The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Multiple mat stat?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Invalid User Posted - 09/12/2010 : 09:19:09
Hi, another question

If you have more than one snake setup, do you need a thermostat for each heat mat or is there a thermostat you can buy that will control more than one?

I'm not very good with electricals so this might be a really dumb question but if you plug an extention lead in to the stat, with extra sockets on it and then plug a heat mat into each socket, would the stat control the temp on all the heat mats? (hope that made sense)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gmac Posted - 09/12/2010 : 11:06:24
there is always a downside, if you are using a single stat for 2 mats it is always wise to have a spare stat just incase. Better to have the spare so if your Stat breaks somehow you will be able to replace it quickly, if you dont have one you have 2 cold snakes.

jedi edit :), hope your stat arrives and you get to collect your corn
Invalid User Posted - 09/12/2010 : 11:03:06
That's fantastic, yup mat would be same size.

I really want to get a second snake early next year but have found the stat is one of the most expensive bits so being able to use one for a few setups is just great.

Fingers crossed if my stat gets delivered today I may actually get to bring Nimbus home. This waiting lark is just not funny now :o(
gmac Posted - 09/12/2010 : 10:59:57
Yup Louise thats fine, assuming mat size is the same also
Invalid User Posted - 09/12/2010 : 10:56:53
No, jump in, that's fine. :o)

So if I ran 2 faunariums, both same size, both with 7 watt heat mats, both at 29c, I would be fine to use my nini stat that is ok up to a max of 100 watts?

gmac Posted - 09/12/2010 : 10:53:22
Red, thats fine, there will possibly be a small difference between mat temps, my stack has a very small temp difference from all mats about 0.5c at the most.

Red123 Posted - 09/12/2010 : 10:36:41
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here Louise. Gmac, Thats really interesting to know. When Keith and Frank move into their vivs I thought I would have to buy another stat. So is this right; make sure both mats are completely cold, plug both into the extension lead then switch thermostat on. The probe from the stat would rest on one heat mat and you would need a digital thermometer on both mats for correct temps. Both mats will run at the same temp? My stats says max 300w so as long as the total combined mat wattage does not exceed that its ok?
gmac Posted - 09/12/2010 : 09:45:28
you dont need a thermostat of each mat, as you suggested it can be done with extension cable.

Few things to consider when doing this is, the mats must be the same size etc, and the thermostat must have a high enough output to regulate the mats, ie matstat 100 will only operate mats to a max output of 100 Watts. The housing must be he same as there is no point in using the same stat to try to heat a glass viv and a wooden viv just wont work.

I dont think any of my snakes have their own stat all are on shared stats and works a treat for me

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000