The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Place to keep snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 03:40:19
ok.. I am a total snake lover :D I know i've left to too late to actually own one but I live with mum and she is total opposite me... she is toooo scared of them. I've finally made up my mind that I will go and get one very soon. (Corn Snake)

This is where the problem starts... mum travels between UK and Cyprus alot so when she's gone, I could keep my snake at home but when she's back... I need another location for it. All I can think of is my shed.

Now, I know temperature is very important for it and Londons weather is poo and cold :/ How can I make it liveable environment for my snake to stay?
Is it possible? :/

Help would be appreciated :)

P.S. I actually think its evil to keep it in shed but I run out of options.. its either no snake or snake in shed :(

***edited for language, OP please taked note.***
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 26/10/2010 : 19:31:34
Not to be funny but why not your bedroom? After all, it is your kinda room of the house and why would she need to go in your bedroom for? Unless you need help cleaning your room or something. Surely she goes in the shed also? Wherever you keep it you would need to tell her as it wouldn't be fair on her if she found the dead mice or snake as she will do sooner or later.

I have seen some fab pics and topics on another forum of shed's that have been converted into special vivarium, but it's normally for big snakes and lizards. For such a small snake, I can't help but think it would be a faff and expensive.
Katie.Dublin Posted - 26/10/2010 : 18:04:50
cover the viv with a cloth when she's there! Simples!
lotabob Posted - 26/10/2010 : 01:13:33
Good luck, and you should take her to see some hatchlings, who couldn't love them. Just leave out the escape artist bits and the they eat mice bits and the grow to upto 5 feet bit and you'll be fine. I know loads of people who have all said I'm mad for getting a snake but after hearing all my stories and seeing pictures and videos they all want to come see him now, they have a charm about them that you just cant help but love.
n/a Posted - 26/10/2010 : 01:03:57
stotty01, vid was good... seen few more of those after that video aswell! good advice hehe will definately keep it in mind in the process of changing mums opinions on snakes. coming too keeping the snake in shed, unless I can perfect the shed and the vivarium for snake... i wont be buying one! even if it does mean a long wait :/ Plus, I would want my snake to be around me so I know everything is fine and I can check it when ever I want so it all comes down to mum unfortunately.
We'll see what happens
lotabob Posted - 26/10/2010 : 00:35:17
I am not doubting your love for snakes, I too (along witheveryone on here) love snakes, I have for 1 reason or another waited about 8 years to get a snake and it really was worth the wait but unless you can house and provide everything the snake needs especially heat then you should hold off a little longer, until you have discussed it properly with your mum (ie she agrees) or you have your own place and then keeping the snake in a shed wont be an issue. Cornsnakes are tough but not that tough.
herriotfan Posted - 25/10/2010 : 22:31:17
Keeping the snake in your room is a much better idea than in the shed. Without proper heating and insulation it would be a nightmare to keep the temps correct in the shed and far too costly.
Get a tiny freezer for the shed to keep your mice in instead. I've got a feeling your mum would go bananas if she went to the normal household freezer and found a load of mice!!
Please think carefully tho'..... what happens when your mum gets back and freaks out because you have a snake? Will she force you to "get rid of it" and how would you feel then, not to mention the poor snake? What a dilema.....
stotty01 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 22:09:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLB0ywx-X00 show your mum this vid, worked for me :)
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 21:04:40
lol I already have :) She is going abroad in a month time and she has a month to accept it... until then, I am saving money for the set of of vivarium weather it is in shed or in my room. IF she don't accept it... I will buy it anyway and keep it in my room until she's back :D
I know, alot of people judge snakes because they are simply snakes. They dont try and see they are as much pets as they are as other pets you get from a Pet Shop :/ I can understand, people fear it but they shouldn't judge a book by its cover :D
Scarlett Posted - 25/10/2010 : 20:58:26
Talk to your mum, keeping the snake in the shed would just be so much hassle and expense. Explain to her that it'll be your responsibility and she never even has to see it if it's in your bedroom. Ask her to trust you, snakes aren't as bad as people believe they are. It's the stupid owners who portray the danger that the snakes get stuck with, they just wanna be left alone most of the time.

Just try talking to her first, tell her you won't even use the word snake just call it "That thing I want to buy" if it helps her lol.
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 20:28:50
ok, i've been doing some research, I found this Reptile Vivarium Ceramic Heat Emitter - Heater 150W http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Reptile-Vivarium-Ceramic-Heat-Emitter-Heater-150W-/120522352996?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item1c0fb12964#ht_3102wt_1139.... I am thinking, what if I was to get 3 or 4 of these with temperature controller and set up the vivarium like this... wouldnt this make it possible for me to keep my snake in shed?
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 20:12:37
true... I just hope I can make it possible for my snake to live in shed without any problems :/
Figs Posted - 25/10/2010 : 19:05:11
Sand and UV lighting is pretty much useless for corn snakes, and i've heard bad things about those heat rocks.
It'd probably work out cheaper buying things separately - then you could make sure that you only get what you need
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 18:17:59
would something like this work?
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bearded-Dragon-Starter-Kit-36-3ft-Vivarium-/110586597560?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item19bf7990b8#ht_1715wt_905)
or would it be better if I bought a vivarium and got the equipment seperately? :S
Tiffany-x Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:42:20
You can get a full set up for about 100-150 quid. So the rest you could spend on looking for a good heating source. Obviously it is your decision but thats what I would do. I hope you arrange something soon. :)
Tiffany-x
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:36:48
i was thinking of a equipment for the vivarium... I could spend around £200 - £300max for viv, temp, decorations etc I really need a snake, in that way mum would leave house and i wont have any problems hehe :(
Tiffany-x Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:24:12
You could always buy one of those convection heater things that you plug in but depending on the size of your shed you may need a couple and im not too sure how warm it would actually make your shed. It would be worth a try but obviously would be costly and a waste of money if the temperature is not sufficient. :)
Tiffany-x
n/a Posted - 25/10/2010 : 17:15:22
thanx for the replies.. here is the senario, Shed is not insulated :/ yes I could run electric in there BUT no matter what I use to keep it warm, it will be in the back of my mind that its really cold outside lol I was thinking of a proper vivarium, proper heating with temp control but shed is the last option for me.

coming to convincing mum, how can I convince someone that cant even talk about snakes? :/ I mention it to her and she has a nightmare the same night :/ however, I am 22 (Rachiepotatoe), and I do have the power of ignoring how she feels and buy my snake regardless BUT i rather not choose that path :/ (still deciding lol)

Aint there no equipment for temperature control that would provide heat at balance at all times? so when it gets colder, it heats up, and when its hot that cools down :/
rachiepotatoe Posted - 25/10/2010 : 14:34:58
I think you're better off trying to convince her to let you have one in your room
Tell her all the good things about snakes!
They dont make a mess, they teach you lots of responsibility (dunno how old you are)
They are unlikely to bite if you tame them, plus she wouldnt be holding it anyway!
They don't chew up the furniture, etc etc :)
Let her know you've done alot of research and know what your doing with the snake, this did it for my mom.

The only other option is to insulate your shed very well and get electric running through it, which I guess would be very expensive...
just beg! and do lots of nice things for her ;D !!
FiestaSTLou Posted - 25/10/2010 : 11:39:52
I take it ur shed has electric running it in?

also when u say ur mum goes there ALOT how often? as if your contantly moving the snake back and forth it could stress it out.
Mort13 Posted - 25/10/2010 : 11:15:49
I agree with drchino,take your mum to see some hatchlings.
My mum was always wary of snakes and was nervous of coming round my house when I first got Loki.
She watched me with him,I asked her if she wanted to stroke him and after a few minutes more she held him. She's now gone from being afraid to thinking he's a beautiful gentle animal. Its worth a whirl

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000