The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 RUBs V vivs, Is there any competition?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/12/2010 : 00:39:43
Ok so i keep my corn snakes in a viv, and it seems like the cheaper alternative (RUBs) are too good to be true. However, i can't see any benefits for the snake to live in one!

Are there any Pros for the snake regarding living in a rub? Obviously its cheaper, easier to carry, easier to stack etc. Im dying for more snakes, but i don't like the idea of an ugly plastic box for an adult snake!:( I cant afford another viv at the moment though! Maybe i'm getting the wrong idea, is it just Hatchies that people house in Rubs?

One more thing, is it possible to make a natural loooking habitat out of a RUB? If anyone has a picture of an example i'd much appreciate it!

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eeji Posted - 06/12/2010 : 19:18:20
all my snakes are in 'giant lunchboxes' for a variety of reasons. They aren't that brilliant for saving space, the amount of space I have for 30x big RUBS could easily have 30x vivs built in the same space.

The main reasons for myself are....
Versatility: I can start small snakes in small tubs and easily swap in a larger tub when needed - A big viv build wouldn't allow for this.
Light and easy to clean: plastic cleans and disinfects easier than wood and they are light enough to tip upside down to empty and chuck in the bath
Easy to heat lots: I have 10 shelves all heated by 2 heat cables through a single stat, vivs would all need individual heaters

The main reasons for the snakes....
Translucent tubs: allow light to pass inside but the snake can't see clearly out of the box creating a secure environment
Safety: the snakes are never in direct contact with the heat source and a water bowl has no chance of being spilled over it

...so they're not all bad
Tiffany-x Posted - 06/12/2010 : 09:13:55
If you want another snake I am presuming you are looking at hatchlings, if so you wont need to save for a viv for a little while, and as for if you want an adult, buy an RUB then save for a few months and buy a viv then. No harm done keeping it in an RUB for a few months, and for a few months does it matter how it looks? :)
Tiffany-x
lrv2307 Posted - 06/12/2010 : 05:21:03
i have RUB for feeding
and where morgana is so small, ive filled her viv with lots of brances etc, and lots of aspen so she can burrow

she has a good explore in the evenings, and its great to watch her

if you do consider an RUB, make sure you put masking tape on the area your drilling air holes into, that way you dont get any/little plastic burrs on it, so less scraping and sanding to do
as far as i know, you can drill holes for fixtures etc, to zip tie cables and plants

they are dead handy, and cheeper to buy them on line than go to staples or rymans lol
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/index.php

i use them for so many things, keeping morgana's aspen and bits and bobs, also her frozen pinkys in the freezer lol
lotabob Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:31:02
I have to agree they are nicely kitted out inside but not very aesthetically pleasing from the outside.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:16:18
Thanks for the link Gmac, not as ugly as i thought! Still though, i prefer vivs.. think ill save up for another
lotabob Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:07:50
Oooh I like that blue 'moon' light on page 1 of that thread. May have to have a look into that.
gmac Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:05:06
there are photos of some RUBS in this thread http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6324
Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:01:56
Okie doke. Thanks
gmac Posted - 06/12/2010 : 01:00:23
i dont use lighting, heat mats or heat cable is best for rubs
Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/12/2010 : 00:59:27
How do you work the wiring and stuff? Lighting in particular.. is there any way to use a decorative bulb IN the box itself?
gmac Posted - 06/12/2010 : 00:55:28
I keep 2 of my adults corns and my adult royal in in a giant lunchbox and there is no problem whatsoever with keeping them in Rubs, and certainly not treated as football cards or anything other than pets.

My royal infact was put into the Rub as he didn't eat while he was in the viv so was put somewhere where he felt more secure and eats very well now.

Corns dont climb so they dont really need the height of the viv, and you can decorate the inside of a rub to make it a natural habitat.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 06/12/2010 : 00:53:12
You hit the nail on the head there! My Viv looks nice in the room with the light and such. I don't like the commercial look of stacks of RUBs at all... Maybe i'm being ignorant and the snakes do well in RUBs, who knows!
lotabob Posted - 06/12/2010 : 00:45:49
I would be the same, I wouldn't want my snakes in tubs, its a pet, not a football card. I want to provide it with as close to its wild habitat as is possible without flying it to America, and for the habitat to be a beautiful and interesting piece of furniture at the same time. I do have a RUB but as temporary accomodation while I clean out etc I couldn't keep any animal in a giant lunch box.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000