The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 how often should ye handle a baby corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dannyhayman Posted - 08/11/2010 : 14:10:24
just wondering how often would you usually handle a baby corn snake because most of the care sheets i have read dont specify :( ALSo just about everyonewho comes to my house wants to have a hold and i fear this will not be good for the snake :O

***moved from Intros to General by GP***
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dannyhayman Posted - 10/11/2010 : 08:24:39
XD indeed lolz XD school blocks most forums >_<
Katie.Dublin Posted - 09/11/2010 : 21:32:55
quote:
Originally posted by dannyhayman

and i love the name falcor!! and LOKI !! the pics dont work at school so i cannut see em :(

Corn snake forum at school! Man after my own heart lol
Mort13 Posted - 09/11/2010 : 21:13:52
Thankyou
It can be hard to find but my mobile phone has got a fab led light on it which I use if its not in an obvious place. The only time I couldn't find one while searching was when I later got poo'd on which explains why I couldn't find it!
dannyhayman Posted - 09/11/2010 : 12:37:45
i think i will buy some aspen or beech chips :) the poo is got white bits in it lol XD so ill hopefully find it :) its just im sure hes depressed im a tunnel made of something designed to wipe a mans bum :(
and i love the name falcor!! and LOKI !! the pics dont work at school so i cannut see em :(
eeji Posted - 09/11/2010 : 11:48:57
mine never get handled (hatchies and adults) except for the odd time, and for moving to another tub for clean outs.
Mort13 Posted - 09/11/2010 : 10:48:40
I have my babies on aspen. Started off with kitchen roll,but like you I though it would be more natural for them if they could bury themselves. Its brill watching them make little tunnels. The only thing you have to be aware of is it may be harder to find him and their poos are harder to find (although I've always found them) As long as you feed him in a seperate tub you'll be fine :-)
Loki is the shy retiring one and I have to grab him. Where as Falcor is the bold ckeeky one that comes up to me even though I've only has him 1 and a half weeks!
tehbunneh Posted - 09/11/2010 : 10:27:06
I find with Ripley, he'll poke his head out of his teepee. Boa roves all around his RUB. Widget... never asks, lol, but enjoys it once he is out!!
dannyhayman Posted - 09/11/2010 : 08:32:52
thankyou everyone :) i think that charlie is OK with being handled everyday-im not sure how to tell-he likes to move alot :)
and as for dropping the poor bugger-hasnt happened yet (crossed fingers) :)
i decided now that he is fed every saturday and it has worked for the past 2 weeks and im looking forward to seeing the little hatchling moult :) i was wondering if you can putlike-wood chips in the tank instead of loo roll-when they are a baby because it looks nicer and i think it'd be nice if he could bury himself and keep himself to himself-it was weird yesterday because all the time i was in my room he was just watching me XD
OH how can you tell ifyour snake ants to come out-is it when it starts looking for a way out :)
and THANkyou everyone for helping me with my snake-related queries ^.^
Katie.Dublin Posted - 09/11/2010 : 01:12:48
regarding dropping them, it's obviously not advisable!! However, my female used to be awful at climbing. she fell off the back of the sofa once onto the wood (yes i am aware that makes me sound very neglectful!) - she was perfectly fine though..

Stil.. prolly better off not letting them fall!
lotabob Posted - 08/11/2010 : 23:52:38
As to dropping them, simply DONT. Do your best to make sure that their distance to a surface is not raised too high. I have dropped my snake once but he fell about 4 inches onto my sofa and was totally fine. As hatchlings aren't very heavy they wont do too much damage if you drop them as long as its not from a great height but as they get bigger and there is more heft in them they can seriously/fatally injure themself if they fall too far, cracked ribs, internal damage etc. They dont have any way to break their fall like every other animal so its far better you dont put them in a situation where they can fall.
tehbunneh Posted - 08/11/2010 : 21:54:09
I handle my guys most days, bar the 48hr post-feed period ^^ Ripley likes it, and will sit in my lap, or wrapped around my fingers watching the fish or TV with us (well, he's probably just enjoying the warms, but you can never tell with those beady unblinking eyes what he may be looking at, lol!) As for Widget and Boa, my newbies, they are handled most days. Widget I'm more apprehensive with, simply because if cold, or been curled up for a long time, the little fella seems a bit apprehensive himself, due to his kinks, I believe, which sometimes seem like they are a little stiff. Once being handled, though, he too, and little Boa, are very calm and sedate and seem to like to curl up in my warm hands, or explore the sofa, or try frantically to get to Sam, my boyfriend, who is like a radiator XDD He's one biiiiig heating mat to them, and they like to sit on his shoulder.
gmac Posted - 08/11/2010 : 21:47:57
We handle our hatchies every other day, also if we know people are coming round we wouldnt handle them until then so they are not in and out. Really dont see any problems handling everyday though.
Red123 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 21:44:20
My adults are handled once a week and the 2 babies are handled daily monday through to thursday I feed on friday and they get the weekend to digest.
Mort13 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 18:10:54
Hi,I too handle my snakes every day apart from the times you're not supposed to of course.My newest has had his first handling session today for 5 minutes. If Charlie seems ok with being handled every day then you should be fine.
Heh,heh they can shift when they want to can't they! I don't know what would happen if you dropped one,I've been lucky enough to not have had that experience!!
dannyhayman Posted - 08/11/2010 : 17:45:45
and cecil sydney and jenny are just precious ^.^
dannyhayman Posted - 08/11/2010 : 17:44:29
well ive had my snake almost 2 weeks now and ive been handling him for a week,:) i dont like giving him to other people but well-hey seen to know their shiz,i get really concernedabout that little burst of speed they do now and then u see :( (btw what happens if you drop them-i havent but i fear i might) AND OMG thats so adorable -"Sidney, will snuggle up inside my top and nod off"
i personally handle charlie-the snake-every day coz i love handling him XD
herriotfan Posted - 08/11/2010 : 16:50:07
I handle my snakes every day apart from the 48 hours after a feed. When I'm getting them used to being handled I tend to go with a couple of 5 minutes sessions a day. I gradually build the time up as they become more used to it. My oldest snake, Sidney, will snuggle up inside my top and nod off, bless him!! I'm lucky my snakes all seem to be happy to be handled.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 08/11/2010 : 16:06:34
hi and welcome :) how long have you had the babba? its best to leave them alone for 1-2 weeks with no handling when you first bring ithome to let them settle in.
with regards to handling them, i handle mine about 1-2 times a week for about 5-10 minutes, its down to personal preferance really, i personally wouldnt have mine out every single day incase i stressed it.
As for others handling, im not 100%, i personally wont give any of my snakes to anyone that i dont trust, and hatchies are very fast and slip thru ur fingers very easily!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000