The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat mat query

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Emiko Posted - 26/12/2010 : 18:03:23
So, I've just got a new wooden vivarium for my Ichigo for Christmas. I've also bought a new heat mat and stuff for the viv with my Christmasw money. I am now skint.

I was wondering if you should put the heat mat bellow the vivarium, like with a glass or plastic one. Also I'm terrified that Ichi will get burnt if I have to put the mat inside the tank, because he likes to burrow quite a bit. So could I cover it in something? I heard linoleum is quite good if you use silicone sealant but I think that might cause the mat to over heat. I've also heard that newspaper could be used, which I like the sound of. But what would I stick it down with?

Sorry if theres a post like this, I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks!!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
a33272 Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:58:22
for things like that i just get the small metal hooks or rings which can be screwed in
lotabob Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:55:00
Its just some hanging vines and a hammock thing, the suction cups wont work but maybe a splodge of hot glue might pursuade them to stick. Beats the fast drying super glue I was going to use and just have spot out his vivarium until it dries and then ventilate it for a few hours to get rid of the fumes.
a33272 Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:49:18
i only really use it for putting probes on mat, not sure how good it would be doing other stuff but worth trying
lotabob Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:44:43
Well I'm sold on it. Hadn't crossed my mind before but the quick drying bit is perfect for the vivarium as I don't have anywhere to keep Spot in long enough for drying glue and I have some new stuff arriving soon which will need sticking so Ebay here I come.
a33272 Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:38:36
no wont get anywhere near hot enough to soften it
lotabob Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:35:00
And the heat from the mat, does it affect the glue in any way ie soften it?
a33272 Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:31:52
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Ooh I do like the sound of using a glue gun. As you say odourless, non toxic and very quick setting. May be investing in one of those very soon.

it works really well, and if need be it can be broken off with abit of force
lotabob Posted - 27/12/2010 : 18:17:31
Ooh I do like the sound of using a glue gun. As you say odourless, non toxic and very quick setting. May be investing in one of those very soon.
a33272 Posted - 27/12/2010 : 11:40:31
my mat is held down in the corners with drawing pins to stop it lifting, the probes are glued on with a glue gun as my corn had a habit of crawling under the wires and lifting the probes off the mat, i used a glue gun as its set within a few mins and odourless
lucyloop Posted - 27/12/2010 : 09:39:57
i have my mat inside my viv held down with a rock and Tiko's hide, as long as you have a digital thermometer and a mat stat it should not overheat.
lotabob Posted - 26/12/2010 : 19:30:32
Its not permanent, it just peels off but if you've some good heavy decor, hides etc it should be fine. I only leave mine loose so when I clean out I can lift it to fully wipe down all surfaces.
Emiko Posted - 26/12/2010 : 19:15:05
I'm rethinking the sealant because it seems rather 'permanent'.

Thanks alot for the help
lotabob Posted - 26/12/2010 : 19:08:59
Good stuff, then yeah I have my mat inside the vivarium with the mat-stat probe directly on the mat to control its temperature. As for sticking it down and covering it, I haven't bothered, its temp is controlled and it is covered with a layer of wood chip though it could be stuck down with aquarium sealant if you want to do that, just don't use sticky tape, its dangerous for snakes as they can get stuck to it.
Emiko Posted - 26/12/2010 : 19:04:09
Yes I've ordered an on/off one (my old ones knackered).
The heat mat and thermostat etc have been ordered today so this is just for set up when everything arrives
lotabob Posted - 26/12/2010 : 19:02:16
Sorry before anything, have you bought a thermostat? Inside is best for wooden encloseures because outside it will have to get very hot before it has any effect inside which is dangerous. But inside is dangerous for the snake without a thermostat.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000