The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 feding in the viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:03:37
i was told by that feeding my corn snake in the viv,can cause problems with my snake, reason is for this is that i used aspen beddin in the viv, when feeding my snake they said that the aspen can get on the mice and my snake would have problem because of that he wuoldn't be able to digest it.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Benji54 Posted - 29/12/2010 : 12:33:50
my corns are both really lazy too. all the snakes ive had from hatchlings are good hunters but the corns are lazy (but getting there, im training them up :) )

the main advantage to feeding out of the viv is that if the snake doest associate food with its viv its less likely to mistake your hand for food when you reach in to get him!
also when you say "holding" the food i assume you mean with tongs/tweezers/forceps etc not by hand? if you are feeding by hand be careful! i did it few times for my royal and then one day he bit me (not whilst feeding) and then wouldnt take food from my hand anymore. my mistake entirely of course, but one ive leaned from
n/a Posted - 27/12/2010 : 22:46:00
thank you guys, ive tried him in an tub but he didnt want it, but as soon he went back in the viv he was going nuts for it and i think ive got an lazy striker, when he tahes the mice he doesnt wrap round it, but as long he eats thats wot matters to me.
infatuateddrummer Posted - 27/12/2010 : 19:15:36
i use aspen for zeus and once the fuzzie has defrosted i dry him off with paper towel so he is dry before feeding that wat no aspen sticks to the fuzzie! hope that helps!
SexyBear77 Posted - 22/12/2010 : 10:42:27
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

When I contacted Easi bed they told me that there was pine in it. Don't know if I spoke to the wrong person but that put me off using it.

It appears you're right, snakes all getting a clean out today!
FiestaSTLou Posted - 22/12/2010 : 09:26:13
when their babies i feed mine outta the rub in a seperate plastic tub, but my other corn Syds to big now and the other 2 royals are just lazy + the fact as soon as any of them 3 smell the smallest bit of mice they go crackers and getting 2 hungry royals and a fiesty corn out is not a easy task lol so now i just lay kitchel towel :)
bigal Posted - 22/12/2010 : 09:14:52
When I contacted Easi bed they told me that there was pine in it. Don't know if I spoke to the wrong person but that put me off using it.
SexyBear77 Posted - 21/12/2010 : 19:10:10
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

Sexybear77, what substrate do you use? I feed mine in the vivs as i use beech chip, but i much prefer the look of aspen.

I use Easi-Bed atm, was using Hemcore but they've started using citronella in it now so I've switched.
jonoandapril Posted - 21/12/2010 : 18:10:32
i feed mine in the viv and she rarely gets any of the substrate in her mouth. she strikes and constricts tho, so the mouse never really touches the ground...
Red123 Posted - 21/12/2010 : 09:42:37
Sexybear77, what substrate do you use? I feed mine in the vivs as i use beech chip, but i much prefer the look of aspen.
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/12/2010 : 23:27:00
I feed all my snakes in either their vivs or there houses, I don't put anything down to stop ingestion of substrate and have never had a problem. Snakes swallow far worse things in the wild, a small piece of aspen is nothing to worry about.
morph2010 Posted - 20/12/2010 : 23:17:01
i have a plastic plate just for mine, put it in corner he eats off plate
n/a Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:15:00
ok thanks
n/a Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:14:03
when i feed him, he strike at the mice cause i hold it, watching him eat for the first time was so cool, cant wait to watch him again
gmac Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:13:07
yup, just try it out in a rub for feeding and see what happens. There is not trick or knack to it just put it in the box and offer food.
n/a Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:09:03
ok thanks, is there any way i can change him to eating in an plastic box, because i would rather do that.
gmac Posted - 20/12/2010 : 22:05:11
thats true aspen can be ingested and may well cause impaction, if you are feeding in the viv put some kitchen paper down and this will stop mouse getting any aspen on it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000