The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 This is ridiculous but...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lucyloop Posted - 27/10/2010 : 20:18:16
Tiko has been with us nearly a week so he is going to have his first feed on Fri/Sat. As he has been on a no touch basis all week I am really nervous about handling him for the 1st time - not because I am scared but because I am worried he...
a. will hate me
b. is unhappy
c. wont eat his meal
d. is lonely/scared/confused/other

Yes - i know i am being irrational, I work as a volunteer at the safari park so am used to feeding/handling etc but I am humanised Tiko so much this week I may aswell give him a bedroom of his own.

Am I bonkers or does anyone else understand how I feel?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 28/10/2010 : 16:32:11
pics would be good. Dont rush it. Try to enjoy every moment. Its a special relationship person and snake and i am glad the forum is helping you enjoy it.
lucyloop Posted - 28/10/2010 : 12:52:40
Thank you Steve - I think I am going to start a new topic just to say thanks to all the people who have given me advise so far, its been so great because I feel more confident by the day. I cannot wait for this week and weekend to be over so we can start getting to know Tiko properley I will try and get the other half to take some pics when we feed and let you all know how it goes.
elament Posted - 28/10/2010 : 11:11:03
I with KD on this one best to keep handling down to a minumum pop him in a box feed him and then gently put him back. Then leave for 48 hours before you handle him. You will get used to it and so will he. Think about how you intend to feed him as they get into routines and a deviation from that routine can put them off. They all different some like to feed in a box others like my two will happilly feed right in the middle of the livingroom floor on the carpet. Once you find out what works for your snake and get into a routine it will seem less stressful but dont expect that "will he or wont he eat" feeling to go away its always there in the back of your mind lol
With regards to the tweezers i just show mine the mouse make them chase it a little and drop it just before strike. That way i get a strike and constrict every time but timing is essential if you dont wanna get tagged (not that it hurts) so if ur insticts are not sharp best using tweezers or tongs for now. I use me hands as I can usually judge when the strike is going to happen and drop the prey just before.

Hope that helps

cheers

steve

Editted to add: and try not to worry too much if he does refuse to feed first time. Sometimes they do that and you gotta just carry on offering on the usual day. They can go months without feeding (one of mine refused to eat for the first seven months of her life) so try not to worry too much if he decides he aint ready yet.
Mort13 Posted - 28/10/2010 : 09:26:16
Do you know how he was fed before you got him ie. mouse put in box or held with tweezers? Might be worth asking if not and then you won't be stressing about him stressing so much if you think its done in the way its used to.
He'll probably surprise you. I put Loki in a box with a pinkie the first time as thats how he'd been fed at the shop. Sat down at the other end of the room as I didn't want to disturb him.
Could see him moving about and after 30 mins he was still moving so thought he'd not eaten. Decided to check and it had gone.....he must have got it down him in the first 2 mins while I was washing my hands etc!!!

I'm sure he'll do fab,and don't worry about humanising him. How can't you,they are such sweeties
rachiepotatoe Posted - 28/10/2010 : 09:14:04
If it was me i'd hold it up with the tweezers , but my snake wont eat it just being left there.
It usually tempts them to eat but some snakes will just take it wherever it is

I'd jiggle it first slighlty (not alot, wouldnt wanna scare him of his pinky! haha) and if he doesn't take it just leave it for him to take in his own time :)
lucyloop Posted - 28/10/2010 : 08:39:44
ok, thanks guys, will pick up feed put back. For the 1st feed do you think i should just leave the mouse in the box (after warming etc) or jiggle it about (you know what I mean!) with the tweezers?
Inkygirl Posted - 28/10/2010 : 08:03:33
I know im going to be exactly the same when we give Cora her first feed at home, only got her yday and im in a flap lol. Best of luck really hope you go on okay and let us know if you can xx
kdlang Posted - 27/10/2010 : 23:01:03
Ideally you dont want to be handling him too much before a feed as it could stress him out and result in him not feeding or regurging. just pick him up n pop him in his feed box then transfer him back after his feed. I would save the main handling til after the 48 hours.
stotty01 Posted - 27/10/2010 : 22:36:39
i was sooo scared holding medusa in the shop and picking her up at home :/ i just guess you get used to them and know when they dont want to come out or do :)
lucyloop Posted - 27/10/2010 : 22:18:18
Thanks guys, I love this forum, I feel that I have got the best advice here, more so than books etc. I was going to have a little hold for 2/3 mins just to let him calm down then feed him and then leave him for 48hrs. I have a separate box ready for him and the mice are in the freezer. I feel reassured now and am ready to go for it, I think its harder as the week without handling has been very hard and the last few days are making me anxious! Thanks again for your advice and methods, I do really appreciate it.
Lucy
lotabob Posted - 27/10/2010 : 21:34:21
Its only natural to worry, its a great sign you care. He wont hate you, dont think snakes can hate, they go off instinct, they want warmth, hides, food and will judge you on if are you a danger to him, which your not and he will learn that quick enough, he may be jumpy but they soon calm down once they realise your no threat. I've had my snake a month and when exploring Spot will come back to my hand as he now knows its a safe place. Food wise if they are hungry they will eat but they can go months without food if they want to. Try with the calmest route, pick him up and pop him in a seperate box, have the mouse already in there, close the lid and just stand back. Spot always has a good poke at his food before eating, it usually only takes a minute, maybe two for him to get to work though.

They tell us what to do, we just have to go along with their wishes.
rachiepotatoe Posted - 27/10/2010 : 21:18:27
hehe don't worrryyy :)
If he bites you, he bites you, hopefully it wont hurt
He won't hate you! afterall, you're bringing him food!
There's not a big reason he should refuse his meal, but all you can do is keep trying, cross that bridge if you ever come to it
If he's lonely/scared, he will soon war, up to you :)

are you planning on handling him then feeding him? or feeding him, waiting anotyher 48 hours then handling him?
herriotfan Posted - 27/10/2010 : 20:43:52
Awwww, bless you. It shows you care!!
lucyloop Posted - 27/10/2010 : 20:18:56
Should say have humanised, sorry.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000