim for just a covering and no more than an inch or your snake will have to dig down for some heat. My cornsnake spends most of the time at the cold end, only moving to the hot end when digesting his dinner.

This forum is the dogs danglers when it comes to knowledge on everything slithery and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, you'll normally get borbarded with people eager to help. Welcome to the forum and get some pictures posted ASAP so we can get a look at your new family member.

Dont you apologise on my behalf.
My reply was aimed so that the OP could learn what he needs to know, not just be told what to do.
That is something that is severly lacking these days, people who actually bother to find out the information they need know to look after the animal with its best interests at heart.
As it would appear, some research has been done, however, not knowing the temperatures that the animal requires to live a healthy life BEFORE purchasing is nt only irresponsible, but negligent also.
Now, i apologise if the OP was offended by my reply, if you read it with a much lighter tone, you will get my true intentions.
To those who think i was trying to be a teacher, well, you are right, i do like to teach people the right way of doing things, and 9 times out of ten that involves going out and finding the information for yourself, not having it handed to you on a plate, hence the challenge.

Next time, before you judge me on my replies, or anyone else, get the facts right, otherwise you offend people, which isnt helpful when its you that needs the help.
lucyloop Posted - 18/01/2011 : 19:16:44
Tiko prefers the cool end and only really goes in the warm for a little bit - its normally 27/28 degrees. You will get used to your snakes behaviour very soon and know what is "normal" for him. As MR S says above, you can read a lot but its totally different once they arrive!
n/a Posted - 18/01/2011 : 17:58:09
Both mine tend to spend most of the time at the cooler end prefering 21-22c to the warmer end at 29-30c.

My gut feeling is that like any living creature its all very well reading This is how it must be but as long as they are feeding, excreting, as active as they normally are and there are no other signs of concern then its just their own personal preference. As both my corns are nearly 10 years old and have always been like this and are in very good health i will stick with what i know they like rather than been told how they should be
sullysteve Posted - 18/01/2011 : 17:28:01
quote:
Originally posted by jakethecornsnake

thanks again for the support. I have invested in a thermostat which should have been sold to me by the shop but wasnt. i,m still a little worried though as jake prefers it in the colder end of the tank, but im worried as it is colder than all the books or info i have read. he seems happy and quite alert but i'm still a little worried for him. is this ok and normal or are there any good solutions.

usually the way most shops are useless

Once you have your stat installed and you get your temps correct, you might see the little fella changing spots. It may just be too warm in the warm end at the moment with no stat.

Sul
n/a Posted - 18/01/2011 : 17:05:17
Invalid User Posted - 18/01/2011 : 10:16:44
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Subz

Well said Lotabob, as someone new to the site i looked at the response and was taken aback by its underlying negativity.
Its all very well doing loads of research prior to anything but when in a situation that involves emotion, that knowledge often flys out the window. A few supportive words help, Been told to basically go away, sort it out and come back and tell us what you did wrong smacks of been back at school when i was there over 30 years ago.

I hope Jake got sorted

Agreed. I studied up for years before getting Nimbus and still have been on here everyday asking the most basic questions! It's great to do your research before hand but as we all know, the moment you bring your first snake home you do tend to go into 'panic' mode and find yourself questioning your own research and methods.

I would have been lost without this forum!
lucyloop Posted - 18/01/2011 : 09:24:49
Sorry if I am going off topic a bit but I feel a few posts lately may have made a few people a bit cross, I can understand this but if new people are asking for help having seemed to have done quite a bit of research they don't they deserve a bit of advice? After all, we are all newbies at some point and some times questions are asked for reassurance rather than anything else.
n/a Posted - 18/01/2011 : 08:16:38
Well said Lotabob, as someone new to the site i looked at the response and was taken aback by its underlying negativity.
Its all very well doing loads of research prior to anything but when in a situation that involves emotion, that knowledge often flys out the window. A few supportive words help, Been told to basically go away, sort it out and come back and tell us what you did wrong smacks of been back at school when i was there over 30 years ago.

I hope Jake got sorted
lotabob Posted - 18/01/2011 : 00:07:47
I'll apologise on behalf of the forum for that lack of patience response, seems people have forgotten what its like to be a new snake owner. A bit a reassurance goes a long way guys.

The links provided by Louise 32 are a great source of info and are worth studying intently.

From what you have said your temperature range sounds good, when heating with a mat the ambient air temperature won't be heated up, it is a contact heater, if its touching it will get warm. As its not mentioned in your posts it is also advisable to invest in a thermostat to stop over heating and burns. (If you have one just ignore me, if you haven't put it top of your shopping list). If the heat isn't getting through the substrate, thin it out a bit, aim for just a covering and no more than an inch or your snake will have to dig down for some heat. My cornsnake spends most of the time at the cold end, only moving to the hot end when digesting his dinner.

This forum is the dogs danglers when it comes to knowledge on everything slithery and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, you'll normally get borbarded with people eager to help. Welcome to the forum and get some pictures posted ASAP so we can get a look at your new family member.
n/a Posted - 17/01/2011 : 20:14:43
Hi, before purchasing my snake i did a fair amount of reading on the extrodinary creatures, and even bought a book about them too. the problem is, is that i only know what the assistant told me and i have followed all instructions that i was given. I just dont want to harm this snake in anyway as he is now part of my family. help from someone like yourself is very much welcomed and will be much better than that of a shop assistant. i think i have found a solution!!! il get back to you. thanks for your post
Invalid User Posted - 17/01/2011 : 19:41:25
Hi, have a quick read of these topics to check your setup is correct then come back to us if you need more help :)

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

mikerichards Posted - 17/01/2011 : 19:23:54
if you have a read on the sticky about setting up your viv/faun, then you can answer you own question.
things like temps, setup, and general husbandry are things you should know before buying a snake, buying first and thinking second gets you into situations, and could potentially harm the snake.

So, read that then come back and tell us if its right or not, and what you are doing wrong...............thats my challenge to you......you up for it????

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000