The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Settling in

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 11:40:37
So I just got my first corn snake on Tuesday. I put it in the viv with a heat mat and plenty of bedding and I have not seen it since. It is rather cold in the house as we have run out of oil. COuld the snake be hibernating? How long should I leave it to settle in? According to the shop owner it is due a feed today. And it is due as a Christmas present on Saturday.
All help welcome!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 23/12/2010 : 21:57:47
No worries, its possibly avoiding the mat as its already too hot, you can pick up a Habistat mat-stat or equivalent for £25 or so. Its totally worth it, ideally you need a digital thermometer too, the dial ones are - to put it bluntly - crap.

What morph did you choose, age, etc? We all like hearing all about corn snakes, no such thing as too much information (when refering to snakes anyway). You said its an xmas present for someone, who's the lucky person?
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 21:34:39
Thanks for that. The snake seems to be avoiding the mat anyway, but Will get a thermostat and leave it alone.
lotabob Posted - 23/12/2010 : 19:28:46
quote:
Originally posted by Sebbysnake

there is certainly no danger of over heating just now!

That is not true, without a stat there is always the risk of overheating but the more important and urgent thing to worry about is protecting your snake from been too hot or getting a burn, the mat doesn't need to be overheating to be too hot for your snake. For instance my 20 Watt mat unstatted reaches 38 degrees centigrade in an hour and continued to climb slowly until I gave up the test at 40 degrees, 30 degrees is the maximum temperature for a corn snake.

It sounds like the snake just needs some time to calm down and get used to his new surroundings. Leave him alone for at least a week other than to change the water and clean up any poo, if he comes out to see whats going on just be still and let him smell you. Don't grab at him or move suddenly as you will startle him and he has only two options, run away or bite you in defense. Don't worry about feeding while he is settling in, they can go months without food so 1 or even 2 weeks without food won't do him any harm at all.
n/a Posted - 23/12/2010 : 14:54:30
Thanks for comments. I don't actually have a thermostat yet. The mat is on alll the time, but there is certainly no danger of over heating just now! ANyway I found the snake in the bedding, but whenever I put a hand near it the snake reared its head and opened its mouth, hissing aggressively. Is this normal? Do I handle him anyway?
saamicaat Posted - 23/12/2010 : 12:20:33
as said before if the viv is set to the right temperature your snake will probably be getting used to its new surroundings and settling in, it's likely it may not feed either as is still getting used to new sights and smells. It may be coming out in the evening when no ones around to explore. Have you checked the snake itself to make sure its okay?
Recluso Posted - 23/12/2010 : 12:06:37
Is the vivarium thermostatted to the correct temperature range? If the viv is at the right range then it's unlikely to be hibernating I should think. If the viv IS at the right temperature, then chances are the snake's just hiding away still and getting used to it's new environment.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000