The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Sleeping Outside The Hide - Normal?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 07/10/2010 : 11:34:41
Okay this may be a silly question but I was curious :/
I bought Cornelius last Friday and have gone with the rule of thumb to not handle him for a week, my hand has only been in there to change the water each day. Every morning for the past week I have woken up to find him happily asleep inside one of his hides. This morning I got up to find him curled up on top of his warm hide, in the exact same position as he was when I went to bed last night. As I don't want to handle him until tomorrow could someone tell me if he's simply chosen a different spot, or feeling more comfortable not hiding any more etc, or if it's unusual for a snake to to stay in the same position all night?

Am I just over reacting? Lol
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
drchino Posted - 07/10/2010 : 16:39:48
After Izzys eaten a big meal or if shes about to shed she look like she's been asleep for days but I can see slight evidence that shes had a quick look around and gone back to bed! She's got loads of hides and still ends up sleeping half covered in the leaves! I don't mind cos she looks cute all curled up.

Sounds like you've got a nice confident snake though
herriotfan Posted - 07/10/2010 : 15:28:11
How cute, bless him. He must be happy there. Good luck with the first handling session!
Sadie_Hunt Posted - 07/10/2010 : 11:51:33
I double checked the temps and the warm end is at 29.5.
Thanks for the reassurance :D Hopefully this is a good sign for tomorrow when I bring him out for the first time (and hopefully get some pictures hehe)
Kellog Posted - 07/10/2010 : 11:48:07
Dont worry about over-reacting Sadie....its our snakes' job to worry us !

Cornelius will sleep wherever he wants to sleep ....and the fact that he has chosen to sleep on top of the hide is probably a good sign that he is feeling safe in his faun and not threatened, otherwise he would be hiding away.

I also doubt he stayed in the same position all night, although it may look like it to you! He has probably been out and about exploring while you have been sleeping and then returned to where he is happy sleeping (some snakes even choose up their vines to sleep ).

The only thing I would double check is that the temps are ok in the warm end....but I am sure they are and it is purely a sign of a happy, settled snake .

xxx
n/a Posted - 07/10/2010 : 11:47:42
sounds to me like you have a very comfortable snake there. my Steve used to like sleeping right on top of one of his plants near the opening, swear he did it only so he could come out as soon as we opened the door. lol
all snakes are different so i wouldn't worry too much, good luck with handling him tomorrow.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000