The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 corn snake grumpy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daveopn67 Posted - 25/12/2010 : 21:07:02
how do I gain my new adults corn snake confidence in me handling?

What are the signs of the snake being defensive
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jonoandapril Posted - 26/12/2010 : 11:03:13
i found that mine sometimes darts into cover when i try to pick her up. if she does i just leave it a few hours or she just sits on my hand not moving. if she doesnt try to run away then i know shes happy to be handled. however saying that, my wifes snakey ALWAYS darts for cover but is active during handeling? just different personalitys i guess.
Zincubus Posted - 25/12/2010 : 23:57:22
Hi bud , did you get my email ??
lotabob Posted - 25/12/2010 : 21:56:52
Tiffany is right, picking them up is the hard part for the snake (putting them down again is the hardest bit for us). As its all new to him then he probably is just a bit nervous. They are curious/nosey little creatures though, sometimes been there and keeping still is enough of an intrigue to get them to investigate you. How long have you had the snake?
Tiffany-x Posted - 25/12/2010 : 21:42:39
If he is eating and drinking that usually indicates that he isnt stressed, which is a good thing and means he can be handled. All though have to be is confident, but not too confident as fast movements will obviously make him more scared. Hold him bravely, but be gentle, he is a delicate little creature remember! :) Im not sure which part of handling you are struggling with, but usually once you have them in your hands they relax and are happy, they just arent too keen on being picked up, but if it is during handling then just keep it up, keep trying and only time will prove to him that you are safety! :)

I hope this helps.
Tiffany-x
daveopn67 Posted - 25/12/2010 : 21:16:34
Thanks,

with what you said it sounds like he is a little nervous, if I give him time will he come to me?

He fed though 3 days ago so at least he ie eating and drinking!!!!![:)
lotabob Posted - 25/12/2010 : 21:13:12
Signs of defensive behaviour include, tail shaking, hissing, coiling into an 'S' shape at the neck and puffing out their chest to make themselves look larger. More obvious signs are been bitten but don't worry its nothing major.

If you give your new snake a week to settle in before even attempting to handle you stand more chance of having a calm snake. Just be patient and learn to read your snakes mood and you'll be grand, sometimes they just want left alone.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000