The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Poor research!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuart619 Posted - 16/01/2011 : 11:21:29
I have just been speaking to a friend who as a Birthday present his girlfriend got him a corn snake.

It was only a hatchling and when I spoke to him he said he was putting it in a 3 foot viv that used to be used for dragons and also that he had no thermostat and that he hadn't really done any reasearch on corns.

I spoke to him again this morning and he said that it has already escaped twice through the vent holes in the old tank.

I told him to get a thermostat ASAP and also to get a small 10ltr fish tank with tight fitting lid so it can't escape.

I just get really annoyed when people think that the cost of the snake is equal to the cost of the whole set up. I am not being funny but just google corn snake hatchling setup and there is so much info.

Well sorry about the rant but get really fed up of hearing stories like this. I wonder what the percentage of hatcling deaths is based on either getting lost or just owners that haven't done their research?

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 21/01/2011 : 09:52:24
It is awful that there are keepers out there who neglect their pets too.

Congrats on giving her a new loving home. You'll have to get the pics up when she's settled in
Benji54 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 15:06:20
still, every cloud has a silver lining. im picking up an adult female carpet python tomorrow. The bloke who had her before got evicted and had to give all his reptiles to the pet shop. if he hadnt have got evicted noone would have known how neglected they were (poor carpet was covered in her own faeces and kept in a tiny viv) and she never would have been rehomed! but now, after a fortnight being expertly cared for by Anne at the exotic pet centre in maidstone, she is coming to live with me, to start a happy and healthy new life in her brand new massive viv! :)

unfortunately people like us lot on here seem few and far between in the pet keeping world :(
Kazerella Posted - 20/01/2011 : 14:59:25
I know, and unfortunately there's too many unwanted animals in this world. It's a sad side of pet keeping
Benji54 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 14:26:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Don't be offended - I wasn't aiming anything at you. I think you've done well to ensure your brother has everything he needs, including information on correct care.

I was just saying that generally giving animals as gifts is a bad idea and it's one of the reasons that a lot of animals end up in rescues just after new year.

yeah i agree that people shouldnt be surprised with animals they dont know how to care for. ive just rescued a snake myself (pick her up tomorrow) its always sad to see animals unwanted/neglected.
Kazerella Posted - 20/01/2011 : 14:21:07
Don't be offended - I wasn't aiming anything at you. I think you've done well to ensure your brother has everything he needs, including information on correct care.

I was just saying that generally giving animals as gifts is a bad idea and it's one of the reasons that a lot of animals end up in rescues just after new year.
Benji54 Posted - 20/01/2011 : 14:09:51
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

Any animal given as a present can end up the same. Think of the 'a dog is for life' campaign.

A puppy is very cute when it's under the Christmas tree with a bow around it's neck, but not so appealing when he's older and wanting to go for a walk in the freezing cold rain.

It is a very annoying side of pet keeping.

Agreed!!!

i do go and check up on him regularly and if they feel they cant care for it/i feel they cant he will come back to live with me.

ps they already wanted a snake but they couldnt afford one. i think that is very different to just springing a surprise on someone. i mean, my missus just helped me buy a snake as a present, that doesnt mean im not gunna look after it!. all my snakes are well looked after and some of them were presents. im a tad offended tbh.
mikerichards Posted - 17/01/2011 : 19:28:33
quote:

Any animal given as a present can end up the same. Think of the 'a dog is for life' campaign.

A puppy is very cute when it's under the Christmas tree with a bow around it's neck, but not so appealing when he's older and wanting to go for a walk in the freezing cold rain.

Agreed!!!
Kazerella Posted - 17/01/2011 : 14:00:42

Benji54 Posted - 17/01/2011 : 12:39:57
im right with ya! before giving a cornsnake as a present (which i did this year) i made sure the whole setup was correct and running sweet for a week, popped the lil guy in there and gave it to my brothers complete with a cornsnake keepers guide book, misting bottle, feeding tongs and a supply of pinkies. people should definitely know exactly what they are getting themselves into with any pet but especially an exotic one!
lucyloop Posted - 16/01/2011 : 20:51:26
It makes me so cross when people are given the wrong advice or don't bother to research enough. When I think about how quick I am to look on here if Tiko does something slighty out of character or I am not sure about something and yet there are those who assume they know or give people advice without being sure, it just makes me sad inside :(
herriotfan Posted - 16/01/2011 : 16:19:23
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

I was talking to a parent at school who bought a corn at Christmas for her son from the reptile shop I go to and usually trust. She commented how cute it was that it was always curled up in its water bowl so I asked what her temps were. You've guessed it - the setup they were sold has no stat and no thermometer. I told her to get them asap and to turn the mat off in the meantime. She said she wondered why they had to refill the water every day thinking the snake was drinking it all - actually it must have been evaporating!!

This highlights another problem....that retailers are very good at not giving all the information they should or giving incorrect information. Something we come across on this forum too frequently!
Having said that, there are lots who are very good but a novice has no way of knowing which is which....
Sammysnake Posted - 16/01/2011 : 15:20:57
I was talking to a parent at school who bought a corn at Christmas for her son from the reptile shop I go to and usually trust. She commented how cute it was that it was always curled up in its water bowl so I asked what her temps were. You've guessed it - the setup they were sold has no stat and no thermometer. I told her to get them asap and to turn the mat off in the meantime. She said she wondered why they had to refill the water every day thinking the snake was drinking it all - actually it must have been evaporating!!
herriotfan Posted - 16/01/2011 : 12:45:09
I foster animals for a local shelter and often have to deal with the result of no researching and impulse buying so I quite agree with you. It's aways the poor animal that suffers due to ignorance on the human part. As you say it takes no time at all to google!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000