The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Morpheus Posted - 09/11/2010 : 15:25:59
I have just read with interest the subject on various substates and have a question to ask:

It recommends sheets of kitchen roll/towel for young snakes which I am currently using, but is there any harm in using Aspen?

Thanks in advance!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bigal Posted - 10/11/2010 : 16:30:56
Just thought I would let people know was at my local pet store where they sell all sorts of stuff for larger animals. Asked about the Aspen like stuff for horses mentioned here. Could not remember the name but he showed me a number of bails all looking similar to aspen. Some were not labled so I don't know what was in them but they also had a product called easibed that looked quite good. I contacted the company and they told me it contains a lot of pine so would be a non no fors snakes. Going to write down the name of the other stuff and ask if they can get that tommorrow. Just a warning that not all that looks like aspen is aspen.
dannyhayman Posted - 10/11/2010 : 15:08:55
gut impaction-sounds nasty >_<
drchino Posted - 10/11/2010 : 12:36:32
What everyone else said! I always see people with hatchies in aspen. As staple said, kitchen roll would help you check up on poop but I think they'd appreciate aspen more!
eeji Posted - 09/11/2010 : 20:41:37
the only issue using aspen with small snakes is if you feed inside the viv and the chances of substrate being eaten with the food and causing gut impaction
gingerpony Posted - 09/11/2010 : 18:49:46
no, no harm in using aspen for hatchies
Sta~ple Posted - 09/11/2010 : 15:59:59
With babies, its easier to see poop on kitchen roll than in aspen or anything else. Even if you dig about for poops with aspen you can sometimes miss them but there's no harm in using it. I would just say if you do, don't use a lot or the poo kinda gets buried. Mine are 8 months old and I use like a wood bedding and I still miss a few poops that I only see when I do whole whole substrate change.
boogles Posted - 09/11/2010 : 15:44:08
i use aspen as we have laods of it already. it gives them mroe to hide under and make tunnels. Mine love it!
dannyhayman Posted - 09/11/2010 : 15:40:45
ive heard theres no problem with aspen from the shop i bought the snake-but the woman didnt prefer it as its realld dusty :)

i use kitchen roll as i has a hatchling crimson corn snake :P

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000