The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Bathing?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 01/12/2010 : 19:06:30
I have still not had a normal poop from Patrick, but he has passed a small very dark hardish piece of poop. So I assume that he may well be constipated. I have bathed him this afternoon in the bath with cool water he was in there for about 10-15 mins. I had a good feel down his body and can feel no lumps or bumps until I get to about an inch from his vent. It feels like a small acorn size lump quite hard and is on the underside of him. I'm guessing that this is the problem? He did not pass anything in the bath and still hasn't, keeping fingers crossed for overnight poop. If he doesn't go should I bath him again tomorow with slightly warmer water?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 02/12/2010 : 10:03:22
I bathe my corns at 27/28. I would go and get that lump checked out though, it might not be a poo but something else which is causing him not to poop well.
Red123 Posted - 02/12/2010 : 07:49:42
Well Patrick has not left me a present over night so I guess he needs another bath. I had my other adult corn out last night for comparison. The lump I can feel in Patrick is also present in Sid but in Sid it is really soft and smaller. Patrick is a very hard muscular snake so would this lump be normal for Patrick? (Sid is quite a squashy snake in comparison).
tehbunneh Posted - 01/12/2010 : 20:34:33
I have not bathed a corn snake before, however, I have with bearded dragons. The best way to do it is to let them heat up first, sit them on a protected heat mat, or allow them time to warm up under a heat bulb if that is how you warm your reptile, and then place them into water of room temperature (around 24C maybe best?) and then what we did with the beardies is let them swim until they poo, so long as it does not exceed maybe 20-25mins. To be honest, it REALLY didn't take that long (perhaps only 5mins for one, and just over 10 for the other two) but you could clearly see they felt a lot better - really relaxed and comfortable, sat still for a long time just having their heads stroked. If you can feel that Patrick has a blockage, perhaps the best plan may be to let him wriggle around in the water for 10mins, get him out, dry him off, and if you can still feel the blockage, in the warmed state give the area a gentle massage. Might help loosen whatever it is that is causing the blockage, whether it be hair from his prey, or substrate from being viv-fed prior to your having him, blood clots as you've stated have been found before, or just poo that is generally too stiff to pass naturally. I would then put him back for maybe 15mins in more warm water, perhaps topping up what you had already in the bath with some more warm water, and see if he poos! If not, put him back and repeat in a day or so, and just hope that whatever is blocking him up passes eventually.

I dunno if someone else will have a better idea for you, but this seemed to work with constipated beardies, and they eat a lot that can get blocked up in their pipes! Being as you are not entirely sure on what Patrick was fed, or how he was treated before you got him, there could be all sorts that could be causing his problem. All I can say is massage gently but firmly, and in a down-the-body sweep, from just above to just below and hope he doesn't deposit on you! Also, have some strong cleaner ready to scrub that bath!!!

I hope all goes well for you, you are doing a sterling job with him!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000