The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Can I use aspen substrate for Pliskin?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Newbie Posted - 16/12/2010 : 17:30:41
Hi Everyone,

When I got my little corn, they told me he could have Aspen Substrate in his viv when I upgrade him, but never mentioned using it sooner. He's on kitchen roll at the moment and I'm wondering whether he might appreciate a more natural looking set-up, but I don't want to use another substrate if it would be too rough for him,

Any guidance on this would be great! x
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Newbie Posted - 17/12/2010 : 21:17:02
Hi,

Thanks everyone, feeling quite cross that the shop is giving out incorrect advice, kind of feel that they should know about the snakes they sell, although at least I didn't turn it off because I'd done a bit of background reading (thank god for the internet!)

Hopefully with these correct temps and a bit of time to settle Pliskin will be ok! x
slix Posted - 17/12/2010 : 13:17:46
yes you definetly need to leave your heat matt on dureing the day the different temp change won't do him any good what so ever your corn will need a steady temp at night and in the day .the temp will cool slightly at night anyway because of the outside temp
gmac Posted - 17/12/2010 : 12:08:50
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

The guy in the store said we could turn off the heatmat during the day and only put it on at night but nothing I've read says to do that and sometimes it gets really cold during the day here! Should I be leaving it on permenantly?

The shop has misinformed you.

Leave your heatmat on during the day, the temperatures you have at night are fine but they must be maintained through the day, and by turning the mat off during the day they wont be.
Newbie Posted - 17/12/2010 : 09:44:34
Hiya Lotobob

I have a Climate International Heatmat under one end, which keeps the temp there to between 27-28 degrees and the other end is roughly 21-23 degrees (I currently only have a thermometer at the heated end until my next visit to pets at home!)his water is in the cool end of his faunarium and he has hiding spots in both, are these temps ok?

The guy in the store said we could turn off the heatmat during the day and only put it on at night but nothing I've read says to do that and sometimes it gets really cold during the day here! Should I be leaving it on permenantly?

Thanks for the info x btw way, your little snakes adorable!
lotabob Posted - 17/12/2010 : 00:57:50
Welcome to the forum :)

Regurge smells worse than anything I have ever smelled before in my life. I had to deal with a regurge a few weeks ago. Best thing to do is leave completely alone for the next ten days, to help him settle into his new home and to give his stomach time to recover. No handling, no fussing for 10 days is a nightmare but resist the urge to handle him, just fresh water everyday and clean ups if he poops.

A few other things to check as I don't think temperatures were mentioned in any great detail, are you sure your temperatures are correct?
gmac Posted - 16/12/2010 : 21:47:59
11 days with no feed is not a problem, so dont worry you are not starving him
Newbie Posted - 16/12/2010 : 21:46:13
Hiya Katie,

Don't apologize! I should have explained a bit more! Definately regurge (saw him do it, thought he was yawning at first!) but really quite offensive to the nose, is it always that smelly when they do this?

Just feel sorry for him, going to have to leave him until at least wednesday now I think from what I've read, feel like I'm starving him! It'll mean he'll have gone 11 days since his last feed. xx
Katie.Dublin Posted - 16/12/2010 : 21:08:03
Oh my apologies! I thought you were going on a feeding marathon for a while there haha! Sorry about that. Also, might sound like a silly question but it's definitely regurge and not poo??
herriotfan Posted - 16/12/2010 : 19:47:29
Normally we leave our snakes for 48 hours after feeding to give them chance to digest their meal. Poor little chap has had a lot to deal with very soon after his meal so I'm not surprised he's had an upset tummy. I'd leave him for between a week and 10 days to let the natural balance of his stomach settle down before feeding him again. It really won't hurt him to go without a feed for that time, it will just give his system time to sort itself out. Bless him....
Newbie Posted - 16/12/2010 : 19:42:58
Hi katie.dublin,

He was only fed his pinkie on saturday and I haven't fed him yet, so that's why its confused me that he regurgitated twice! I'm wondering whether he snuck out of his house and fed himself while I was out x
Newbie Posted - 16/12/2010 : 19:40:39
Hi gmac,

Thanks for the link, I've had a quick look and I'm wondering if it was the stress of him being moved around to a new home and going through the different temps of his RUB in the shop, the car on the way home and then his new faunarium, so soon after a feed.

I have a heat mat under one end of his faunarium but have just popped another few areas to hide in it in the hope he'll feel more secure. Just want him to be happy!

Thanks for the info x
Katie.Dublin Posted - 16/12/2010 : 19:38:59
If you only got him on sunday it is reccomended that you leave him a week to settle in before you interact with him (apart from water changes). And if he was fed on saturday he wouldnt need to be fed again until the following weekend. Corn snakes can be greedy little things, so if he was fed on saturday, tuesday, and today, that could be your explanation to the regurge! Just let him settle a while :)Hope that helps a bit, Welcome to the forum!
gmac Posted - 16/12/2010 : 19:31:21
newbie, have a look through this http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792
Newbie Posted - 16/12/2010 : 19:28:54
Thanks everyone,

Thinking about moving him onto aspen soon, feeling a bit anxious actually, he has regurged twice since I got him on sunday, wondering if its the stress of a new house and being moved about he was fed by the shop on saturday but he regurgitated on teusday and seems to have brought more up today.

Not sure whats wrong
Inkygirl Posted - 16/12/2010 : 18:35:37
same as Ammerz :D x
Ammerz Posted - 16/12/2010 : 18:27:18
Mine have always been on a mixture of kitchen roll and aspen!
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 16/12/2010 : 18:07:56
Aspen is fine for him.
And welcome to the form :)
gmac Posted - 16/12/2010 : 17:52:40
aspen is fine for corns
slix Posted - 16/12/2010 : 17:33:07
i dont think that there will be a problem using aspen as i have always used beech wood chippings from since i had him at 4 mnths old and thats what he was on when he was in the pet shop

and by the way welcome to the forum

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000