The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 21:44:29
hey all, our we corn is approx 2 half too 3 months old just now.. hes feeding fine and takes pinky everytime within seconds off it going into tank.

just wondering if anyone can tell/know when approx he goes up onto the fuzzys? he gets 1 pinky every friday just now.he approx 1ft half length at a guess
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lotabob Posted - 28/10/2010 : 15:13:19
Absolutely, in extreme circumstances I'd do what ever is required for the health of my snake. As normal practice though I would prefer 1 perfectly sized mouse.
elament Posted - 28/10/2010 : 12:36:52
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

The reptile shop I use (City Reptiles, Befast) is able to provide an excellent range of mouse sizes so I have had no need to double feed, my snake is just moving up to fuzzies now and the ones I have are only fractionally bigger than the big pinkies I've been getting. There is no substitute for a good retile shop.

No I agree there as my rep dealer is also ace and not only has a good range of sizes but also delivers them weekly to my house for free. However there are instances where double feeding is a nessesary evil. For instance one of my snakes didnt eat for the first seven months of her life and as a result is very underdeveloped. While she could prob tackle a large fuzz now i got her on two smaller fuzzies as id rather see a big meal go down her than a regurge which she did once as a result of offering too big a food item. I have the same problem with my other snake as he goes hormonal for three months of the year and as a result wont eat as he wont also when he is in shed too so its important that while he does eat i get as much into him as i can and while again he could prob tackle a large two mediums is a way of getting more into him with little effort.
Double feeding does have its benefits although in a perfect world you'd want ur snake to take one perfect sized meal.
lee2308 Posted - 27/10/2010 : 22:48:40
when you can no longer see a bump in the snake its time to move up.
lotabob Posted - 27/10/2010 : 22:08:52
The reptile shop I use (City Reptiles, Befast) is able to provide an excellent range of mouse sizes so I have had no need to double feed, my snake is just moving up to fuzzies now and the ones I have are only fractionally bigger than the big pinkies I've been getting. There is no substitute for a good retile shop.
elament Posted - 27/10/2010 : 11:46:45
its just my personal opinion but i have found the double up method very successfull before a move up in prey size. Its worked for me well and i think it prepares the snake for a bigger meal.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 21:51:31
thanks for the replys, yeah guy in shop had mentioned about the double feed bit, couldnt mind when he said to do that thoe lol.

will need go into the shop here and see the size of a fuzzy etc as never actualy seen one as this the first snake weve had and only ever had the pinkys for him lol
gmac Posted - 25/10/2010 : 21:47:54
the prey should be no greater than 1 and a half times the thickness of your snake, so if the fuzzy fits within this size he can move up.
stotty01 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 21:46:56
i would do double pink at first for a couple of feeds then go on to fuzzies :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000