The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 glass for viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hayleyb93 Posted - 13/11/2010 : 10:32:47
hey does anyone know where i can order glass for a 4ft viv im building for my snake. will need two sheets slightly over 2ft for an overlap. ive tried ebay but i dont even really know what to type in, any help would be very much appreciated, im from n.ireland so if anyone even knows any shops over here that can do it please let me know :]
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hayleyb93 Posted - 14/11/2010 : 09:32:45
haha thanks :] well i found a place in my town that does glass which was unexpected, the runners i have are 4mm but im definitely going to see about getting toughened glass as my little cousins are always up trying to see the snake and open the tank.
elament Posted - 13/11/2010 : 13:16:59
BTW love the name Sir Loin gave me a good chuckle that did
elament Posted - 13/11/2010 : 11:26:13
Thats a good point Andy. 4mm toughened is obviously better than 6mm standard. I have a little boy who is autistic so I too am a bit paranoid meself lol welcome to the club!
andys Posted - 13/11/2010 : 11:23:06
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Its beneficial if you can fit 6mm clear float as its obviously stronger and takes accidental impacts better.
Good luck!

This is why I went for toughened, means that in the unlikely event of a mishap, I'd end up with relatively harmless cubes of glass instead of a pile of vicious shards. Probably paranoid, but one you decide you are worried about something it's sometimes hard to ignore it !
elament Posted - 13/11/2010 : 11:19:02
If you have no luck with glass merchants try double glazing places like anglia or everest they will usually sell you glass but they do stick a mark up on it so it does work out a little dearer but not by much. I priced up the glass for two 4 foot 6 vivs and it came to something like £25 for all the panels including vat and polishing. You must remember to get the edges polished as its quite sharp without it and as a final tip i would measure the runners you have to see if they will take 4mm or 6mm clear float. Some do some dont. Its beneficial if you can fit 6mm clear float as its obviously stronger and takes accidental impacts better.
Good luck!
andys Posted - 13/11/2010 : 11:17:57
I used these folks (they sell splashbacks, shelves, etc)

http://www.splashbacks-online.co.uk/

Essentially just purchased 2 toughened glas shelves that would overlap according the width of the viv, then (because i am building the viv myself) I simply sized the wood above and below the glass according to the glass I could get - works a treat!
hayleyb93 Posted - 13/11/2010 : 11:02:53
thanks a lot, ill try looking there now, would like to get the new tank sorted before the new year as ive been building it for ages now in my spare time, ill try there now though thanks :]
elament Posted - 13/11/2010 : 10:57:11
When I priced up glass for a viv i was going to build i went onto yell.com and looked up glass merchants. Usually people like anglia windows will sell you glass. You need to ask for either 6 or 4mm clear float glass with polished edges.
Hope that helps

Cheers

Steve

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000