The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat Mat & Anti-bac Questions!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tehbunneh Posted - 15/10/2010 : 23:29:12
Hey guys!

I've recently acquired for free a 2'x15.5"x15.5" vivarium, and have just started buying all the gear to set it up so Ripley can move out of his 4L RUB! However! On reading some of the set-up how-to's, they mention sticking down the heat mat to the bottom of the wooden vivarium, to avoid the snake getting underneath, getting trapped, and possibly getting burnt! Now, I really don't want this happening to my little Rippers, so I was wondering, how do those with wooden vivs stick their heat mats down? Do you use double sided sticky tape? Glue? Silicone?

Also, I think I've got my check list ticked off, but is there possibly anything I've forgotten in my purchasing for the move?:

• Heatmat - 1/3-1/2 of the size of the viv (11"x11")

• Matstat

• Digithermometer

• Climbing materials (two small decorawood)

• Plastic plant cover (three sprigs of ivy from Dunelm)

I've already got aspen, water and food bowls (though he gets put in an ice cream tub to be fed currently!) some stones and also hides. I need to do some maintenance on the viv before he goes in - siliconing the seams, putting a new vent grill on the back, and also installing a touch led light, that is already ordered. Should I have anything else on hand to get this bad boy set up?

Also, I just wanted to ask you guys, as I've seen little mention of it on these forums - do you guys use any form of anti-bac hand wash before handling your snakes? I've gotten into the habit, and am unlikely to change, but is it true that there is a small possibility of getting salmonella from corns? I don't mind using the anti-bac, as it protects me also from smelling of food or some other enticing morsel that could make Rip strike, and he doesn't seem to care, almost seems frightened by my hand if I try to pick him up without using the anti-bac first! We were recommended it by the shop, but was that just them covering their backs in case he tried to strike due to a possible smell of food?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tehbunneh Posted - 16/10/2010 : 16:15:35
Aww, excellent guys, thanks so much, I feel a lot better about setting meself up now!!
hillzi Posted - 16/10/2010 : 15:39:34
Nah, I just throw a hide over the mat and weigh down both probes.

[quote]Originally posted by tehbunneh

to avoid the snake getting underneath, getting trapped, and possibly getting burnt!

This isn't aimed at you, but at the people that say snakes will get under the mat and burn are complete doofuses, if the heatmats on a stat.. the snake won't burn.

The probe may move when the snake tries to get under it, but with any luck it won't fall off contact with the mat, with an 11x10/11cm mat..
lee2308 Posted - 16/10/2010 : 14:38:49
me too,just weighed down with hide.
chrish Posted - 16/10/2010 : 11:46:42
I dont use any special anti-bacterial handwash, just wash my hands with normal soap afterwards.

As for sticking the heat mat down then i havent in either of mine, same as GP, just pinned down with decor. I cant see that it would cause any harm even if the snakie got under it though? Surely the heat output from the bottom of the mat is the same as from the top? So if its stated properly and they can quite happily sit on top of it then surely they must be able to sit under it aswell?
gingerpony Posted - 16/10/2010 : 09:21:23
yes salmonella is transmissable from snakes to people if you don't follow good hygiene procedures but the risk is pretty low

if the viv needs resealing use aquarium grade silicone sealant not normal household stuff, vents can be purchased from loobylou on the dark side

as for the heatmat, i just have mine resting on the viv floor and pinned down with decor such as rocks and hides

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000