The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Corns!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shaunio Posted - 04/01/2011 : 18:54:42
hey i just bought myself a baby corn snake, obviously not sexed yet, n am just wondering how old to get them probed for their sex again...also with me not having one for a while, if i come across any problems can i ask for advice pls....cheers...Shaun!!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shaunio Posted - 19/01/2011 : 19:34:53
cheers red, if it affected the snake it would soon let me know too i am guessing!!!
Red123 Posted - 19/01/2011 : 18:38:36
Hi, nice to here that things are going well with your snake now. I think having the paper there is just a personal thing. As far as I am aware it makes little difference. I'm sure if someone knows of a reason not to use it they will soon say. Some people just use sheets of newspaper as a substrate so I don't see any problems with it.
shaunio Posted - 19/01/2011 : 18:30:42
hey all my snake is doin well, has had 2 feeds now and seems happy. i put normal paper under my aspen between the bottom of the viv(glass) and under my aspen, is this ok to do or should i move it so the snake can feel the heat matt more??...cheers!!!
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 22:29:16
cheers for all the advice mate, they stress very easily, love my reptiles, just got to put the effort in and the rest all comes with it!!!
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 20:54:17
Yeah its good that he feels happy enough to move.
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 20:42:50
the snakes climbed onto its bush/tree thing red and is chillin in it, does that sound better to you mate??
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:31:29
Just had another thought after looking at your pics try to cover the back and 2 sides with some card or something. Snakes sometimes feel very vunerable in glass vivs because they are exposed on all sides. You could also put another hide in and more greenery to create cover for it if its feeling a little stressed. I think all snakes are different my two 5 month olds are very settled without much cover now but one was more shy when younger and liked to be hidden most of the time.
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:30:18
i'll try and get them as quick as tomorrow red, i just looked and it moved its head and stuck its tongue out, its just a common corn, i think its only months old, i can't remember what she said in the shop, i was gonna ring up today and get as much info and records as possible but my attention went to the snake being less active and have not picked a name as it has not been sexed yet mate!!!
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:25:29
I can only tell you what I use then its up to you what you buy, lol. I use the habistat temperature thermomstat its an on/off stat, so as soon as the temp drops below what it is set at it will cut in and heat the mat then it turns off when reaches about 1 degree above what it is set at. I also use a luckyreptile digital thermometer with probe. Its best to take the temp with a digital thermometer as other ones are not very accurate and the probe on the thermostats are not always as accurate as a thermometer probe. As reagrds to the snake I would just have a quick look through the glass side to see if you can see any movement from it. Best not to distrurb it if possible or it will just get more stressed. Do you know how old the snake is? Just being nosey now but what colour is he and whats his name?
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:23:11
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/imshauny/snake/IMAG0045.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/imshauny/snake/IMAG0044.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/imshauny/snake/IMAG0042.jpg

i took these yesterday before you give me your advice on not taking pictures, just so you get an idea of the viv
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:12:32
its spot on m8, am listening, i have a thermometer which just gives a reading, i'll try taking a little bit of aspen out and cover half the top, can you write down everything you recommend for me to buy tomorrow and i shall go and get it, the heat mat covers half of the viv from underneath and my substrate is about 3 cm deep, i'll flatten it out, i never had all this trouble last time i raised a snake lol, its still in the same place, should i check on it to make sure it is ok or just leave it to rest??
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 19:07:03
You MUST get a thermostat for the mat without a thermostat you run the risk of your snake getting burnt mats can be dangerous if not running on a thermostat. You will be able to control the amount of heat the mat generates and you should also get a digital thermometer that has a probe. Place the probe from the thermostat and the thermometer on top of the substrate in the warm end. You can use an elastic band to keep the 2 probes together. Only put a very thin layer of substrate over the area where the heat mat is no more than 1cm or it will act as an insulater and no heat will come into the viv. I use wooden vivs as they are better at keeping the heat than all glass. Placing a towel or a piece of cardboard half over the mesh top will certainly help with keeping the heat in. Oh and is the heat mat big enough? It needs to cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor area. Obviously smaller heat mats have lower wattage so may not get as hot. Sorry if I have gone on a bit just trying not to miss anything out. Hope this helps.
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:56:01
I am heating with a mat, its like a strip and it does not have a thermostat, however when i had my last corn in it, it was about 78 F, would u recoment covering the top and buying a new heating system tomorrow when i finish work??, thanks again!!!
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:44:59
I would say that the temp in the warm side is too low. My warm sides run at 80 C and the cool end is at 72 C. How are you taking the temp with a digital thermometer or one of those round things or a strip? Are you heating with a mat and do you have it connected to a thermostat?
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:39:20
Cheers red, I have a exo-terra viv, its the perfect size for the snake, it has a mesh lid, my temp on the warm side doesn't seem to go over 70F tho, should i put something on top of the mesh just incase it is ventilating too much heat out or too much cold in??. But it seems to be active, well it was until i got back from work and it has regurgitated, it is currently lying in between the cold and warm side of the viv, bang on in the middle at the front, under its aspen, it has been there for over an hour, when I had a look about 30 mins ago it moved its head and then shyed back away into its aspen...I find baby corn snakes are very risky as if everything ain't perfect they stress easily compared to adults, cheers again red...Shaun!!!
Red123 Posted - 05/01/2011 : 18:25:21
Shaun its normal to leave a new snake completely alone for at least 1 week regardless of the snakes age. This gives it a chance to settle in. You should just do a water change every couple of days and spot clean if needed. But no handling and no feeding or taking photos. As your corn had regurgitated its pinky you must NOT feed it it for 10 days now so that the snake can recover from this as its quite stressful for them. I would leave it alone now and keep an eye on it from a distance and offer another pinky in 10 days you will probably find it will eat just fine. If you post what set up you have temps etc that would be good just incase thats somehing to do with it.
shaunio Posted - 05/01/2011 : 16:35:55
I put a pinky in with the snake yesterday and watched it eat it, came back from work and its regurgitated it back up, do u think it is because it is still getting used to its surroundings??
lotabob Posted - 04/01/2011 : 22:39:59
Given an iota of a chance he will escape too. Amazingly cunning little escape artists.
shaunio Posted - 04/01/2011 : 21:25:25
eh the snake has tryed everything to get out, climbed up its plant and using its muscles on the top of the viv, using the side and metal mesh to keep its self up, wot a climber!!!
herriotfan Posted - 04/01/2011 : 20:19:32
Aspen is good. When you feed your snake do it in a seperate rub or make sure you put down some paper/kitchen roll under the mouse to stop the snake eating substrate as well. I prefer to feed mine in a seperate rub then there's no contact with substrate at all even if the snake drags it's mouse round and round before eating it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000