The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Water

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Invalid User Posted - 24/11/2010 : 12:43:22
Hi everyone.

Counting down the days now till I bring home Nimbus (think that's gonna be his name according to daughter *sigh*)

I keep getting questions pop into my head so thought I would ask you lot

Do you all give your snakes tap water?

I did read somewhere that if your not sure of the quality of your water you should use bottled or cooled boiled tap water.

Our water is a bit naff, quite scummy (not sure if that means it's hard or soft) but I am thinking of doing the cooled boiled water method and I just wondered if any of you do this or is there really no need in?

Thanks.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lrv2307 Posted - 11/12/2010 : 12:43:45
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

Hard water helps to prevent heart disease so be grateful! And as for sitting it, it will become a bit poo, cause water need to be flowing to stay fresh, and "degassing" for chlorine, chlorine in the amounts it is in water, it is just so minimal, if there were high levels in tap water we would be dead! :D Chlorine is extremely dangerous as a gas, which when boiled would leave the water, hence killing anyone owning a kettle, and it would also evaporate out of the water naturally. I dont think water can do much harm, BUT if you are concerned I recommend boiling, standing shouldnt make much difference and as lotabob said it will certainly increase bacteria. :) I hope this helps you.

just as an add to this, after working for thames water for a few years
tap water does actually only have a shelf life (if standing in a bottle in the fridge) of 3 days
better off just giving fresh tap water, thats been run through to get rid of the stagnant bit out the pipes

Tiffany-x

Invalid User Posted - 25/11/2010 : 17:15:10
Looks like I have started a good thread here! I think seeing as most of you give your snakes water straight from the tap, with no ill effects, then I will do that.

Cant be bothered with boiling and standing it if there is no point :o)
lotabob Posted - 25/11/2010 : 17:03:59
Tap water is 100% safe, any faffing about with filters, boiling, distilling, and standing is a waste of your time. The effects of all of those will have such a small effect on the waters composition its not worth even bothering. And I can assure you bacteria can grow even in the dark, blacking out a bottle may arrest algae growth but so will changing the water every day. When they say give your snake fresh water every day they mean FRESH, UK water doesn't need fiddled with.
lee2308 Posted - 25/11/2010 : 17:03:37
another tip...dont use di ironised/distilled water as these will oull nutriants and minerals from the snake
MacSpud Posted - 25/11/2010 : 16:45:47
I used to give mine filtered water but now give fresh tap water every day and he's doing fine.
If you were desperate to remove the chlorine by using an activated charcoal filter (eg Brita) then bear in mind you'd be removing other minerals etc in the water. Also buy the Argos value filters as they're the same as the Britas and a lot cheaper.
lee2308 Posted - 25/11/2010 : 16:29:32
straight from the tap for me
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

:D Chlorine is extremely dangerous as a gas, which when boiled would leave the water, hence killing anyone owning a kettle, and it would also evaporate out of the water naturally. I dont think water can do much harm, BUT if you are concerned I recommend boiling, standing shouldnt make much difference and as lotabob said it will certainly increase bacteria. Tiffany-x

chlorine is minamal and boiling will not remove all of it,the best way is to let it stand and evapourate,and im pretty sure people dont mean letting it stand until its green,just 24hrs will do and if you want to keep it for a more than a day just keep it in a blacked out bottle and that will slow down bacteria growing.
simonw Posted - 25/11/2010 : 15:07:10
My snakes get Perrier.

Just kidding :P

Tap water. Filtering and boiling removes some of the good minerals in water.
Mort13 Posted - 25/11/2010 : 09:28:05
Mine have their water straight from the tap too as do my other pets,my kids and myself. Its not killed any of us yet!!
mikeyd_26 Posted - 24/11/2010 : 22:44:37
mine used to get bottled - now get fresh tap straight in the bowl! doesnt hurt me or the dogs so why not lol!!! :)
eeji Posted - 24/11/2010 : 21:22:17
mine get water from the tap stright into their bowls
Invalid User Posted - 24/11/2010 : 18:45:10
Oooh, ok then. I think to be safe maybe I will go with the cool boiled water then as planned.

All replies apriciated (sp?)

Thanks
Tiffany-x Posted - 24/11/2010 : 17:04:03
Hard water helps to prevent heart disease so be grateful! And as for sitting it, it will become a bit poo, cause water need to be flowing to stay fresh, and "degassing" for chlorine, chlorine in the amounts it is in water, it is just so minimal, if there were high levels in tap water we would be dead! :D Chlorine is extremely dangerous as a gas, which when boiled would leave the water, hence killing anyone owning a kettle, and it would also evaporate out of the water naturally. I dont think water can do much harm, BUT if you are concerned I recommend boiling, standing shouldnt make much difference and as lotabob said it will certainly increase bacteria. :) I hope this helps you.
Tiffany-x
lotabob Posted - 24/11/2010 : 16:55:51
I can assure you degassing water is a far more complicated process than sitting it out. Firstly the main gas within water is oxygen, it can make bubbles but I'm pretty sure has no health implications for any animal. Secondly sitting water out will increase the bacteria levels and leave it long enough eventually the water will stagnate. Water whether hard or soft has no bearing on whether its drinkable, as long as its CLEAN and FRESH be it tap or bottled is fine, sitting it out defeats the object of giving fresh water everyday if the water you give isn't fresh.
hiper2009 Posted - 24/11/2010 : 16:47:58
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Ooo, I never knew that!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will use tap water and let it stand first :)

No worrys
Invalid User Posted - 24/11/2010 : 15:50:14
Ooo, I never knew that!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will use tap water and let it stand first :)
hiper2009 Posted - 24/11/2010 : 15:19:00
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

What benefit does letting water sit have on the water?

Wondering the same thing

It can degas chlorine if it sits long enough it is a good idea to let water sit anyway, especially in the winter. There is a lot of gas dissolved in cold water, and it's better to let it escape
Invalid User Posted - 24/11/2010 : 15:10:08
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Wondering the same thing

drchino Posted - 24/11/2010 : 15:07:35
My reps are spoiled; I use mineral water for them both! I just pick up a 99p 2 litre bottle of water every week or two and keep it in the fridge. Prob a bit overboard cos the water in my area is fine, although I actually find it nicer to drink than the mineral water!
herriotfan Posted - 24/11/2010 : 15:06:06
Mine get tap water.
lotabob Posted - 24/11/2010 : 14:47:06

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000