The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 first corn snake - feeding problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 26/10/2010 : 13:33:23
hello everyone this is my first post on this forum. I just got this beautiful lady Zara as my first corn snake. Guys at the petshop gave me 20 pinkies and said to feed her 2-3 times in a week. however I ve done some serious research and found out munson plan. orig_nuttah (who is also new on this forum and really close friend of mine) gave me his scale and my lady weights 39g, according to munson plan I should feed her with 7-9g regular fuzzies(every 5-6 days). when i weighted the pinkies 5 of them comes 8g in total.

is it a good idea to give her a pinkie a day till all of them finishes and switch to reg fuzzies?or should I just go and get some fuzzies?

thank you in advance:)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mort13 Posted - 26/10/2010 : 20:14:24
Hi and welcome. You've got some great advice on here. Look forward to pics
n/a Posted - 26/10/2010 : 20:01:26
thankss everyone for you help. i guess i ll feed her next week with a fuzzy thn. and i will put her pictures as soon as possible :)
mikerichards Posted - 26/10/2010 : 14:57:32
As above, every day is really not a good idea. It takes roughly 48 hours for the food to pass through the stomach, so feeding every day would end up with a back log of food, and a poorly snake.
I hate feeding plans, i have never weighed any food, and i intend to never start. Feeding plans do not take into account the individual snake, and as every individual snake is different, these plans never are specifically correct for any animals.
Not only that, but feeding plans worry people who do not know any better, and when their snake is different to the plans ideal.
My advice, stay well away from any feeding plans, they only induce worry and fear.
The general rule i use, if the snake can get the food down without struggling, then its too small, if it takes forever to get the food down, and looks like it will roll around the viv, then its too big.
herriotfan Posted - 26/10/2010 : 14:07:36
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Tiffany-x Posted - 26/10/2010 : 13:47:25
Id just like to add, if you look on the pictures you will find feeding pictures, you will see how the difference between snake and mouse should look hopefully. :)
Tiffany-x
gmac Posted - 26/10/2010 : 13:43:51
Best not to feed every day, every 5-7 is the way forward. If the pinkies are to small the best thing to do would be to go and get some fuzzies.

Personally i dont and have never weighed food for my snakes, too scientific for me . Best to judge the prey size by the size of your snake at its widest, and then i get mice that will leave a bump in the snakes belly but not bigger than 1.5 times the snakes width.

And welcome to the forum
clintham Posted - 26/10/2010 : 13:43:19
sounds to me like fuzzies is the way to go. i personally wouldnt feed any more than 2 pinkies but it sounds like zara is too big for pinkies anyway. if you feed more than two (some say that) your snake will be digesting too much calcium/bone.

also 2-3 times a week is too often. i would suggest once a week.

take into consideration that some people consider the munson plan to be an 'aggressive feeding plan'. its a very rough guide only. use the 1.5 times the snakes girth rule as every snake is different.

i also started off weighing my pinkies but i found it to be pointless. as you pointed out, pinkies dont weigh much and it takes quite a few to get any sort of weight reading! soon gave that up.
Tiffany-x Posted - 26/10/2010 : 13:41:32
I wouldnt go by any guide. Feed the pinkies once weekly, try one see how that goes if it goes down well with little or no sign of the feed then next feed go for 2 pinkies until they are all gone then go onto fuzzies if you think she looks ready. The size of the mouse should be no bigger than 1.5x the width of your snake. I hope this helps. :)
Tiffany-x

Editted to add: You mustnt feed a snake consecutive days because it takes a few days to digest. I dont know how long you have had her but make sure you have given her a week long settling period before any handling or feeding. And do not handle any sooner than 2 days after a feed because this would cause regurge. And dont forget to post pictures asap, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we love to see pictures. xD

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000