The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 photoperiod

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andys Posted - 03/11/2010 : 14:06:11
I'm just in the process of upgrading from a faun to a viv (well, the snake - not me!). One thing i'm tinkering with is lighting, then this got me thinking.

The snake is in the living room, so this time of year it's dark by the time a get home, light goes on, probably up until 11 or 12pm.

Anyone got any thoughts on how this might screw with their ideas about whether it's day or night ?

Snake seems fine, quiet during the day, always comes out in the evening. But given my new viv will have lighting in it, it's got me thinking.

(By the way the lights are linked to a light sensor, so depending on how I set it up the viv lights can go on/off with dawn/dusk or I can keep the sensor inside so it follows the room lights).
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
andys Posted - 04/11/2010 : 13:02:23
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, i'll experiment and let you know what I decide on. I guess the snake's behaviour should offer plenty of clues as to how happy it is.
mikerichards Posted - 03/11/2010 : 23:48:44
i wouldnt have thought it would make a huge difference, daylight involves UV from the natural light, which you dont get from lightbulbs, so its more than likely just an annoyance than a problem. if you are worried though, put a towel over the front of the viv, that will cut the light going in.
lucyloop Posted - 03/11/2010 : 21:03:04
I have my faun in the living room too (and am also upgrading to a viv this weekend!) If we are having the light on after its dark out I normally cover the top of the faun with a teatowel until we go to bed, Tiko is more than happy with this and is currently basking in the dark on top of his hide! Normally, we just have a little lamp on and he seems fine.
Mort13 Posted - 03/11/2010 : 18:14:32
Thats ok then,reassuring I do try to have the lights dimmed in the lounge in the evening.....kids get kicked out into the kitchen so they can see to do their homework lol
drchino Posted - 03/11/2010 : 16:21:46
Mine never seems to be bothered about it. My crestie is more concerned about the light at the moment cos hes just moved in :) Luckily my reps are in the computer room so I just keep the light off as much as I can.
gingerpony Posted - 03/11/2010 : 14:41:59
as long as they have a night time they should be ok but could potentially get confused about the time of year/season - thinking it's still summer months

but there are other factors such as ambient temp, humidity and pressure that can influence a snake's seasonal perspective
Mort13 Posted - 03/11/2010 : 14:28:35
I've been wondering the same as mine are in the living room too. They are acting normally,out and about in the evening.
My living room lights are controlled by a dimmer though so I have them on pretty low once the kids have gone bed,from about half 8 in the evening.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000