The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 strange aggressive behaviour

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikeyd_26 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 23:09:00
I decided to feed all 3 snakes 2 nite and fed 2 without any problems in the same rub, but when it came to the last snake who ive had for around 2 weeks (called him marley because he usally very chilled!) he went mental! he was hissing and striking at the slightest movement and before he'd strike he was twitching his head up, is this normal?
also is it possible he behaved like this because he could scent the other snakes who got fed in the same rub? Or maybe defensive over his food? (although he didnt eat)
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 28/10/2010 : 22:10:05
hmmn could be then he got whiff of the other two try what GP says and try feeding him first next time and give the box a good clean. Keep us updated if he gets lairy again.
mikeyd_26 Posted - 28/10/2010 : 17:25:39
@ elament- yeah he only started when he went into the box
he shed just over 3 weeks ago according to records
inkiepixie Posted - 28/10/2010 : 12:31:37
Alice was like this when I fed her last week - I noticed she was blue a couple of days later. I'd say it's likely he's coming into shed/
elament Posted - 28/10/2010 : 12:06:03
I doubt very much if this was a feeding response as the snake didnt eat. Sounds more like defensive behaviour to me as GP pointed out are you sure you didnt miss a blue stage? Do you have shedding records to refer to? This snake was saying go away and leave me alone which could have been due to him picking up the scent of the others in the box but is more likely he just didnt want to be bothered. As lee says id wipe the box inbetween snakes or else consider seperate boxes. Am i right in assuming this behaviour only started when he went in the box or was he warning you off when you went to get him out of the viv?
lee2308 Posted - 27/10/2010 : 22:52:00
i always give my tub a wipe round with disinfectant before putting the next snake in to remove the smell and any risk of any deceases getting passed on if one had something.
lotabob Posted - 27/10/2010 : 21:43:48
Twitching their head, puffing their body, coiling into a S shaped striking pose, shaking the tail, hissing etc are all normal defense displays for snakes. Its not aggressive behaviour though its defensive behaviour, if the snake it particularily feeling vunerable or directly threatened it will put on quite a show. Best to just leave well alone when acting this way, try whatever it was you are wanting to do later. (A frightened snake will never eat, if it was responding to mouse scent he'd have eaten).
mikeyd_26 Posted - 27/10/2010 : 21:22:17
GP - good idea! dont think he's blue tho
he put on quite a show! is the head twitching before he strikes normal?
eeji Posted - 27/10/2010 : 18:11:41
yup, thats normal behaviour. it just means he doesn't want disturbing
gingerpony Posted - 27/10/2010 : 07:09:07
could you have missed him being properly (noticeably) in blue? if he's yet to shed his vision will still be impaired until he has actually shed which can make them a bit skittish.

or he could just be really hungry? lol

feeding the other first will have given him plenty of time to get into feeding mode and be anticipating a mouse, you could try feeding him first next time and see if his response is the same?
mikeyd_26 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 23:16:09
yeah all my snakes get the week hands off! he's been handled around 5 times by me and he's around 4 months old and the breeder i got him off previously handled him! he's mr chilled normally! :)
Scarlett Posted - 26/10/2010 : 23:10:31
You've only had him 2 weeks, and you had fed other snakes previously using the same time so maybe he was just in a bad mood. How often do you handle him? Did you give him the full settle in week to get used to you?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000