The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 wont eat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul82 Posted - 29/10/2010 : 20:56:53
Rusty wont eat and its been 9 weeks now, nothing has changed, temps are just right.

Casper is fine no probs.

Getting realy worried now, plz help.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
headlow Posted - 01/03/2011 : 21:30:53
Judging by your last post I'd say he might have naturally brumated himself. We'd a very cold winter, and the ambient temps have been quite cool. Now that the weather has turned there might be a good chance that he'll eat after shedding.
Paul82 Posted - 01/03/2011 : 20:43:17
Its been another 6 weeks now, he still not eaten a thing since 23rd September 2010, his waight not hardly dropped.
The only thing thats new is he has gone into shed, witch he not done since before he stopped eating.

When he has shed im hoping he will start eating.

He dont come out of him hide much any more and not that active when i get him out.

Any thorts to his problem ??????????????????????

Casper is fine, he loves coming out his viv and feeds well, when i first got him he was under waight and had scratches on him from a cat where he was recued from, u cant realy see them now, he was very jumpy and skitish, now a very differnt story, ive worked hard to get him to where he is now and very happy.
Invalid User Posted - 04/01/2011 : 15:48:38
quote:
Originally posted by Benji54

doesnt work on people either. my mate wouldnt eat his xmas dinner. i kept tapping his face with a turkey drumstick for hours but nothing came of it...weird eh?

OMG that made me laugh so much pmsl
Paul82 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 15:10:15
if that is whats wrong, just wants a girlfreind, would there be any other signs to look out for ?
and how long doze it norm last for ?

:}
herriotfan Posted - 04/01/2011 : 15:03:02
Aww, bless him. Sounds like he wants a girlfriend! All you can do is just offer him a meal every 2 weeks or so and hope his urges soon go away.....
lotabob Posted - 04/01/2011 : 14:35:45
Braining, its not for the squeemish but often snake related procedures aren't. Get a c.o.c.k.tail stick or sharp small bladed knife and stab the mouse through the top of the head, stir it about a bit and wipe off any of the mushy stuff (try scoop a bit out) thats comes out onto the top of the mouse's head. I haven't ever needed to try it but have seen it done and it worked and the snake was 1 month off food.
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 14:29:33
He is a mature adult male, with, most likely, nothing but sex on his mind. Loads of corns stop eating at this time of year.

I'd offer every 2 weeks to save on wastage- he will eat when he is ready.
Benji54 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 13:55:44
well as long as he still seems healthy theres not a lot can be done i guess. just keep offering, as others have said. not heard of tapping as an actual feeding method before. when i put my bigger corn into a box to feed him i occasionally have to tap him on the body because he forgets the food and buggers off otherwise. i dont tap him WITH the food tho?! just remind him lol! you can tell he's hungry (he always eats afterwards, he just forgets sometimes! i think he's a bit simple lol)

doesnt work on people either. my mate wouldnt eat his xmas dinner. i kept tapping his face with a turkey drumstick for hours but nothing came of it...weird eh?

good luck mate and if his weight is fine, im sure he is ok. snakes can go a loooong time without food and incur no serious health penalties.
Paul82 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 12:22:44
i dont tap him wiv food and never will, ill keep trying every week, his wight has not dropped hardly.
Red123 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 09:03:47
Have to agree tapping not a good idea. When I first got Patrick I tried to get him to eat by letting the rat just touch his nose (not tapping his nose) and he just got really upset and started hissing and striking past the rat towards me. OP I know it can be worrying Sid went 3 months last year without eating and Patrick still only eats every 5-6 weeks but I still worry about it. Its easy to get into the habit of thinking that they shouldfeed every week after all most other pets eat every day! In the wild some snakes will go months without eating and I think we just have to try and educate ourselves into the understanding that the pet snake may go for months without taking food. As long as your snake seems ok, his normal self, in all other ways I would just wait a little longer. Have you weighed him at all? regular weigh ins for him will be a good idea as to whether his fasting is causing any health issues.
Invalid User Posted - 04/01/2011 : 08:24:22
quote:
Originally posted by stotty01

have you tried...braining? putting on a tub alone with food? leaving in tank over night? tapping him with the food?

How would tapping him with food help?

When I feed Nimbus, if I wiggle the food and it slightly bumps him it freaks him out.
Paul82 Posted - 04/01/2011 : 00:41:37
its been another 2 months now and rusty still not enten a thing, he still pritty norm otherwise.

dont kno what to do now other than the vets but that will be exspensive, specily if its somthing silly.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
elament Posted - 30/10/2010 : 13:56:06
When u say active does it look like he always trying to find ways to escape the viv?
If so id say he has gone hormonal early. Its about that time of year when light levels get lower that males (and some females as i understand) go off their food for a number of months as they only have one thing on their minds....breeding. If nothing else is amiss ie he is drinking and so on then my money would be on time of year um afraid. All you can do is keep offering food on the regular day and keep chucking mice in the bin until he decides to eat on his own. By the way when you say "he" have you had that confirmed at all?

cheers

steve
Paul82 Posted - 30/10/2010 : 11:59:50
He is just over 4 years old

temps are 29 warm end and 20 cool end, i use a heat mat and on off stat and digi therm.
hes in a 3f by 2f by 1.5f viv 2 hides at each end.

i havent changed anything no new smells, plenty of folige and vines.

so as u can tell im very puzzaled to y he wont eat.

ive tryed braing and putting him in feeding rub with food for the night, but nothing works.

the only thing i have noticed is he is active every 2nd day were he use to be active every night.

gingerpony Posted - 30/10/2010 : 09:58:31
also, how old is the snake? are we talking about a hatchie or an adult?
SexyBear77 Posted - 30/10/2010 : 08:42:55
Bit more info needed-

What exactly are your temps? How are they monitored?
Housing arrangements?
What methods have you tried?

Please DON'T try tapping him with the food, this can be very stressful and put a snake off feeding even more.
stotty01 Posted - 29/10/2010 : 21:03:11
have you tried...braining? putting on a tub alone with food? leaving in tank over night? tapping him with the food?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000