The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 bad shed-cohabitating

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1982ltrav Posted - 26/11/2010 : 22:38:29
noodles 2 weeks ago was moved up from a exo terra glass viv to a 3ft viv, he's had 4 or 5 perfect sheds since we've had him. he's around 26"long (9months old approx). his first shed in his new viv took place this morning and was not a clean one. i noticed it was broken towards the tail, checked him out and he still had unshed skin. we soaked his tail in luke warm water an gently peeled the unshed skin off him with not too much discomfort.hope we did the right thing. anyway the mrs and young lad arrived home as i was doing this just in time to help me out. bearing in mind today is my b'day my presents and cards were put to one side as they helped remove the bad shed. once this was done i opened my present, you guessed it a 2.5ft hypo blood red and he's gorgeous. problem is we only have the one viv. i regulary read posts on this forum an know what you guys think to co-habitating. the mrs has been on the phone and into the pet shop on numourous occasions this week and the owner (who i think is very professional an knows his stuff) has said he has never ever heard of there being problems unless they are either completely diffrent in size or one of them being a king or previously housed with the opposite sex. anyway they've been cuddled up for the last few hours like long lost brothers with no problems at all. in fact noodles the smaller of the 2 is by far the more confident an using the blood red as a pillow. opinions please!!!!!!
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
1982ltrav Posted - 01/12/2010 : 14:59:50
Mort13 Posted - 27/11/2010 : 09:16:14
Personally I've never cohabited and never will,but thats my choice. I just think it would make everything more difficult. Who's poo'd,what if theres a regurge and you don't know which ones done it or one becomes ill and passes it on to the other. I just wouldn't be happy doing it,I'm a stresshead though.
Like I say though,its a personal thing and if you feel happy with it and have the means to seperate them then thats up to you. They are beautiful snakes

On the topic of all species of animal having dominant individuals though,you really can't apply that to snake keeping. If you have two dogs for example and ones dominant to the other thats normal as they are a pack animal and therefore have dominant and subordinate individuals. They need this structure for the pack to work successfully.
Snakes however are not pack or herd animals,they do not cohabit in the wild so the dominance aspect is a completely different ball game for them. They come together in the wild because they need to for breeding etc and are then happiest going their seperate ways.
Sta~ple Posted - 27/11/2010 : 09:06:42
quote:
Originally posted by 1982ltrav

i agree if they even looked at each other in the wrong way they

Lol. sorry I imagined snakes with different facial expressions then XD I'd love to see a snake do a happy smile :D

Anyway all snakes have a bad shed at some point or another. So it might just have been one of those times. Anyway You don't need anyone else's opionions on co-habiting, you've readf the thread I'm sure. I just wouldn't do it if your unsure of sex or if they are opposite sex's since they will breed at any time of the year but that's just me.

Nice looking snakes btw.
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/11/2010 : 09:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

They look so cute all cuddled up together.

wheres the head-in-hands smiley? they are not 'cuddling' they are not 'friends' they are not 'keeping each other company'. They are sharing the best spot in the limited space available to them, and if one of those animals is dominant over the other then the weaker one would not be getting the optimum conditions therefore affecting its health and mentality. If it was out in the big wide world they would be in seperate places.

This this this. I think most people on here know my stance on co-habiting, so I'm not going to say much.

However- have you heard of the need to quarantine new arrivals? That new snake might have all sorts of nasties lurking within/on it, and it's just been plonked straight in with poor Noodle.

Side note!! Last night I discovered that Sarabi had somehow managed to get past the partition in the viv and was in with Aurora (both female, both the same year.) Both snakes were incredibly stressed, and when I went in to get Sarabi, she bit me and went for the other snake. I dread to think what could have happened had I not noticed. Aurora was also in blue (because snakes are convenient enough to shed at the same time you know!) so her vision was impaired, adding to her stress.

Aurora has been taken out and placed in a RUB in the rack for now- this is why it is useful to have a spare set-up handy at all times, which you don't have. When I work out how the hell Sarabi got through and the partition is secure I will put her back, but until then it just isn't worth the risk.
1982ltrav Posted - 27/11/2010 : 08:48:20
1982ltrav Posted - 27/11/2010 : 08:40:45
http:
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:50:06
Technically no they are not cuddling its just an easy way to describe how they look in lay terms. You're right they are sharing the best spot. Weaker one is a bit extreme, its not weaker, you feed them individually and in accordance to their needs. In regards to heat, snakes touching each other in a 'huddle' will be very close to the same temperature and be better able to retain that heat at the core of the 'huddle'. Its not if one is dominant either, one of them will be dominant, this doesn't make it a bully or aggressive to the other snake, that not how dominance works.
eeji Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:21:26
quote:

wheres the head-in-hands smiley? they are not 'cuddling' they are not 'friends' they are not 'keeping each other company'. They are sharing the best spot in the limited space available to them, and if one of those animals is dominant over the other then the weaker one would not be getting the optimum conditions therefore affecting its health and mentality. If it was out in the big wide world they would be in seperate places.
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:13:58
1982ltrav Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:11:04
i agree if they even looked at each other in the wrong way they would be seperated straight away.there fine as i said cuddled up and knowing my snake looks happy to have a companion. yes left months on end with no food the bigger would probably eat the smaller but as i said earlier (only in extreme circumstances) would you eat your mate on a desert island if it was life or death. i would its the way nature works....
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:03:57
If it was a guarantee that 2 snakes together would be bouncing off the walls fighting I wouldn't even consider it. From what I know its so incredibly rare. As Kehllyr says though it is a possibility that it might come to needing to separate them and you do need to have a backup plan.
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/11/2010 : 01:02:29
Try using imageshack for now, you can upload from main page without registering if it's easier.
http://imageshack.us/
1982ltrav Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:59:49
havent got a clue went on to photo bucket but only options was facebook twitter etc please elaborate.
gmac Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:55:51
quote:

There are dominant animals in all species, its just nature. They may even fight it out but its a strength test rather than a death match and this is only usually in evenly matched animals as usually one will submit before it ever comes to blows.

again seems to me another reason not to, stressed snakes is not a good thing, so why subject them to a possible fight where it is completely unnecessary.

lotabob Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:51:01
SNAP
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:50:27
Stickies stay at the top of forum topics, they are in effect stuck up at the top.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
Thats the phot posting one
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:49:43
quote:
Originally posted by 1982ltrav

not wanting to sound stupid but computers isnt really my thing and whats the sticky bit. is that where i spilt coffee earlier lol. help please

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
lotabob Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:48:26
There are dominant animals in all species, its just nature. They may even fight it out but its a strength test rather than a death match and this is only usually in evenly matched animals as usually one will submit before it ever comes to blows.
1982ltrav Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:47:45
not wanting to sound stupid but computers isnt really my thing and whats the sticky bit. is that where i spilt coffee earlier lol. help please
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/11/2010 : 00:47:00
In regards the co-habiting, some people do it successfully, others don't.
Most issues surrounding co-habiting is usually with hatchling/yearlings or with snakes that are of different sexes at a fairly young age and size.
If you want to co-habit it's up to you, I used to but still have never recommended it as any costs for vet treatments are doubled due to not knowing which one may have medical issues.
All I can advise is that you get a rub of some kind ready just in case, alway be prepared for any eventuallity.
You can split them with neglible costs, as 2 mats the same size can share the same stat, so technically all you'd need is another viv.

/ninja edit
quote:

Check out the sticky on the top of the photos bit. You need a photobucket account but its dead easy to set up and easy enough once you get the hang of it. One tip, when you think you've added a photo,preview your post as I got it wrong a couple of times and had to edit it.

Completely that, however the sticky for photo uploading is a bit out of date since photobucket went and changed to the pants version they have now, but it still gives enough info to work out how to do it now photobucket has changed.
The sticky will change soon as well.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000