The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Broken thermostat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 19/12/2010 : 17:02:09
Hi all- wondering if anybody has had the same problem as me..but first let me apologise for a long post! (But its important!)

I have a Microclimate B2 pulse stat for non-light heaters (I use a ceramic healt bulb). On morning saturday 18th when checking the temperature I noticed that it had dropped lower than normal overnight and there was no heat from the bulb-even though the orange heat light on the stat control box is on constant (which means full power).

Ive done my own tests on it-if the bulb is plugged into the mains it works fine and the stat pulses out power which I saw from testing it out on various electronics. But when I connect everything--no heat!

I went down to my locl reptile store today (who are fantastic there is no doubt of that) and they had a look and found the same as I did. Knowing more about stats than I do they said that full power mode doesnt work (constant orange light saying heat) but the pulse does work (fashing orange light when power is being supplied). They said I should ring the people at Microstat and what would probably happen is they will ask me to send it back to them. Sounds all well good doesnt it-but with the weather as it is post deliveries and pick ups are messed up and if i post it now there is a chance i wont get it back until the new year.
I then asked about buying a brand new stat- but they are out of stock until at least thursday.
The guy in the shop said I would be ok if I warmed up the sensor in the morning so it doesnt use full power mode which seems not to be working.(it most likely isnt a loose wire as that would just kill the whole stat) Failing that he said that as long as the house isnt too cold the snake would be ok at a lower temperature as long as I dont feed her and she would warm up ok later on.

So Im now at home and after warming the sensor; it worked for a few minutes, until it changed to the dredded constant orange light and now Im just sat here watching the numbers on my thermometer drop down. Ive tryed ringing the place that makes them, no answer (well it is sunday) and the shop said i was the first time they have ever seen something like this so I dont think they will be able to help me anymore than they have.

Problem now is that our central heating is now broken aswel! the day keeps getting better! So heres what I was thinking- i plug the bulb directly in the mains and then unplug it when it gets to the top end of a corns prefered temp-then plug it back in when it drops a few degrees. I dont have a heat mat anymore and the bulb is the heat source i use, so now my main concern is that I could be harming the snakes by the changes in temperature...am I? I know they are a tough snake and in the wild its a bit more all over the place concerning temperature, but I cant help but think that as she is used to a constant temperature-she can feel the changes more! Also if i fall asleep or leave the room for a while there is no control of the temperature--so it could get too warm-so my plan is hardly fool proof-unless i stay awake until thursday and dont leave my room.

Anyone else have/had this problem or advice on what I can do?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 19/12/2010 : 21:29:25
Yeh I guess my descriptions are not the best- the full power mode I was talking of, well that doesnt work-the temperature just drops and the bulb goes cold like it isnt even turned on-even when its displaying as giving full power.
the normal light test was what I did and what the shop did, it flashes on and off so thats where we thought it would work if it was warmed up so full power wouldnt be needed.

Ive replaced the bulb socket and the bulb with a brand new one tonight and I still have the same problem, so I guessing that it is the stat that is playing up? :(

lee2308- Im in leeds, but I wouldnt feel right using somebody elses stuff! xD
eeji Posted - 19/12/2010 : 21:10:31
the "full power mode" isn't really a mode, it comes on constantly if the temperature isn't high enough, then starts to pulse to maintain your desired temperature.

an easy way to test if the stat is working is to unplug your ceramic and plug in a regular light bulb. If the bulb lights up then put the probe next to the bulb to warm up. Once it warms if the bulb starts to flash this will tell you the stat is working as it should and the problem is with the ceramic bulb.
lee2308 Posted - 19/12/2010 : 17:55:15
Where abouts are you?there might be a member close by who will be good enough to lend you a stat for now.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000