The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How do you pick yours up?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Red123 Posted - 20/10/2010 : 11:56:42
Ok, I have 2 baby corns both approx 2 months old. They are happy to be held but picking them up is a different matter. They don't strike but one flicks its tail like a rattle snake! This does not bother me as he is so small but both almost leap out of the faunarium as I try to pick them up. They jump and move with amazing speed. I've tried waiting for them to come to me and slither on to my hand but I think I would still be sitting there after 3 weeks of having them. I normally try to ease my hand underneath them but they are off so end up having to gently clasp their body half way down. Is there a better way to pick them up or will it just improve in time?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
drchino Posted - 20/10/2010 : 20:34:06
They'll come round, my snake used to jump a mile as soon as I touched her but she's fine now. I found the best thing is to just open the door/lid, let them see your hand and just pick them up. I find if you hover around or watch them for a bit first it makes them more nervous. After a while they'll be a bit more relaxed about being picked up... even if they don't necessarily like it! My Izzy always tries to jump out my hand when I first grab her but after a couple of minutes she doesnt want to be put down!!
eeji Posted - 20/10/2010 : 18:30:35
i use one hand to touch the snake near the tail end and then the other to catch it when it tries to escape :)
stotty01 Posted - 20/10/2010 : 18:27:42
go in as quite slow then pick it up quite quickly if she is in a bad mood, but if in a good mood just go in see her and pick her up casually :)
tehbunneh Posted - 20/10/2010 : 18:23:32
Ripley has always been quite calm, so I have always been able to pick him up by just finding a good coil in the middle somewhere and just gripping him firmly but gently, then wrapping him around my fingers for support. There was a short time where he was very tail-rattly and frustrated, but I continued to do the same. It means that at least you have a firm grip so if they do decide to shoot off suddenly, they can't fall or get too far before you can tighten your grip a little more and halt their progress. Iunno if that's the best way of doing it, but it seems to work with Ripley, and he certainly doesn't try to escape, or seem to feel insecure. He's happy to settle around my fingers, and is more then happy to get lifted in whatever way suits the particular time.

I find a lot of the recently he's been in his toilet roll holder-cum-hide, so I just lift it out and slide him out of it XD He doesn't seem to mind, but as I've said before, he's such a placid snake, he's more then happy for that to be the case, lol!
Red123 Posted - 20/10/2010 : 13:57:20
Thanks for that. Its nice to know that I am doing things right.
FiestaSTLou Posted - 20/10/2010 : 12:53:26
It does calm down, well in most cornsnakes, our amel was like this when we got her, she was about 1.5 years, and she woud jump about n rattle her tail n try strike us lol, it did start to put me off but abit, but as advised by the great people on here i was told to keep trying otherwise she will think she has won mwahaha! she didnt tho! i did haha, shes still not the sort of sake them will climb out on ur arm.. if i put my hand in there she will think its food and strike! she teases me and follows me like she wants to come out and wait fors me to put my hand in haha, but if i go to pick up her she dosnt go phyco anymore, the only time shes touche is when shes in shed.

Its quite intreguing how they jump! it did make me chuckle when i fist saw it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/10/2010 : 12:24:18
I think your using a good method, as they calm down and get used to you they will most likely stop flailing about and zooming all around the tank.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000