The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Care sheet from shop!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Invalid User Posted - 09/12/2010 : 15:34:15
I was given a care sheet when I collected Nimbus but thanks to this forum I knew everything before I got him, however I did laugh at some of the info.

*It should feel strong and not flacid in your hands*

*Kissing your snake is best avoided*

Never heard of this before???

*Newspaper should not be used as a substrate, especially in large vivariums as it has been likened to the snake living on an ice skating rink and spinal injury can result*
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikerichards Posted - 11/12/2010 : 10:36:23
snakes carry pseudamonas in their mouth, it wont do you any favours!!
Snakes do carry salmonella on their scales, its mostly because they will have a cr*p and then move through it, and as they cant exactly have a wash themselves, they cant get it off.
Some of you might remember, i did a swab of a corns mouth and scales, then had it tested, pseudamonas and salmonella, not a heacy concentration in either, but they were there, and its perfectly normal.
Its the exact reason why you should always wash your hands, or have alcohol Gel available.

The newspaper bit is rubbish, its perfectly ok to use as bedding.
lucyloop Posted - 10/12/2010 : 20:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

quote:
Originally posted by lucyloop

quote:

I kiss snakes... or rather a forced kiss although your not supposed to as you can get diseases but :( also cannot help it when they stick their tongue in places that they shouldn't stick like up my nose :( You can get salmonella that way and thrres another nasty thing in a snake's mouth but I can't remember what it's called XD

Never heard of the newspaper one though.

Tiko always pokes his tongue up my nose when he is exploring round my neck - again, another thing I thought I would never type!!

I am no expert but I believe that it is incredibly difficult to catch salmonella as the animal carries it without actually having it (please correct me here if I am wrong) so hopefully a quick nose kiss is ok!

Lol yeh. I stick my head n the viv to clean water on scoop or some poo and venom attempts to stick his tongue I'm sure right up there on some kind of surprise sneak attack or in my mouth :( you can just taste the salmonella XD
It is hard to catch salmonella if your healthy yes :)

I wonder how the snake gets salmonella anyway. Seems weird that they would just have it in their scales/skin? Salmonella that I know of is a poop related thing XD

I think its carried by a lot of animals but not always present, i know at the safari park the animals are tested routinely and if they are positive they have to be quarantined until it passes. I believe the bacteria is present in their skin and poop.

Sta~ple Posted - 10/12/2010 : 18:47:37
quote:
Originally posted by lucyloop

quote:

I kiss snakes... or rather a forced kiss although your not supposed to as you can get diseases but :( also cannot help it when they stick their tongue in places that they shouldn't stick like up my nose :( You can get salmonella that way and thrres another nasty thing in a snake's mouth but I can't remember what it's called XD

Tiko always pokes his tongue up my nose when he is exploring round my neck - again, another thing I thought I would never type!!

I am no expert but I believe that it is incredibly difficult to catch salmonella as the animal carries it without actually having it (please correct me here if I am wrong) so hopefully a quick nose kiss is ok!

Lol yeh. I stick my head n the viv to clean water on scoop or some poo and venom attempts to stick his tongue I'm sure right up there on some kind of surprise sneak attack or in my mouth :( you can just taste the salmonella XD
It is hard to catch salmonella if your healthy yes :)

I wonder how the snake gets salmonella anyway. Seems weird that they would just have it in their scales/skin? Salmonella that I know of is a poop related thing XD
drchino Posted - 10/12/2010 : 12:20:59
I've given my snake a kiss a few times, no tongues though.
Figs Posted - 10/12/2010 : 09:44:59
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Ha,ha you're getting into this random snake talk now aren't you!!
I don't know the ins and outs os salmonella but my ex had terrapins when he was in his teens and he'd let them hava a wander on the kitchen worktop. He didn't wipe the area after and his dad later made some butties for himself. Needless to say he was very ill.

i've heard that terrapins much higher risk of carrying salmonella than snakes, since snakies dont swim around in their ownpoopall day
Mort13 Posted - 10/12/2010 : 07:50:50
Ha,ha you're getting into this random snake talk now aren't you!!
I don't know the ins and outs os salmonella but my ex had terrapins when he was in his teens and he'd let them hava a wander on the kitchen worktop. He didn't wipe the area after and his dad later made some butties for himself. Needless to say he was very ill.
lucyloop Posted - 09/12/2010 : 20:45:16
quote:

lotabob Posted - 09/12/2010 : 19:29:40
quote:

thrres another nasty thing in a snake's mouth but I can't remember what it's called XD

= TEETH!
Sta~ple Posted - 09/12/2010 : 17:32:06

Mort13 Posted - 09/12/2010 : 16:12:43
You've got Nimbus,yay!!
Lmao!! Thats got to be one of the best care sheets going!! The first part had me in rucks.
I understand the last thing though,if the snake slipped and fell over it could really hurt its back!!
Tiffany-x Posted - 09/12/2010 : 16:03:24
I heard you shouldnt kiss snakes, and as far as the first one goes, well well well! ;) And the last Im not sure. :)
Tiffany-x
herriotfan Posted - 09/12/2010 : 15:46:41
Ummmmm, not sure we should comment on the first one!!!!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000