The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat mats vs Heat Lamps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lucyloop Posted - 08/11/2010 : 07:05:12
I am hoping to move my snake from his faun to his viv this week. I obviously use a heat mat at the moment but wanted opinions on which method of heat is better for the viv. Clearly I am aware that the heat mat will have to go in the viv to be effective and am a little wary of this. Should I get a lamp and cage? I just wondered what experience you guys had of both methods?
Thanks

Lucy
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 09/11/2010 : 22:18:37
As far as I know snakes can see all light, red is just less invasive than white/natural light so the snakes are less bothered by it.

I've switched from bulb to mat and I do miss the bulb but Spot seems to prefer it as he is far more active in the early afternoon. The differences I have noticed is a 10% increase in humidity though it holds the same reading all day where as heating by bulb the humidity dropped during the day (light on) and raised at night (light off) and when you open the door you dont get that woosh of hot air like opening an oven.
eeji Posted - 09/11/2010 : 22:07:02
quote:
Originally posted by heatseeker872591

i was advised from a well known reptile shop in my area that mats are no good for adult corns wether they are thermostatically controlled or not, the weight of the snake when it coils up on the mat in the end can give the snake "wet" burns and advised me to go heat bulb full time controlled by a dimmer, i switched to bulbs from then on and wudnt go back to mats ever now the viv was always dark aswell when i wasnt using a heat bulb, in the would the heat from the sun comes from up above not from below , im sure others will argue different

...but because corns are crepuscular they aren't usually out in the sun. They will be hiding away until the sun is low when they get the heat from the ground where the sun has warmed it.
If a mat is properly statted then burns won't happen
Sta~ple Posted - 09/11/2010 : 21:55:15
I have (lamp to mat)

The lamps were those red colour ones, I used bulbs for like 8 years. Anyway they buzzed, probably the wrong watt bulb in the wrong watt holder but it was a case of get what you can get at petshop so not really the bulbs fault. Or it was just how the bulb was fitted and because of the pulled cabled (by snake), bad electricity maybe. They light annoyed me at night if I didn't cover the snakes up as they were in my room. I found the cold end of the viv to be hotter while using a bulb and the air seemed a bit more humid? Or at least heavy. I also found my snakes liked to swing and pull on the light's cable which made it stretch. I changed because I got a new viv stack, putting in a heat-mat was less hassle than bulbs. Also I can't really stock up on bulbs in my house as if a bulb pops, they will be used there (rents have crazy, crazy lights everywhere in the house :p) plus at at least £5 a bulb from the petshop that needs replacing every 2/3 years, plus the electricity needed/used it was cheaper with mats.

If my snakes weren't in my room and if I didn't have bulb pinching rents, I might have gone the extra effort of bulbs so I can see them better at night. I'd just make sure I'd get someone who knows what they are doing to fit it for me.

I have found that with the old bulb set-up I had at night, my snakes were more active, does anyone know for sure if they can't see red light?
Kehhlyr Posted - 09/11/2010 : 21:15:22
But also a topic with no real right or wrong answer either.
Lamps or mats have been questions raised by many in the past and no doubt will again in the future, it's always an interesting one.

Out of curiosity I'd like to know if anyone has gone from lamps to mats (or vice versa) and the reasons why.
It'd be interesting to know why and to have that info on this thread.

Obviously with some snakes it'd be fairly obvious why going from mats to lamps, large bodied snakes are better off with lamps.
lucyloop Posted - 09/11/2010 : 21:05:26
Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions! I knew there would be a good response and there has been - clearly a topic which divides opinions.
Lucy
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/11/2010 : 21:46:18
Small thread on here about the same subject. http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=859
Might also bring up some more info/questions etc for people that may not have been thought of.
lotabob Posted - 08/11/2010 : 21:05:21
I actually have both a mat and a light, and watching my snakes behaviour with showed he preferred the mat, he didn't like the light and hid until it switched off Now he is active earlier in the afternoon. The only things I have noticed about using the mat is the bulb heated the air and created better air flow so without the humidity is higher (I monitor humudity even though its not essential).

The important bit is to have a stat and thermometer probe directly on the mat to monitor temperature mine is set to 28 degrees centigrade, as was my bulb on a dimming stat.

I would find spot cleaning a nightmare without some sort of light in the vivarium because you have to stand in front of it and that blocks any light, it could be an energy saving bulb that doesn't generate any heat though, it will only be on a few minutes while you check, that or buy a torch.
headlow Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:31:33
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

to be honest its much of a muchness and what people prefer, there is nothing wrong with using mats and nothing wrong with using lights/ceramics makes no odds so long as temps are all good and statted.

Couldn't agree more
gmac Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:28:55
to be honest its much of a muchness and what people prefer, there is nothing wrong with using mats and nothing wrong with using lights/ceramics makes no odds so long as temps are all good and statted.
heatseeker872591 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:23:51
well i just took the advice from the reptile shop keeper, he is an ex zoo keeper aswell so he must know what he is talking about, i just switched to bulbs from the day he told me, its better for me in the long run and for my snakes aswell at least the vivs are not pitch black 24 7 with me LOL
gmac Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:19:50
quote:
Originally posted by heatseeker872591

i was advised from a well known reptile shop in my area that mats are no good for adult corns wether they are thermostatically controlled or not, the weight of the snake when it coils up on the mat in the end can give the snake "wet" burns and advised me to go heat bulb full time controlled by a dimmer, i switched to bulbs from then on and wudnt go back to mats ever now the viv was always dark aswell when i wasnt using a heat bulb, in the would the heat from the sun comes from up above not from below , im sure others will argue different

I have yet to hear of this being caused by corn snakes, large bodied reptiles yes this can be a problem where lights/ ceramics/ ahs should be used, however as mentioned never seen this problem caused by a corn (doesnt mean to say it hasnt happened).
chrish Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:17:53
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

Dial thermometers are a much use as a ejector seat in a helicopter

Lol - Nice analagy!

I agree with gmac, i was using dial thermometers and was worried about temps being too low so i got a digital one and it turned out they were too high!
heatseeker872591 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 20:15:29
gmac Posted - 08/11/2010 : 19:53:27
Dial thermometers are a much use as a ejector seat in a helicopter.. Best to try to get a digital thermometer, these give you accurate readings as the not so accurate reading from the dial.

Dials will give you ambient temperature readings not the temperature on the mat.
JackHutchy979 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 19:50:19
I'm using a dial thermometer right beside it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 19:23:46
quote:
Originally posted by JackHutchy979

At the moment is doesn't really need statted due to it lower than it should be.

Are you measuring this with a digital thermometer with the probe touching the mat?
Mort13 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 18:32:15
I did some rearranging with my heatmat a bit ago and when I plugged it back in it went up to 38! Think it was because it hadn't really cooled between being unplugged and plugged back in again. The thermostat was set to the same temp as hadn't changed the setting on it.
So glad I have the probe and stat to control it as I dread to think what could have happened if I hadn't. To me it really isn't worth risking not having a stat.
My mat is set to about 28 and theres no problems with the wood of the viv getting too hot
JackHutchy979 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 18:23:50
At the moment is doesn't really need statted due to it lower than it should be.
lucyloop Posted - 08/11/2010 : 18:19:02
mine is statted jack, I would be too worried to run it without a stat but I am not sure what the others think, the temp on the hot is about 28/29.
a33272 Posted - 08/11/2010 : 18:17:38
how u measuring that though, a heat mat will get into the upper 30's lower 40's

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000